Week 30: Doom GE, Havok, Thanos, Yelena

2»

Comments

• Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Bad said:
    Havok always deals damage however he needs a LOT of AP. He was the first one ignoring protects on his red power and apocalypse quickly outclassed him.
    He suffers from same ultron's disease: too much AP for a power that won't stop the enemy.
    His green is crazy expensive, perhaps because of his blue power channeling green, but still ineffective. If it was the opposite, red destroying special tiles and green ignoring protects, at least there would be a reason to fire green when the britty team has a protect flooded board.
    Loki can be annoying on his invisibility, and by the way naughty or nice pvp was a ultimate showdown of SC teams in all variations.

I’m not sure how other people find SC but mine had trouble making it to 750 points in Naughty or Nice. I bleed points faster than I can make them. Maybe I will have to start shield hopping to make it to 900, lol. 
    Is your Shang Chi champed? I ran mine as 5 / 5 / 3 spread and partnered with Wanda and Onslaught.  

Climbed to 450ish points with 30ish hours remaining (final ending slice scl10). Then went straight to 930ish points with ~10ish hours remaining on the timer before shielding. At 700 points I start to use pink+2 ap boost and +all ap boost to get wanda's pink fired on red colour from turn 1. Only got hit 4-5 times over the whole climb.  

Sure it costs more HP than a 8 or 3 hr shield, but it's a lot less stressful @Sekilicious
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Srheer0 said:
    Bad said:
    Havok always deals damage however he needs a LOT of AP. He was the first one ignoring protects on his red power and apocalypse quickly outclassed him.
    He suffers from same ultron's disease: too much AP for a power that won't stop the enemy.
    His green is crazy expensive, perhaps because of his blue power channeling green, but still ineffective. If it was the opposite, red destroying special tiles and green ignoring protects, at least there would be a reason to fire green when the britty team has a protect flooded board.
    Loki can be annoying on his invisibility, and by the way naughty or nice pvp was a ultimate showdown of SC teams in all variations.

I’m not sure how other people find SC but mine had trouble making it to 750 points in Naughty or Nice. I bleed points faster than I can make them. Maybe I will have to start shield hopping to make it to 900, lol. 
    Is your Shang Chi champed? I ran mine as 5 / 5 / 3 spread and partnered with Wanda and Onslaught.  

Climbed to 450ish points with 30ish hours remaining (final ending slice scl10). Then went straight to 930ish points with ~10ish hours remaining on the timer before shielding. At 700 points I start to use pink+2 ap boost and +all ap boost to get wanda's pink fired on red colour from turn 1. Only got hit 4-5 times over the whole climb.  

Sure it costs more HP than a 8 or 3 hr shield, but it's a lot less stressful @Sekilicious
    Your results are probably more the result of your event/ play timing than your actual team composition.  Pretty much any realistic roster can climb to their end point goal if they use appropriate event timing and shields.  Any time you push to a shield before the 24 hour mark should be a pretty smooth experience.  Inside 24 hours, expect hits to be more often and from bigger teams.  Anytime you approach common shield points like 24hrs, 19hrs, 16hrs, 14, 11, 8, 3 hrs expect both more highpoint targets and more hits.  Typically people play the hour before and after those marks because they are common shield points that are easy to cover with 24, 8, and 3hr shields.  Inside the 8 and 3 hr mark, expect a lot less targets and much more aggressive playstyles. 

I personally find the 27-16 hour mark to be the ideal climbing window where you'll have plenty of high point targets, and fewer hits.  Even when you do get hit, they are usually sporadically placed because those players are typically looking for easier ques in their mmr vs inside 8hrs, people will look for high point targets without regard to how big their targets actually are.  

Of course your experience all depends on how the relative difference in rosters actually are.  But no matter who you are, theirs always someone who is willing and able to hit you.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The above window frame is pretty true for me in slice one. I think he's playing in slice 2 or 5 where he got beaten down aggressively whenever he crosses high 900 mark.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    The above window frame is pretty true for me in slice one. I think he's playing in slice 2 or 5 where he got beaten down aggressively whenever he crosses high 900 mark.
    Nope, it was Slice 4 and it was when I was pushing between 700 and 800pts. I do agree I was noticed this during a peak time as it was around 8am my time (on the weekend no less) though I can't remember how much time was left.  I am also a juicy target because Shang-Chi and Valkyrie suck of defense. I would love a champed Wanda right now. Sersi might be good offensively but will provide a similar defense to SC and Valk. Whatever, 75 wins is easy because I just hit them back. No one can stand before the might of the user.

Here's hoping for BRB and Apocalypse in the Holiday Store, haha. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

You took a small 5* carrot piece and you are looking forward for more, that's the spirit lol! It's a whole new game. 
    Play on slice 1 at any bracket, it's my advice. In non competitive slices one guy climbing can have a tough time finding points, and at the same time he is a juicy target.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope, it was Slice 4 and it was when I was pushing between 700 and 800pts. I do agree I was noticed this during a peak time as it was around 8am my time (on the weekend no less) though I can't remember how much time was left.  I am also a juicy target because Shang-Chi and Valkyrie suck of defense. I would love a champed Wanda right now. Sersi might be good offensively but will provide a similar defense to SC and Valk. Whatever, 75 wins is easy because I just hit them back. No one can stand before the might of the user.

I suspect a big part of what you saw was that season scl 10 had just flipped on Sunday morning (west coast time)  I don't know too much about the dynamics of shard 4, but I know that the first event of a new season is heavily affected by season bracket flips.

The last bracket flip of an event is also pretty dynamic, not just because of the flip but because certain play styles gravitate to either the first, second or last bracket.  Overall its quite interesting to see how player psychology affects mmr and the types of targets and ques that you see.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:

You took a small 5* carrot piece and you are looking forward for more, that's the spirit lol! It's a whole new game. 
    Play on slice 1 at any bracket, it's my advice. In non competitive slices one guy climbing can have a tough time finding points, and at the same time he is a juicy target.
    Sounds good. I am in Slice 1 now so we will see how it goes. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    Havok actually isn't bad in the pick 2 PVP with 5Thanos.  His blue/red can hit hard and doesn't overlap with 5Thanos.  And his health is large enough to withstand a few hits.  Not great, but not bad.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Havok actually isn't bad in the pick 2 PVP with 5Thanos.  His blue/red can hit hard and doesn't overlap with 5Thanos.  And his health is large enough to withstand a few hits.  Not great, but not bad.

Havok is just a damage stick with decent (now slightly out-of-date damage output). So I'm not surprised he does good damage when boosted. The problem with him has always been that he has not passives or any other strong tricks. His ap arbitrage is useful but nothing to build around (it's better to just build around generating whatever color ap you actually want), and he still needs a good batrery.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    I appreciate him more now after using him boosted (I also settled on Havok/Thano5), but i don't know if that will persist into his off weeks.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with Dr Doom over Havok because he does the damage stick thing better, plus he heals (important with Thanos) and feeds his own damage power.

I forgot how absolutely insane a high level boosted Thanos is.  My Court Death is a 70k AoE.  A bunch of these fights were over in one move.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a person with no 550s and a bunch of baby champs, Yelena was my MVP. She is such a killer boosted against these other boosted characters that are actually relying on powers to do damage. 

I also think boosted Havok is underrated. I think he’s better at the damage thing than Doom, since he has two big sources to Doom’s one. He also accelerates himself well with the blue charged tiles on the board that lead to converting green to red (thus dropping more blue charged tiles). Clearly Doom is the better all around character, but I’m a big fan of boosted Alex.

Yelena pairs well with Havok or Doom (who also pair well with one another). So I was just doing different iterations of those three. Thanos I broke out as my PVE mvp. This has been a great week of boosts in general as all 4 are ranked pretty closely in my mind. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have Yelena champed, so can't add much there.  But I will say that boosted Havok, with HalfThor and Shang-Chi was lots of fun.  SC does most of the heavy lifting but boosted Havok tanked Red for a while as well as Thor's Green.  Havok's Blue is also very nice and helped create more red for SC while doing decent (40k) damage per hit.