**** Doc Ock (No Way Home) ****

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No one has ever had any problem beating Polaris. 

The problem people have with Polaris is that she's so much better than all the other 4* characters that she's turned the 4* tier into the Polaris tier.  Any 4* who doesn't either complement or counter Polaris is irrelevant.

The devs seem to be embracing this, though, by exclusively releasing 4* characters that either complement or counter Polaris.
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    First off, Woo! So excited to see him added. 

Second. I know it's early but I'm calling it. He's going to likely feed Electro. Hoping so atleast. 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Nice. Good ap generation. I’m thinking 3/5/5 unless they can make countdowns then 5/3/5. Funny this isn’t cross-posted in Character Discussion. Probably an oversight. @IceIX
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Funny this isn’t cross-posted in Character Discussion. Probably an oversight. @IceIX
    Fixed, thanks for that!
  • Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2021
    Options
    This is awesome love the Molina Doc Ock.This makes up for that lackluster big wheel reveal.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2021
    Options
    So I’m seeing his yellow generates 6 AP in a chosen color ?  Is that correct? Because Valkyrie with a character whose primary is yellow (Okoye/ Talon) means 6 AP are being generated at least every other turn . Feeding black would give Doc up to 6 separate damage boosted attacks every 3 to 4 turns .  What’s wrong with my theory ? 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I’m seeing his yellow generates 6 AP in a chosen color ?  Is that correct? Because Valkyrie with a character whose primary is yellow (Okoye/ Talon) means 6 AP are being generated at least every other turn . Feeding black would give Doc up to 6 separate damage boosted attacks every 3 to 4 turns .  What’s wrong with my theory ? 
    That must be why Ock's ability has to be yellow.  You'd need an awful lot of yellow AP to cast both characters' abilities reliably, and Okoye without her yellow is much less effective.

It might work!  But it probably depends on board luck more than other Okoye teams would.

Unrelated old player side note: it's funny how yellow has gone from unquestionably the worst color in the game (I remember like 2015 when yellow was only passives, bad healing powers, and bad protect tile powers) to now where they balance good powers by making them yellow.
  • KillaBeeSwarm
    KillaBeeSwarm Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    That must be why Ock's ability has to be yellow.  You'd need an awful lot of yellow AP to cast both characters' abilities reliably, and Okoye without her yellow is much less effective.

It might work!  But it probably depends on board luck more than other Okoye teams would.

Unrelated old player side note: it's funny how yellow has gone from unquestionably the worst color in the game (I remember like 2015 when yellow was only passives, bad healing powers, and bad protect tile powers) to now where they balance good powers by making them yellow.
    Yes, I remember the original 3* Iron Man's yellow was really bad. My memory of the details isn't great, but I think the debate was is it better to have him with one yellow or zero yellow covers.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX said:
    As a surprise to absolutely no one due to the ability descriptions other than maybe those hoping for Omega Red, we've got 4-Star Doc Ock coming to MPQ on 12/30!

Just to clarify. He IS named Doc Ock in this incarnation, not Doctor Octopus. No, he's not playable with other Doctor... Octopi?
    Octopuses
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Okoye/Valkyrie/Doc Ock could be interesting.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Options

Okoye/Valkyrie/Doc Ock could be interesting.
    6 separate black attacks plus 5 from Valkyrie , all boosted, and you’re not dependent on one color . Definitely going to try it in PvE 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If my maths is right, you can get +5 red or pink AP from firing his yellow if there's already a red or pink tentacle on the board?

That makes ShangChi VERY happy. In addition to the black power being a board shuffle like GEDoom's yellow is. 

There could also be a disgusting winfinite if you use D4ck0c, BRB and polaris.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    He's a number of potential winfinite pairs that require these characters:

Heimdall, Shuri, 4* Black Widow
    5* Storm, Sersi
    5* Hawkeye, Agent Coulson
    4* Kingpin, Sandman
    Shang Chi, Karnak

All of them have been tested out only in my imagination, so I need to wait until I champ him to have a feel.

• Breadsticks
    Breadsticks Posts: 85 Match Maker
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Seems like he could be used to make some otherwise unplayable characters some have time with his AP ability. I realized reading his abilities that he and Vulture would compliment each other well. I wonder if they did this on purpose or it just worked out that way. Original Sinister Six members working together. 

Is it possible for Electro to work with those two? 
  • Sekilicious
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Seems like he could be used to make some otherwise unplayable characters some have time with his AP ability. I realized reading his abilities that he and Vulture would compliment each other well. I wonder if they did this on purpose or it just worked out that way. Original Sinister Six members working together. 

Is it possible for Electro to work with those two? 
    Electro, Vulture, and Doc Ock might be fun against anyone with AoE. Ock can spam Electro’s yellow generation, Vulture can just fly around and rain down blue, green, and red ap for the other two. Electro can keep her nuke in her pocket just in case. I think you’re on to something.

*edit I must have been thinking of an alternate universe where Electro uses red ap.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options

The devs seem to be embracing this, though, by exclusively releasing 4* characters that either complement or counter Polaris.
    I think that is a projection of the players who are looking for a counter or complement to Polaris. But if you look at recent releases, Ikaris doesn't affect Polaris at all, Echo does very little to help her. Blob both makes special tiles and removes them, to to say it is a counter or complement to Polaris is something of a toss up
  • Sekilicious
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Jacklag said:

I think that is a projection of the players who are looking for a counter or complement to Polaris. But if you look at recent releases, Ikaris doesn't affect Polaris at all, Echo does very little to help her. Blob both makes special tiles and removes them, to to say it is a counter or complement to Polaris is something of a toss up
    I agree. Polaris is such a force I sometimes think we just assume everything is a counter/complement. For example, in his thread it was noted that Ikaris complements her as is you can get him flying she boosts his damage to the rear character. But the synergy is with Grocket, Polaris just has great synergy with them, and Ikaris benefits. It works just as effectively with Kitty and no Polaris. Same with Blob though there is better synergy with Polaris creating more SAP tiles. Apocalypse and C4rnage would also have great synergy with Blob if people ran them together. Maybe a little slower. The 4* meta is definitely driven by SAPs. If it wasn’t then  Karnak and Chavez would rule with an iron fist. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Jacklag said:

I agree. Polaris is such a force I sometimes think we just assume everything is a counter/complement. For example, in his thread it was noted that Ikaris complements her as is you can get him flying she boosts his damage to the rear character. But the synergy is with Grocket, Polaris just has great synergy with them, and Ikaris benefits. It works just as effectively with Kitty and no Polaris. Same with Blob though there is better synergy with Polaris creating more SAP tiles. Apocalypse and C4rnage would also have great synergy with Blob if people ran them together. Maybe a little slower. The 4* meta is definitely driven by SAPs. If it wasn’t then  Karnak and Chavez would rule with an iron fist. 
    You’re Exhibit A as to her problem, and the 75% of other players you copy. I’m so tired of beating your BRBitty/ Polaris in PvP.  This is why everyone loved the last PvP 1 on 1. We finally had an event that broke the monotony. I would love daily character usage limits even if just in PvP. Or if you beat a team once , MPQ blocks mirror matches of that team for the remainder of the event .