Not with a bang but with a whimper. A poll on burnout in MPQ.

Options
124»

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm burning out. I've reduced my game time. Still playing.
    I absolutely want the very worst characters to be as good as the very best characters.  The only people who don't want that are the hoarders.

That's called balance, and good games try to get to that state.  I don't care if they achieve it by making the bad characters better or the good characters worse.
    Well, as a hoarder I wouldn't be happy to see Wasp better than everyone else.

But then....neither would most players i encounter these days, since almost none of them have Wasp champed. Vets like you and I are getting farther and fewer in between.

To the complainers: I guess there would be a vault, spend hard and blow all your HP.

But to the OP point: I don't mind balance....and that hasn't been something we've seen done (essentially at all) for the last five years. Why start now?

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Other....(please elaborate)
    For what they're worth, here are my 2 cents. There are very few characters I would want to see rebalanced. I'm not against rebalances, though. Obviously, if a character just isn't working as expected, then they should be rebalanced. However, I would much prefer to see more characters released that give the lesser used characters a boost in power or symmetry (i.e. Hydra Stomper with Peggy Carter or Mutants with Apocalypse). 

As with the examples above, there are glimpses of this, but more symmetry like this would greatly help some of those older, lesser used characters. Imagine Hairball, Lockheed, Redwing, or Ms. Lion added to the pet avenger roster that each had symmetry with Lockjaw or Throg. Throg is already an amazing character, but Lockjaw has fallen by the waist side for many so the bonus would be welcomed. Devil Dinosaur could see a lot more use if he had good symmetry with Moon Girl and/or Moon Boy. 

Unfortunately, Wa5p may need a rebalance since her powers are so unique that relatable characters would not likely have much symmetry with her. In this case, I think the rebalance should focus on making her powers more usable rather than giving her more match damage or health. 5* Kingpin, however, has a host of allies and "employees" that could be introduced to provide symmetry, such as Typhoid Mary, Hobgoblin, Alistaire Smythe, and many others. These characters can also act as counters to their nemeses Daredevil and Spider-Man.

If by rebalance, we are talking about more than just making a character meta, then I'm all on board. We have to keep in mind what makes a character 
    unusable in the players' eyes. Giving a character more match damage or health means nothing if they're not used because their powers are seen as garbage.
  • StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm burning out. I've reduced my game time. Still playing.
    So very burned out. Reduced pvp to almost nothing and will,pve sporadically is my guess. Only the community keeps me playing.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can see some problems, but still play regularly. I am happy with most things in the game.
    We don't know a ton of their design philosophy or the specific why's of MPQ, but this is one they have commented on in the past.

ISO is super expensive because they don't want you to buy ISO.

They've said that multiple times. 

Why?  Well, if you think about it it makes a lot of sense.  There's really very little actual game content in MPQ.  Games like this are meant to keep you chasing whatever the next thing is so you don't notice this lack of content.  For most players, ISO is the thing they need the most.  (Yes, a few longtime vets are post-iso, but that's a tiny, tiny percentage of players).

They don't want you to spend a few hundred bucks on iso, max out your whole roster, and then discover there's nothing at the end of that rainbow...because the big secret is: there's nothing at the end of that rainbow. 

Look at all the players in this thread who reached a goal and got bored/burned out.  This game only works when it's a journey.  Once you've reached your destination there's no reason to keep playing.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The game is also designed with choke points to try and slow your progress. Early on it is HP being needed for roster slots. Then it is iso, especially for champing 4* (at least we have saved covers now thankfully!) and then it is rarity of cover acquisition in the 5* tier. There has often been asked the question of why are 4* so costly to champ? Because they want to slow you down.
    As Entrailbucket says there isn't really a "Game over you rescued the Princess" moment apart from any goals you set yourself.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 450 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2021
    Options
    There are a number of problems, but I deal with them.
    Srheer0 said:

My idea, and I hope they end up doing this at some point is for the following;

Do a forum poll with the 10 least used 5stars (d3 have the statistics / analytics)

Fans vote on it over a week period. They then rebalance the 3 5stars that need it as per the poll. Ask fans for feedback etc if necessary on the changes they propose. Then put in an alternate LL cp store with those as the 3 "latest".  

As an example, I am a 3 year old account and don't have 5star ironman, either of the spidermans champed. Or Thanos lol. It might not make them money from the older playerbase who have everything champed, but the players who they keep targeting with the weekend deals (4star covers and some iso8 for ~£15) and the random LL deals might be interested in it. 

Havok, B5nner, Ironman and Captain America are some of the weakest 5stars and probably need improvements the most. 

Ideas like this are how you "balance" the game while keeping it profitable. I'm like #1 dude for supporting rebalances but just randomly slotting them in doesn't do anybody any good (look at Lockjaw), they have to be supported in game either with sales or pve/pvp features
    Rebalanced 5s should be featured alongside new ones in their release stores, could make them the essential 5* for pve release to hammer it in.
    4's could have a similar track, one of the couple non-latest essentials each month could get a rework if they're underused and could show up in release tokens with increased odds or something like that, none of this is difficult.
    It's an extreme fiction to believe that any of this is hard to do.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can see some problems, but still play regularly. I am happy with most things in the game.
    If they want to sell rebalanced 5* and actually make money doing it, they're going to have to significantly up their rebalancing game. 

Absolutely nobody is spending money for a character like post-buff Ghost Rider.