Week 30: Doom GE, Havok, Thanos, Yelena

Bad
Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
Yelena and doom can be annoying on pvp. Thanos could rock it if there was a new 4* with low health. Next time.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hooray for Thanos week!

Did we figure out if Havok is worthwhile when he's boosted?  I always thought he might be but I don't remember.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow  Crazy to think we have had 5* boosts for almost 30 weeks.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Iceman (All-New X-Men), Karolina Dean, Loki (Alligator of Mischief), Mockingbird, and Namor for 4*s. Is Iceman still considered top-tier or did power creep pass him by? I wonder if anyone is brave enough to try him with Namor. Loki should be fun with the Spinfinite but since neither Sigh nor SC are boosted won’t see too much play outside my roster. I will have to reacquaint myself with Mockingbird as well, though she is sitting on the waiting list. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hooray for Thanos week!

Did we figure out if Havok is worthwhile when he's boosted?  I always thought he might be but I don't remember.
    I don’t find him to be useful ever, which is a bummer to me since I like the character.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Havoks numbers are great but this is a passive meta which brings him down I feel.
  • entrailbucket
    I guess that puts the lie to the "numbers buff" type rebalances, doesn't it?  Havok does like eleventy billion damage on everything and he's trash.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2021
    I can’t put my finger on why he isn’t good really. Maybe because he is hard to power on those colors?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Iceman (All-New X-Men), Karolina Dean, Loki (Alligator of Mischief), Mockingbird, and Namor for 4*s. Is Iceman still considered top-tier or did power creep pass him by? I wonder if anyone is brave enough to try him with Namor. Loki should be fun with the Spinfinite but since neither Sigh nor SC are boosted won’t see too much play outside my roster. I will have to reacquaint myself with Mockingbird as well, though she is sitting on the waiting list. 

I think the long 6ap stun keeps him relevant. He was, however, always an unusual member of the meta in that he is an all-active character. That left him out in the cold during the stunner-bro era, and certainly makes it hard for him to keep pace with Polaris and the other top 4*s that can leverage strong passives.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most 5* has at least one passive ability or cd/repeater based effect and he has none. I find that Havok is good for only converting red <-> green using his cheap blue. 

I love some Dr Doom with his potential cascades. What's your build for those who are planning to use him?
  • entrailbucket
    I can’t put my finger on why he isn’t good really. Maybe because he is hard to power on those colors?
    You can't compete with free.
  • Bad
    Havok always deals damage however he needs a LOT of AP. He was the first one ignoring protects on his red power and apocalypse quickly outclassed him.
    He suffers from same ultron's disease: too much AP for a power that won't stop the enemy.
    His green is crazy expensive, perhaps because of his blue power channeling green, but still ineffective. If it was the opposite, red destroying special tiles and green ignoring protects, at least there would be a reason to fire green when the britty team has a protect flooded board.
    Loki can be annoying on his invisibility, and by the way naughty or nice pvp was a ultimate showdown of SC teams in all variations.

• Sekilicious
    Bad said:
    Havok always deals damage however he needs a LOT of AP. He was the first one ignoring protects on his red power and apocalypse quickly outclassed him.
    He suffers from same ultron's disease: too much AP for a power that won't stop the enemy.
    His green is crazy expensive, perhaps because of his blue power channeling green, but still ineffective. If it was the opposite, red destroying special tiles and green ignoring protects, at least there would be a reason to fire green when the britty team has a protect flooded board.
    Loki can be annoying on his invisibility, and by the way naughty or nice pvp was a ultimate showdown of SC teams in all variations.

I’m not sure how other people find SC but mine had trouble making it to 750 points in Naughty or Nice. I bleed points faster than I can make them. Maybe I will have to start shield hopping to make it to 900, lol. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,787 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m not sure how other people find SC but mine had trouble making it to 750 points in Naughty or Nice. I bleed points faster than I can make them. Maybe I will have to start shield hopping to make it to 900, lol. 
    He's an almost hit on sight for me, it's like fighting a 2 player team. On pick 2 it will be even more delicious! It's like the okoye Thor meta where 99.9% of the time it was a gift to hit. Shang is the most fun release in years for me, but I only use him for pve or to win a really tough pvp fight before quickly switching to a better defensive team.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I decided to run Havok with 3* Scott and Thor, and I guess I get what he is about. With this team you chase blue and let the other colors chase themselves. Have Cyclops use his yellow, black if you cascade into enough of it, then just unload with Havok. It worked well Till Thor got winged by somebody and went down. I guess it just isn’t my play style.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Huh. Shockingly picking up defense wins with this team. Wild.
  • Sekilicious
    Tony_Foot said:
    He's an almost hit on sight for me, it's like fighting a 2 player team. On pick 2 it will be even more delicious! It's like the okoye Thor meta where 99.9% of the time it was a gift to hit. Shang is the most fun release in years for me, but I only use him for pve or to win a really tough pvp fight before quickly switching to a better defensive team.
    That is my experience as well it seems. I was challenging boosted Adam Warlock and Carbage then decimated by lesser characters. Maybe I will champ Kitty later this season. I was worried about my MMR but it seems I can handle it offensively. 
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I would say Shang Chi suits aiming for PVP progression rewards via number of wins rather than points unless you can get a half hour spell without being hit - I was able to quickly zip up to 1000 points this morning before shielding, took about 100 point hit on the way up to 1000 but easy retals. The benefit of using him is when you get good with him you are using 0 health packs so you can go for that quick blitz up to whatever your shield out score is. 
  • Bad
    I use to play SC on pvp when there are too many huge health bars and I don't have any. 
    But before hitting 800 the team must be switched.
  • Sekilicious
    I would say Shang Chi suits aiming for PVP progression rewards via number of wins rather than points unless you can get a half hour spell without being hit - I was able to quickly zip up to 1000 points this morning before shielding, took about 100 point hit on the way up to 1000 but easy retals. The benefit of using him is when you get good with him you are using 0 health packs so you can go for that quick blitz up to whatever your shield out score is. 
    Oh yeah. Hopefully it doesn’t sound like I’m complaining. Getting to 75 is dead easy on retaliation nodes alone. Same as the Polaris meta. 
  • entrailbucket
    Why do they even bother boosting 5* in PvP when half the events they run completely ignore the list?