Who would you champ for your first 5*?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shang-Chi
    That's true. I used to be able to float at 750pts unshielded as a 4* player pretty comfortably, making my final push to 900 (at the time) simple after things had chilled out on health. Once I champed Ghost Rider, I basically had no float point; it was down in the 350s. Now that I have options, I can float back up around 600 again, but that's still a fairly long haul to 1200 depending on where we are in the event and who is worth what. But I typically only use shields to hang on to finishing points for season progression, I don't use them along the way. But I will pick up health packs if I need them. I'm not sure why spending 600 hp on health or whatever is  more palatable than spending half that on shields and waiting, but what are you going to do?

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stay in 4* MMR for tinykitty’s sake
    Oh right, health packs and shields are more important than Line, though it is easier if coordinated. My float is between 450 and 550, depending on where I am in the event. I push as high as I can, usually somewhere top-10 and lose around 200pts within 20 minutes of having stepped away. Rinse and repeat.  I usually shield at 900pts and 75 wins with 8 or 24 hours to go. I made it to 1000 pts once; there are usually boosted 5*s all over at the top of the rankings, they normally have 75 to 100k health and they can kill anyone with a unlucky cascade. But, full progression in SCL10 in both PvE and PvP has done wonders for my progress. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shang-Chi
    You're overthinking it.

I'm not sure why everyone overthinks this particular decision so much, but I think there's a lot of outdated information floating around about transitioning to 5*.

Did you have a heated internal debate about whether to champion your first 4* and move up to the 4* tier? 

This is the same thing.  It really is!
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    I would champ Kitty first because she'll be great at supporting and leveraging your four stars into five star territory. She's great for making the transition from a four star to five star game since you will be able to buff a lot of four star special tile generating characters.

Shang Chi is great, but more as a stand alone or when buffed by other five stars, so you won't be able to bolster and draw on your four star roster as you would with Kitty.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Shang-Chi
    You're overthinking it.

I'm not sure why everyone overthinks this particular decision so much, but I think there's a lot of outdated information floating around about transitioning to 5*.

Did you have a heated internal debate about whether to champion your first 4* and move up to the 4* tier? 

Once you have one, assuming you keep playing and can stay on top of SCL10, you'll have more before you know it. but single 5* MMR in pvp is going to be a real big change to your game experience.
  • Sekilicious
    edited November 2021
    You're overthinking it.

Haha, nope. Though I hope I haven't given the impression this is heated. I made this thread because was curious about where these two sit in relation to each other and how people viewed single 5* meta. I have be given a ton of good information, though I regret not adding Apocalypse and BRB to the poll.

The other part of the decision that hasn't been mentioned is that I have 54 4*s fully covered but not champed with an additional 18 above ten covers. And a 3* farm going. Not to mention my 2*s. Of course I'm over thinking it. I waver between SC, Kitty, both, and waiting but my spending habits usually make the decision for me. By the time I get close to having enough iso to champ a 5*, I normally will have spent it somewhere else. 
  • entrailbucket
    Shang-Chi
    You're overthinking it.

Haha, nope. Though I hope I haven't given the impression this is heated. I made this thread because was curious about where these two sit in relation to each other and how people viewed single 5* meta. I have be given a ton of good information, though I regret not adding Apocalypse and BRB to the poll.

The other part of the decision that hasn't been mentioned is that I have 54 4*s fully covered but not champed with an additional 18 above ten covers. And a 3* farm going. Not to mention my 2*s. Of course I'm over thinking it. I waver between SC, Kitty, both, and waiting but my spending habits usually make the decision for me. By the time I get close to having enough iso to champ a 5*, I normally will have spent it somewhere else. 
    I meant your *internal* debate, not this thread!

You'd really want to hear from someone who's done this kind of thing very recently, and hopefully with the same or a similar character, to find out exactly what it's going to be like.

But you're overthinking it.  Seriously.
  • Sekilicious
    You're overthinking it.

I meant your *internal* debate, not this thread!

You'd really want to hear from someone who's done this kind of thing very recently, and hopefully with the same or a similar character, to find out exactly what it's going to be like.

But you're overthinking it.  Seriously.
    I think that the assessment that PvP will be worse and PvE will be better is pretty accurate.  Exactly how that will play out is the new information I was looking for and it is contained in this thread. Enough people have given their impression. It won't be as bad as when Road Warrior transitioned with Ghost Rider or Dianetics with Heimdall because both SC and Kitty are meta. As for overthinking, I agree with your assessment.I also think if I was sitting on 12 million ISO (like I had when I went from 3* to 4*) instead of 160k I would have them both champed. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kitty will be trash if they run the 1v1 pvp next month(?). I can't remember the name.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Shang-Chi
    I always dreamed about having kitty. 
    And now I could have her but I don't want.
    Kitty was really popular in women pvp, but after that she is hardly seen on my MMR. 
    Shang is the opposite, on each pvp I'm seeing him more.
    And I'm using him in every pvp too.
    He is bad in defense (as everyone) but in a non lucky streak he can stomp over you, and make you wish he loses his combo.
    Shang on pve can beat all nodes that always were only possible with a stunner.
    About transitioning, my first 5* champed was kingping.
    And here I am, with 20 + 5* champed and counting.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone mentioned earlier, it depends on if you are looking to do primarily PVP, PVE or both.  If PVE, I think Kitty shines best.  I have 38 champed 5*s (all the meta) and still routinely use PolGritty in PVE because it is quick and effective.  Yes, I use others after my first four clears when I need to but I haven't found anything quicker that doesn't use healthpacks.  If PVP, then I think SC is definitely better.  Kitty scares nobody on PVP for the most part.  Perhaps a Kitty/Pol/BRB can be a skip but that's about it.  If you are looking to do both, I would wait and champ them both at the same time and go from there.  JMHO.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Shang-Chi
    My fast clear team pre-boosts was iHulk-Ghostpool-Okoye. Now I sometimes use a boosted 5 in place of Ghostpool if there is an appropriate one who does something passively. I’ve never found Kitty to be all that fast personally, but it could be a play style thing so your mileage will surely vary.
  • Sekilicious
    My experience is that the longer the battle goes the stronger Gritty gets. Unless strike tiles are matched. Generally I play BRB in place of Grocket. After a few rounds the protect tiles are good enough to prevent all match damage and Polaris has stunned someone. Kitty then boosts Strikes and Polaris’s purple and BRB’s green becomes pretty insane at the 4* level. 
  • Notwen
    Notwen Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Kitty
    Just speaking for myself as someone making a gradual transition from 4* territory into 5*. I want someone who will work well with my best 4* characters (Polaris and R&G). That's Kitty or BRB. That said, I did just blow through my horde of 130 LL tokens mainly to get Shang-Chi (I mostly got Gamora covers instead).
  • entrailbucket
    Shang-Chi
    Actually, why *don't* we get threads from people worried about championing their first 4* and ruining their game experience?
  • Sekilicious
    Actually, why *don't* we get threads from people worried about championing their first 4* and ruining their game experience?
    Polaris I think. She is insane compared to the 3* meta as she is a low health 5* you can get the same way as 4*s.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shang-Chi
    If the game ruined the game experience to someone for champing a 5* imo it won't had been running for 8 years. 
    Any issue you can experience on pvp it's a win on pve.
    Without having milestone, sharding favorite, and polaris not being created I champed kingping and I did my way.
    So  I find so funny 4* players troubles...
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shang-Chi
    Funny you mention this.  Here was the original 4* release order.

Wolverine (x-force)10/24/2013
    Invisible Woman classic12/2/2013
    Nick Fury (shield)4/23/2014
    Thor (goddess)11/26/2014
    Electra (unkillable)12/15/2014
    Star-Lord (outlaw)1/30/2015
    Professor X (charles x)3/12/2015
    Kingpin (wilson fisk)4/4/2015
    Iron Man (hulkbuster)4/29/2015
    Carnage (cletus kasady)6/4/2015
    The Thing (classic)6/25/2015
    Ant-Man (scott lang)7/10/2015
    Jean Grey (all new)7/23/2015
    Deadpool (x-force)8/10/2015
    Sam Wilson (c america)8/20/2015
    Mr. Fantastic (reed r)9/3/2015
    Iceman (all new x-men)9/17/2015
    Cyclops (classic)10/8/2015
    Red Hulk (thunderbolt r)10/15/2015
    X-23 (all new wolverine)10/29/2015
    Ghost Rider (j blaze)11/26/2015
    The Hulk (totally ave)12/3/2015
    Miles Morales (spiderm)12/17/2015
    Venom (eddie brock)12/24/2015
    Nova (sam alexander)1/28/2016
    Spider-Gwen (g stacy)2/11/2016
    Quake (daisy johnson)3/10/2016
    The Punisher (max)3/24/2016
    Howard The Duck (had)4/7/2016
    Drax (the destroyer)4/21/2016
    Winter Soldier (bbarnes)4/28/2016
    War Machine (j rhodes)5/19/2016
    Kate Bishop (hawkeye)6/2/2016
    Moon Knight (m spec)6/16/2016
    Peggy Carter (cap am)6/26/2016
    Wasp (janet van dyne)7/28/2016
    Spider-Woman (j drew)8/25/2016
    Luke Cage (power man)9/22/2016
    Gwenpool (gwen poole)10/6/2016
    Blade (modern)10/20/2016
    Venom (agent venom)11/17/2016
    Medusa (inh queen)12/1/2016

XFW was buffed into S-tier right around the start of Alliances (Nick Fury intro).  The meta back then was Sentry Bombing, but Buffed XFW pretty much ended that.  Once Thoress was released, it was pretty clear that you had to get to 4* land to have any chance at placement.  Nothing could compete against XFW and Thoress and then she got nerfed :( 

Of course, 4 months later we got Hulkbuster who pretty much ruled the roost until 5* came out.

I guess my thoughts on the goto 4* depends on when you came into the game.  If you started before Peggy Carter.  Then Hulkbuster and jailbait jean / creepy bobby where the 4* to have.  After Peggy got released,  She was pretty much the best 4* to start with.

This was all before champions existed and yes MMR was an even bigger problem back then.  I wish I remembered when they made the first MMR adjustment.  Match up issues were so rough from the start, I actually took a break from the game.  

• fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Shang-Chi
    ughhh no Colossus in the choice.
  • Sekilicious
    fiirst said:
    ughhh no Colossus in the choice.
    Exactly this. If this was a legitimate poll he would have been there with the rest of the meta. But whoever made it is a trash player so we have to put up with his tinykitty roster. SMH.