On Introducing... Events

2»

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought the introducing events were a good idea that was badly executed 
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I for one liked the Introducing... Events, for the bit of lore they shared into sometimes obscure (and in two cases completely unheard) characters.

I imagined this events had some sort of customizable framework and creating each one was just a matter of selecting the enemies and writing the text for each node.

But if the development effort is too high, it's a shame to see them go
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 488 Mover and Shaker
    They can always put the lore text into the first 2 loaner nodes in Welcome to Shield. Only problem is that 5 star characters will not get the same treatment...
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always liked the background given on the Introducing events, mainly because I'm not forced to go take the time to look up the info online... it's part of my daily grind!

Also, I'd turn the animations on for Introducing events... because it was a good opportunity to see those things without it slowing down my normal grind(s).

But oh well... happy to know that the rewards will go elsewhere.  As for background info, I guess I'll look it up if I get curious.  I'm sure Big Wheel would've required that attention because I wouldn't have believed the character at first sight.  :)
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Coming back to this now that we've had a 5* introduced without an Introducing event...

I quite liked the Introducing events, but I understand that the time may be better spent on events that get used more than once or other aspects of the game. Still, one issue that we have now is that we only get to try out the 5* character in the PvP. This isn't always great for testing the true potential of a new character for a couple of reasons. Firstly, we only get to use a 1/1/1 character and so don't get a feel for what they'll be like with full covers. Secondly, for those of us in 4*/5*, PvP typically just gets dominated by the boosted or meta characters. As much as I'm enjoying playing Abigail with Ultron and Mantis, I feel that it's the latter two that are doing most of the work.

It seems to me an obvious solution to this is to have Welcome to SHIELD for all new characters, not just the 4*. Is there a reason why this isn't done?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    If we were to look at the difficulty and requirements for 4* shield training, a 5* shield training will probably throw us back to the previous incarnation of shield training requirements, where we need 3 4* at a certain level.

Since the revised 4* shield training requires 1 specific 5* as essential, naturally, 5* shield training will require 2 or 3 specific 5*. And the level of enemies will probably be 800-1000. Such gate will probably make a lot of players angry. On top of that, the 5* shards given will be pretty insulting, like 50?
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,590 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just miss the events and not being able to play around with the new characters.
    I never read the story, but I would run each node 3-5 times to get a feel for the new character.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    That would be convenient however I can think on a powerful reason for that not happening: devs won't give a LL token each 2 weeks. 
    I liked introducing to as a way to experiment with the new character but that purpose is merely "commercial".
    I would be a lot more pleased if they invest that time into a new funny regular mode. 
    Or if they invest it on more rebalances, although I don't have those olds characters champed. 
  • fractalvisions
    If we were to look at the difficulty and requirements for 4* shield training, a 5* shield training will probably throw us back to the previous incarnation of shield training requirements, where we need 3 4* at a certain level.

Since the revised 4* shield training requires 1 specific 5* as essential, naturally, 5* shield training will require 2 or 3 specific 5*. And the level of enemies will probably be 800-1000. Such gate will probably make a lot of players angry. On top of that, the 5* shards given will be pretty insulting, like 50?
    Why would it need to be any harder than 4* welcome to shield if the purpose is to introduce the character and give out a few shards?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    Because it's giving 5* shards and it's targeted at 5* players? Anyway, I forgot that players can still play the first row and both 1v1 nodes and probably get 15 5* shards. The second to fourth row will be gated by 5* essentials.

Back then the three essential nodes in the old shield training were gated behind 3 4*, at three different levels. Then, the last row that gave LT was gated behind whales.

The revised or current shield training did away with 4* level gating and instead replaced them with 1 cover of 2*, 3* and 4*  essential character instead. The last row that gave LT is gated by 5* essential, and 4* cover became 200 4* shards instead.

Based on past histories, 5* shield training will naturally be harder. Again, players can still play the first rows for testing purposes. The rest of the 5* shards and LT will be gated by 5*.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,633 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why wouldn't they just give out less stuff?
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 488 Mover and Shaker
    I always wished this game had a sandbox mode where you can mess around with any character and toggle their levels.

Maybe a bit too much to ask for a mobile game.
  • fractalvisions
    Bad said:
    That would be convenient however I can think on a powerful reason for that not happening: devs won't give a LL token each 2 weeks. 

They give out a LL every 5 days in the CotT. One extra a month (and only if you have the required 5*) would hardly be a game changer.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    I don't like that we now have very little opportunity to learn what the new 5*s actually do. And that we still won't hardly know until the first time they are the featured 5E in PVE (in what, 4-5 weeks?)

Yes, they have a PVP on their opening weekend, but does a 1/1/1 loaner really contribute anything to the cause? Do we take time to go out of our way (in-season, nevertheless) to cherry-pick weak or under-covered characters to bring to battle just so it lasts long enough to give the new 5* a decent first impression? Sure we could try select potential synergistic characters, but they will surely out-shine the new 5* loaner every time just due to their higher levels.

INTRODUCING... had it's flaws (poorly pre-selected allies/opponents) but at least some nodes allowed you to choose an ally or two for testing purposes and typically the new 5* was given enough covers/levels and health to take them for a meaningful test-drive.

Part of this is on me, my priorities, and my time constraints but I played 50 battles and have over 2,200 points in Abigail's PVP event and I still have NO IDEA what she does or doesn't do. And now I won't be able to find out any more about her for a month. At least a new 4* is always the PVE Featured 4E the following week (plus we still have their WTS event)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bzhai said:
    I always wished this game had a sandbox mode where you can mess around with any character and toggle their levels.

A game mode where you can try out the new characters and determine you don't like them and then NOT chase them?

Never in a million years.

The whole game is designed to keep you on the treadmill, they are never going to let you have a sample that might encourage you to step off the treadmill for a bit. It has nothing to do with whether or not it's "too much to ask," because they're never going to look into it because it's not in their best interest.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    Things have improved a lot with 5* from when they were hardly relevant to anything. First we got the 5* PvE nodes which gave them a purpose. I always scratched my head as to why they didn't get PvP as an incentive to chase them on a "Try before you buy" type issue - of course I can understand the Devs wanting to force players to chase regardless but I think new 5* PvP's have worked out well. The Introducing event was never really all that great - the Devs seemed to deliberately pick situations where you couldn't really optimise new 5's powers and try out anything. If they are putting that time and effort elsewhere that is OK with me.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    Bzhai said:

A game mode where you can try out the new characters and determine you don't like them and then NOT chase them?

Never in a million years.

The whole game is designed to keep you on the treadmill, they are never going to let you have a sample that might encourage you to step off the treadmill for a bit. It has nothing to do with whether or not it's "too much to ask," because they're never going to look into it because it's not in their best interest.

I thought the same thing about League of Legends. People wanted a training mode for the longest time.  

And eventually (after like 7 years) they implemented it  

Maybe sometime next year it can be added
  • loslupus
    loslupus Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Damn, those new Event Quests sure need a lot of refinement. About four months and counting. Seems to be a new case of coming soon of SCL10.