Week 29 Boost list: Adam Warlock, Carnage (Prophet of Knull), Cyclops (Phoenix Five), Banner Hulk

Options
entrailbucket
entrailbucket Posts: 4,995 Chairperson of the Boards
Gonna be a lot of Carnages! 

Boosted Cyclops works well with Shang-Chi, since he'll tank red until the combo gets to a decent amount.  I don't know if the percentage on yellow changes when he's boosted though.

I don't remember using Adam Warlock boosted, but I'm sure he's been boosted before.

And also Banner (and maybe The Hulk if we're lucky).

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,198 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warlock I found unremarkable boosted, but he’ll be popular in whatever PVE runs at that time I’m sure. I’m looking forward to trying my recently champed Banner Hulk too.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember Adam Warlock and Carnage being boosted together in one of the previous boost week. Here's the previous thread, Week 13:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/85496/week-13-boost-list-adam-warlock-carnage-prophet-of-knull-havok-the-hulk-bruce-banner#latest

The only difference between week 13 and week 29 is that Havok was replaced by Cyclops.  B)

I have only Carnage champed, so I don't have many choices. Colossus, Wanda, Shang Chi are some of the choices I have.

4* boost list looks interesting:

Hawkeye (Ronin), Invisible Woman, Kraven the Hunter, Nico Minoru, Sabretooth

All of them, except for IW, helps Carnage one way or another.

• entrailbucket
    Options
    Looks like last time everyone ran Carnage/Warlock.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,439 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How many times has BannerHulk been boosted? Seems to me anecdotally he’s been the most boosted 5*
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    The first time, they boosted Banner but forgot to boost the Hulk (they often screw that up, and nobody notices because nobody uses him).

I think only one other time since then?
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hulk is boosted with Banner like last time, I mean it still isn't great but I'm running him with Shang-Chi and Cyclops in PVE for a laugh seeing as he is champed
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Carnage and adam work great as carnage can help collecting yellow and adam boosted restores a lot, plus the heavy match damage.
    However the off sesion is extended so I wonder how many pvps they will have.
    It can be played cyclops and adam with thor too, just for fun, although SC kind of has turned obsolete match damage teams.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Sighclops/Daredevil/Banner has been fun in the early stages of this defenders PVP. If you can transform into hulk and cast Sighclops’ yellow once, Hulkform tanks every color but yellow and does really solid match damage. You can then stun on green and purple for that sonar strike damage. If you’ve happened to cast hulk’s black before transforming you can flip those enemy attacks into strikes as well.
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    dianetics said:
    How many times has BannerHulk been boosted? Seems to me anecdotally he’s been the most boosted 5*
    This is the third time Banner Hulk has been boosted. Ghost Rider still remains the only 5 that has been boosted more than 3 times.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Sighclops/Daredevil/Banner has been fun in the early stages of this defenders PVP. If you can transform into hulk and cast Sighclops’ yellow once, Hulkform tanks every color but yellow and does really solid match damage. You can then stun on green and purple for that sonar strike damage. If you’ve happened to cast hulk’s black before transforming you can flip those enemy attacks into strikes as well.
    I still have never been able to get a solid answer as to why Banner is a joke character vs the many, many other similarly bad characters at the 5* tier.  He's not nearly as bad as Wasp or Kingpin, for example, characters that just don't actually *do* anything.

The most common one people give used to be that Hulk "steals your good matches," which...I mean, ok.  People also really seem to want the Hulk to generate AP, and that would make him a little better, but nowhere even close to being good.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I think he would be usable if he gathered AP; I like his design in a lot of ways but I wish his green adding to the board passive persisted into hulkform, or maybe he would be able to pick up only green AP in that form or something. But yeah I don’t find him nearly as trash tier as Wa5p and Fi5K personally. I still think it’s funny to run him with rocket and Carbage and get 3x auto turns before I do my own move…
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    It's weird though, because if you assume he's trash -- like, the worst 5* character, per his reputation, then simply having Hulk generate AP is a very small buff.  It's definitely not enough to bring him from total garbage to usable.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I’m not so sure I agree with that. I was an early Carbage apologist for exactly that reason - an extra AP gathering turn that will auto seek out a Match N that you may overlook is pretty strong. But it becomes a real liability when you have a match 5+ that it whiffs AND you lose out on all the AP from the whole cascade.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m not so sure I agree with that. I was an early Carbage apologist for exactly that reason - an extra AP gathering turn that will auto seek out a Match N that you may overlook is pretty strong. But it becomes a real liability when you have a match 5+ that it whiffs AND you lose out on all the AP from the whole cascade.
    I'm not sure how Banner works, but for Grocket (if you can find the ap) getting two matches per turn is pretty great, especially as I normally have Polaris along. I often skip Carbage, less for the fact he generates ap which helps the opponent more than I like, but because there is a degree of rng that makes the battle more unpredictable. 
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hulk really could do with AP collection on the free match but I can buy it as being the thematic Hulk is uncontrollable angle. I think the big issue for him is that he just doesn't do enough damage in Hulk form even by old 5* standards, and obviously the 'bug' of Banner being boosted and not Hulk was a problem. I really don't think he deserves quite as much stick as he gets and I happily use him now that the boost is fixed. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    That's a good point, but it's also way easier to get Carnage's extra move than it is for Banner, so generating AP on Hulk's moves is a smaller advantage for him than it is for Carnage.

I dunno, if they do ever rework him I imagine they'll just throw the whole current design out because of his reputation, and also because it'd just be really easy to overshoot on the current design.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Once Banner transforms into the Hulk, he just auto takes a turn every round, and none of that APnis gathered even if it creates a cascade. Carbage takes his auto turn if there are enough enemy specials in play, and he creates a friendly attack every time a friendly special gets matched which also adds up fast. But the game of Russian Roulette you play by then adding Don’t Push That Button into the mix of 3 AI turns that all want to match green real real bad can be pretty hair raising if Rocket is boosted.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Once Banner transforms into the Hulk, he just auto takes a turn every round, and none of that APnis gathered even if it creates a cascade. Carbage takes his auto turn if there are enough enemy specials in play, and he creates a friendly attack every time a friendly special gets matched which also adds up fast. But the game of Russian Roulette you play by then adding Don’t Push That Button into the mix of 3 AI turns that all want to match green real real bad can be pretty hair raising if Rocket is boosted.
    If Polaris isn't around, I find it more annoying when he matches his own strikes. But then my Grocket is only lvl297. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    That's a good point, but it's also way easier to get Carnage's extra move than it is for Banner, so generating AP on Hulk's moves is a smaller advantage for him than it is for Carnage.
    I don't really find it that hard - if you have his purple set to 5, you need to gather 6 green, wait for a 2-turn CD to resolve, he will take that auto turn every turn until Hulkform gets knocked out. So that's ideally 3-4 turns depending on your AP boost situation.

Carbage needs to create 4x specials, which he will do by player turn...3 now that they rolled back that buff? And he will only do it as long as that situation persists, so I think it's about the same really.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    That unfortified CD he puts out just seems to gets matched or destroyed every single time.  It feels easier for Carnage to get there because of his passive, but I guess I really haven't used him since he was changed.

I guess you could bring Goblin or Hawkeye to protect the Banner CD, but the downside of that is that you'd have to use Goblin or Hawkeye.