Not with a bang but with a whimper. A poll on burnout in MPQ.

Options

Comments

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am getting tired. The game has become a slog. Still playing.
    My burnout has peaks and valleys. When I get really burnt-out I typically just try to clear SCL 10 PVE and the DP last 3 nodes, keep some rewards coming in. 

There are quite a few things that I don't like about this game. The balancing is terrible and lack of any serious effort to rebalance older characters. With as much time, effort and for some money put into this game, D3 should make rebalancing older characters one of their priorities. Especially for 5*s that need rebalancing the most. It's a shame more than half the 5s are almost unplayable unless boosted. I do like the 5 boosts we get, that at least breathes life into lackluster 5s from the past. 

The above gripe is made even worse by how poorly designed lots of new 5s are, some feeling dead on arrival and literally zero excitement to spend tokens on them. No new 5 should be so utterly horrid that you don't want to cover the. They don't all have to be meta. However they should all be fun, have 3 abilities that make sense are fun to use, and have proper tuning. I'd also wish D3 took more of our concerns on new characters when we see their power set and numbers seriously. There are a lot of loyal fans on this forum who point out how far they missed the mark on a lot of 5s this year and years past. Some minor tweaks could go a long way from making said 5* trash upon release to being fun and functional and a great addition to MPQ and anyone's roster.

Classic 5s are still too hard to cover. Shards and feeders for those who have them are nice. However I feel it's time to make a classic 5 store, vault, or something additional like a 5* DP daily, weekly or whatever where players can earn covers on classic 5s. Let's face it most classic 5s are like glorified 4s, in some cases quite a few 4s might even be better. Making it easier to complete classic 5s isn't going to break anything in this game, but would make many, many players very happy.

Another issues is lack of any serious new content. It's nice we get puzzle gauntlet and some different diversions here and there. This game really needs some new content both PVE and PVP to breathe some new life into it. Almost like a expansion pack of sorts, heck I'd even consider paying for it if it had a quite a bit of new content and features. But this continuous cycle of years old events is just lame and dated. Especially with all the issues regarding the 5* tier. Once you're at what some call end game, most of the excitement comes from cool new 5* releases, which they've done a poor job with. We've gotten a few really fun 5s here and there, but too many duds. 

I think a lot of us put up with this game in spite of our gripes against it because there isn't really a great alternative to a Marvel match 3 game out there. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    D3 should make rebalancing older characters one of their priorities.

Why? How would that drive new player engagement? It would just be giving Vets extra strings to their bows whilst the vast majority would get little to no benefit whatsoever.

Classic 5s are still too hard to cover.

Exactly, so why make rebalancing them a priority? Even with a special store only the top end players can afford the luxury of pursuing classic 5*.
    Don't get me wrong - I like Rebalances as much as the next player but I think we have to be realistic in how often they will get done and who benefits from them.
  • tonypq
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

Why? How would that drive new player engagement? It would just be giving Vets extra strings to their bows whilst the vast majority would get little to no benefit whatsoever.

Exactly, so why make rebalancing them a priority? Even with a special store only the top end players can afford the luxury of pursuing classic 5*.
    Don't get me wrong - I like Rebalances as much as the next player but I think we have to be realistic in how often they will get done and who benefits from them.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion as is everyone else. I don't see how rebalancing would negatively impact new player engagement. If anything it would drive it some as they'd see the fruits of their labor aren't obsolete after a month, year, or even upon release as some of these 5s are.  Once they get to that tier of course.

I'm not sure what your definition of rebalance is, but I never meant to imply to bring every classic 5 or lousy new 5* to be tuned up to Apoc or Shang-Chi levels. Rather just enough of a rebalance to not be total garbage. That's really not much to ask for. And hardorce vets will always have extra strings in their bow. Tweaking Wasp, Banner or other bad 5s to not not be so putrid won't upset the balance of the universe for anyone. I think most of us appreciated the tweaks they made to a few of the characters in the past couple years, most recently 5 GR. Especially as many of the 5s could be very easily be made more well off simply by reducing power costs, tuning damage, health, rather reinvent the wheel for every character.

Based on your logic why make anything a priority ?

Just keep releasing 4*s until every character in Marvel is present or has at least 3 versions of themselves. While at the same time releasing a very small amount of good 5s a year, surrounded by others who are obsolete before they leave the LL store. Just keep rolling out the same events year in and out, with the few occasional additions they actually do make that don't add much of a lasting impact. That's not going to drive new or veteran player engagement.  

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can see some problems, but still play regularly. I am happy with most things in the game.
    They just ran about 12 unboosted events in a row and I saw 0 Ghost Riders.

His rebalance was nice, but utterly meaningless.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    tonypq said:
    DAZ0273 said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion as is everyone else. I don't see how rebalancing would negatively impact new player engagement. If anything it would drive it some as they'd see the fruits of their labor aren't obsolete after a month, year, or even upon release as some of these 5s are.  Once they get to that tier of course.

I'm not sure what your definition of rebalance is, but I never meant to imply to bring every classic 5 or lousy new 5* to be tuned up to Apoc or Shang-Chi levels. Rather just enough of a rebalance to not be total garbage. That's really not much to ask for. And hardorce vets will always have extra strings in their bow. Tweaking Wasp, Banner or other bad 5s to not not be so putrid won't upset the balance of the universe for anyone. I think most of us appreciated the tweaks they made to a few of the characters in the past couple years, most recently 5 GR. Especially as many of the 5s could be very easily be made more well off simply by reducing power costs, tuning damage, health, rather reinvent the wheel for every character.

Based on your logic why make anything a priority ?

Just keep releasing 4*s until every character in Marvel is present or has at least 3 versions of themselves. While at the same time releasing a very small amount of good 5s a year, surrounded by others who are obsolete before they leave the LL store. Just keep rolling out the same events year in and out, with the few occasional additions they actually do make that don't add much of a lasting impact. That's not going to drive new or veteran player engagement.  

Rebalances offer nothing to a new player who has an ever diminishing return to obtain Classics. You yourself contradict your own point by saying how hard they are to obtain but insist that somehow improving them should be top of the list. Why would D3/Demi put effort as a PRIORITY into something that most players get no benefit/incentive to chase and just benefits long term vets who have already champed the character or have hoarded CP to chase? Are those players spending any more? In most case no because they no longer need to.

Why would the Devs ever make any meaningful rebalance to a Classic character? It makes much more sense to reserve that Dev time for new releases. Our "rebalances" for classic characters are going to be mostly limited to weekly boosts outside of the odd thematic one here and there.

Here is priority for Devs

Make new 5s
    Make new 4s
    Create new bundles to sell for real cash

That is the reality of it. You don't have to like it. I don't have to like it but there is no evidence that points elsewhere.

You said that you "put up with the game" because of a lack of alternatives. If I was a Dev that is gold dust to me because it tells me that your complaints are toothless - I have you as a player regardless because you (and I) have a combination of sunk cost fallacy and come too far syndrome.

Unless you spend a few hundred dollars per month on the game, sadly our complaints are just background noise. 
  • tonypq
    Options
    They just ran about 12 unboosted events in a row and I saw 0 Ghost Riders.

His rebalance was nice, but utterly meaningless.
    Those running meta teams or going for high placement of course won't all a sudden be rolling 5 GR out. Rebalancing isn't going to turn every 5 into Apoc, Shang,, or BRB. I'll take any improvement over the current state some characters are in though. They certainly could have buffed GR a bit more though I agree. For some it's a why bother thing, for others some would like to see something done rather than nothing. I'd love to see someone like Banner who has a pretty cool concept tweaked enough that he's at least payable and enjoyable to use. In turn they of course would also be much better when their boosted turn comes around.

If they aren't going to make rebalancing a priority anytime soon, then at least up their game on designing some of these new 5s we've been getting. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I can see some problems, but still play regularly. I am happy with most things in the game.
    Also, if they rebalanced a classic character and that character became good or useful in any way, the 550 meta hoarder/optimizers would throw a tantrum about it, and we know that the devs are terrified of them.
  • tonypq
    Options
    Also, if they rebalanced a classic character and that character became good or useful in any way, the 550 meta hoarder/optimizers would throw a tantrum about it, and we know that the devs are terrified of them.
    I agree it would be silly to see Wasp suddenly rebalanced to the point whales and placement pushers would consider her for pick 2 SCL 10 PVP or tough PVE nodes. I don't think anyone in favor of rebalance is asking for that though. I've never seen a post here where anyone asked for Wasp, Banner, Starlord, or any other meh 5* to be made meta. 

Many would simply like some of the neglected or dead on arrival 5s to be bumped up to simply be more fun to use however. Some tweaks in damage, power cost, health, won't make every character suddenly meta. But it will make then more enjoyable to use across the board and when boosted. Regardless of what some of you feel on rebalance, if you're not for it cool. You don't need to get your thongs twisted because others would welcome it. If you're not for rebalance that's fine, suggest what you are in favor of. One person's opinion doesn't have to delete someone else's, this is just a discussion post after all. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I absolutely want the very worst characters to be as good as the very best characters.  The only people who don't want that are the hoarders.

That's called balance, and good games try to get to that state.  I don't care if they achieve it by making the bad characters better or the good characters worse.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I think weekly 5* boost is a pretty good way to "rebalance" older 5* temporarily. Logically, non-meta non-boosted 5* seldom get used in pvps. However, most of them are often chosen over meta 5*. Therefore, regular permanent rebalance of non-meta 5* is quite a waste of time and the ROI for the dev is pretty bad. Dr Ock, Archangel and Ghost Rider are real life examples of why rebalances are pretty much failures. However, a bi-annual rebalance to the bottom 5* is fine. Being able to sell costume along with the rebalanced 5* help to reduce the bad ROI.

Whether a character is good or bad depends on the skills of the players. If they are bad at looking for synergies and only know how to play BRB/Polaris or Okoye/iHulk, then no amount of rebalance will help them see the usefulness of non-meta character. This applies to majority of the characters and only a very small number of characters is really bad.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Well, MPQ is a good game and doesn’t maintain balance so that is just plain wrong. Maintaining a small supply of great characters means that those can be targeted by new players while not worrying too much about the good or mediocre ones. If every character is suddenly equal they will only ever all be obtained by ever increasing size of whale. Unless you were lucky enough to have started 6-7 years ago that is. Besides, Hoarding is considered an optimal strategy, not a necessarily a preference. 
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wouldn't reducing the gap between the very newest, hottest, power creepy 5's and the less meta oldies make the classic store more valuable? But then, even if it did, I have no clue if that's something that would be desirable for the devs by earning money better?
  • entrailbucket
    edited December 2021
    Options
    There's no power creep and there hasn't been for years.  Okoye, Apocalypse, Beta Ray Bill -- they're all super old and still in the top tier.  Meanwhile we have brand new characters like Ultron, Sersi and Gamora.

The boosts do help but they're not nearly enough.  Boosts of +100 levels are just about enough for Tier 2 5* to match up with unboosted Tier 1 guys, depending.  Tier 3 5* are never useful, even with +100 levels.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    tonypq said:
    Regardless of what some of you feel on rebalance, if you're not for it cool. You don't need to get your thongs twisted because others would welcome it. If you're not for rebalance that's fine, suggest what you are in favor of. One person's opinion doesn't have to delete someone else's, this is just a discussion post after all. 
    😁😁😁 😂😂😂😂😂 Most of us wear our thongs superhero style on the outside, much easier to rebalance! 😉
  • Kolence
    Options
    There's definitely power creep. 
    On 5-star side, in match damage and health. 
    On 4-star side, in powers, especially hard counter powers to some meta 4* and 5* abilities. 
    At least that's how I look at it... 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Kolence said:
    There's definitely power creep. 
    On 5-star side, in match damage and health. 
    On 4-star side, in powers, especially hard counter powers to some meta 4* and 5* abilities. 
    At least that's how I look at it... 
    Match damage and health matter, but not *that* much. 

For example, Knull has super high health and match damage, and he's still pretty bad.

If you look at the Tier 1 5*, most of them are pretty old.  If there was power creep, the top tier would be skewed toward more recent releases.
  • Kolence
    Options
    @entrailbucket

I agree, and it is skewed toward more recent releases. :) 

Part of it perhaps is the accelerated release of 5's compared to the earlier times but still. 

And it's not just match damage. The top tier pvp 5's all have powers at a level not seen in others. 

But this is all getting a bit off topic for this thread? 

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've quit before when it stopped being fun and stayed away for a long time (years not months).  Came back a year ago and am still enjoying myself.   Will quit again if it stops being fun.   
  • Davidk777
    Davidk777 Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    There are a number of problems, but I deal with them.
    Personal I would love to see more rebalance characters and I think it would be good for the game. Reason being this is a marvel game. People love the characters they grew up with, and making that character more playable will benefit the game. By spending resource and money so they can play the 1's they want and not the ones they have to. 
    For me that's Wolverine, for others it maybe Ironman. 

All in all it would make the game funner, which might make the game more money.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Davidk777 said:
    Personal I would love to see more rebalance characters and I think it would be good for the game. Reason being this is a marvel game. People love the characters they grew up with, and making that character more playable will benefit the game. By spending resource and money so they can play the 1's they want and not the ones they have to. 
    For me that's Wolverine, for others it maybe Ironman. 

All in all it would make the game funner, which might make the game more money.

My idea, and I hope they end up doing this at some point is for the following;

Do a forum poll with the 10 least used 5stars (d3 have the statistics / analytics)

Fans vote on it over a week period. They then rebalance the 3 5stars that need it as per the poll. Ask fans for feedback etc if necessary on the changes they propose. Then put in an alternate LL cp store with those as the 3 "latest".  

As an example, I am a 3 year old account and don't have 5star ironman, either of the spidermans champed. Or Thanos lol. It might not make them money from the older playerbase who have everything champed, but the players who they keep targeting with the weekend deals (4star covers and some iso8 for ~£15) and the random LL deals might be interested in it. 

Havok, B5nner, Ironman and Captain America are some of the weakest 5stars and probably need improvements the most.