On Introducing... Events

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin

Hi all, wanted to give a heads up that we’re going to be shifting direction a bit on development to put some more time on some other features. Towards that end, we’re going to be suspending active development on new Introducing… Events for new characters for the foreseeable future.

We know that a lot of you like seeing the origins of characters that come into the game, not to mention the rewards that come out of clearing the event. So rather than just cut these out of the game then going radio silent on reasoning, we wanted to at least let you know where we’re redistributing the efforts we’d be putting into these pieces of content.

Essentially, with the freed design and dev space that we’ll get from these events, we’ll shift resources to ramping up the creation and refinement of Event Quests similar to how the current Holiday Event Quests work. We’ll also be spreading the rewards that players would have gotten in the Introducing… Events into these Quests so that players won’t miss out on those due to the change in content.

We don’t yet have an exact date as to when these Event Quests will be starting up, as we need to get the dev(s) responsible shifted over and ramped up on that portion of work from being deep in the comics history mines first. When we have more information available there, we’ll share it!

Thanks as always for playing and supporting Marvel Puzzle Quest!

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,633 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for explaining what's happening and why.

This is fine.  I can't find anything to complain about here, but I'm pretty sure someone will!
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the information. It is appreciated.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like that. I hope that resources shifting could traslate into more funny content. 
    I really appreciate all those small gauntlets, and I hope a good new regular event could find a place.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for sharing the upcoming plan for next year. 
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    I was going to complain, but you promised that I will still be able to earn the missing rewards elsewhere. Thanks for being upfront and honest! (And thank you for not depriving me of my precious.)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a good change I think, and I also really appreciate just laying it out.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker
    Explaining that the rewards are staying put does a lot towards maintaining goodwill. Thank you!
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    I appreciate ya'll letting us know what's going on, I've enjoyed your introducing... events and hope I'll enjoy what comes next :)
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,590 Chairperson of the Boards
    So will there be another way to test out these new characters when they arrive or what?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,789 Chairperson of the Boards
    Couldn’t care less, almost every single time the synergy never even works to show how the new release works or will be fun. Take them away forever tbh. Doesn’t serve its purpose for me.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Tony_Foot said:
    Couldn’t care less, almost every single time the synergy never even works to show how the new release works or will be fun. Take them away forever tbh. Doesn’t serve its purpose for me.
    I agree. Having 5 nodes where you mostly can use just that character or are cornered into using them with storyline specific partners doesn't really help introduce us the possibilities of the character.
    The rewards being directed elsewhere makes this a good move. I would rather them spend their time and resources elsewhere.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,578 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some Iso, 15 shards for the new character, and a heroic token?
    Sure, put it wherever. :)  The introductions are neat to see more about the new character, but it's not like that information isn't available by the truckload on the internet.
    I must admit, I'm thoroughly amused by all the puns in the most recent one...
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    I agree, the introducing...events were awful at showcasing what a character could do.  Like...odin in 1 on 1 fights lol.  Would've much preferred if effort was put into that.

On the other hand, did it really take that long to wiki a character's story and slap a few fights together?  It's really worrisome that this is something that takes this much.  Did you cut someone's hours and they lost a 10 min break?
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,633 Chairperson of the Boards
    Each one of these had a completely unique background, with scenes cut from the character's comic appearances that tell their origins/major plotlines, etc.

If it was just throwing together a few random fights it wouldn't take any time at all.  It's always the art assets that take the most time.

It seems like this was wasted effort since nobody really paid much attention to it, so it makes sense to stop doing it.
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    What about the children? Won't somebody PLEASE think about the children?!?!

Thanks for letting us know. Not bothered by this at all. So when the next character gets introduced without an event, we'll have a link to refer the inevitable people who ask where the Introducing event is.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Thank you for the update @IceIX

Do you have plans for how many 4s or 5s you are going to rework / buff / adjust  next year? Things like Ironman (5star) and Captain America (not infinity war) are never seen. We know you have the usage data on them :D 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's good. I never really played the introducing events, so no loss for me.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I liked the introduction events although I agree they didn't really design the nodes and enemies to best suit the new characters power set. It was still fun to be able to get a sample of the new characters and see their abilities and animations., I will miss that.