Who would you champ for your first 5*?

Options
Sekilicious
Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
Alright. So both SC and Kitty are meta and imagine you were a 4* player with both fully covered. If you had the iso, who would you champ for solo 5* MMR?

Who would you champ for your first 5*? 61 votes

Shang-Chi
39%
xKOBALTxHobbitLoreentrailbucketPhumadeJangoLorejordanixMoosePrimeKrossJackDeath666Zalastabonny79CharlieCrokerBubba3210bbiglercaptainheathfiirstThaRoadWarriorFirst311MadroxGodzillafan67 24 votes
Kitty
44%
KolencetrewiltrewilabmorazKoorogi_859AwebermanBruinsfan17Alfje17mega ghostrevskipRod5justsingmdreyer93St_BernadustallemanYepyepikulNotwenhelix72Bobdvolabenness 27 votes
Stay in 4* MMR for tinykitty’s sake
16%
AnonStreetPreacherstef_focusAres76Srheer0skittledaddyMegaBeedianeticsTimemachinegoSekilicious 10 votes

Comments

• Sekilicious
    edited November 2021
    Options
    This is purely for scientific purposes. Not because I have both covered, nope, no ma’am/sir. And yes I probably have asked the question a number of times, lol. 

For everyone who thinks that champing one 5* will ruin the variety of characters useful for PvP, once Polaris is champed she forms the basis for a very high percentage of teams. It may have been true once but isn’t at this time. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kitty. Because Kitty can handle single mmr opponents better than Shang Chi in pvps. 

Colossus: use attack tiles against him
    Polaris: free 13k and one random ap gain per destruction of repeater.
    BRB: replaces his protect tiles instead of destroying it.

PvE wise, she can gobble up those annoying attack and protect tiles quickly. Shang Chi can handle Challenge Node in pve better though.

If you can go winfinite with Shang Chi in pve, I don't think you need to champ him though. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I waited until I had 5 ready to champ with another 2 nearly there, lol! However I can understand impatience in wanting to try out champed 5*.
    Things to consider:
    1.) If you are going to lean heavily on Polaris just be aware that she can be downed very quickly by champed 5* opposition which can leave your plan in tatters if you are in hope of some Kitty boosting.
    2.) Shang Chi can tank and heal which could be the difference in winning a fight
    3.) Kitty has a lot of 4* partners though which can improve variety of teams
    4.) One star 5* champ MMR still includes boosted 5* so you may still find that any given week you are suffering against god boost opposition with none yourself
    5.) Even champed Kitty has outdated health compared to power creep new 5*
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shang-Chi
    Kitty only plays well with others , without tile spammers she’s an easy low health target . Essentially she then only has 2 powers, if you deny her red for 7-8 turns a lot of teams can KO her fast . She’s becoming less relevant every time another character is released with non- reduced damage
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kitty
    Really, I think either would be a good choice depending on what sort of play style you prefer. I also wouldn't worry about transitioning with just one champed 5*. I did and it was the best decision I've made, giving me access to SCL10.

SC may be the new hotness, but personally, I'd choose Kitty. Many of her best partners are 4s and she can really help with PVE. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shang-Chi
    Shang-Chi can win any fight in any mode by himself once you've had sufficient practice/become skilled enough.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shang-Chi
    Shang-Chi is easily the strongest play-up 5* we have seen in a LONG time. With true-heal and self-fueled winfinite possiblilty, you could not ask for a better starter 5. He plays super well with 4* Hulkbuster and a lot of other board control/color changers from all over the tier list.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,404 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would wait until you have a good pair. Not just one. 

If you can already do cl10 pve just wait for the pair.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd personally wait for Apocalypse to be your first 5*. I feel he would be the best 5* to transition with. Don't get me wrong, Shang-Chi and Kitty are both great 5s, but I'd wait for Apoc.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Don't champ one. Wait for a good duo. When I champed my first 5-star (Okoye) I had to face dual champs in PvP all the time. Felt unfair.
  • Bobdvol
    Bobdvol Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kitty
    It's Kitty..Not even close. She makes everyone else better.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shang-Chi
    Why not both?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kitty
    Shang-Chi is more fun because he's puzzly, but as a single 5* champ, you'll be trying your luck with him against Kitty Grocket and Polaris teams. I think Kitty will be more useful. I did Okoye as my first and it was huge mistake for PvP, I got eaten up by all those Kitty Grocket Polaris teams. Thankfully I had a bunch of others ready and within days added Kitty and Apoc which made life easier. But before that, I had Kitty optimally specced (5/5/3) and soft capped as my highest toon at 360, and it was an enjoyable experience.
  • Birdy
    Birdy Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Kitty
    Kitty because she's still relevant.
    Yes, Shang Chi is fun to use but there's a few more teams you can build around Kitty. Didn't do me much harm having her as my first & only 5*.
    Then get yourself into the S4 Big Room & have fun. The rewards will come rolling in.  B)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Shang-Chi
    Where do you spend your time playing mostly? PVE or PVP, or some hybrid? As a baby champ, Kitty probably won't be as good as her reputation would have you believe given her age, and you'll be burning loads of health packs keeping her alive in probably both modes. I mean, do both eventually right, but having a true-heal makes all the difference when you're a transitioner.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Sekilicious
    Pretty sure you already know my thoughts on this...
    Long Live the Meta 4s! May they forever earn me the rewards I seek.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I voted stay in 4starland xD.  

My first champ was Kitty, but back then there weren't any Ihulks, Wandas, Apocalypses, BRBs or Polarises. And SCL10 wasn't a thing.

If you do chose Shangchi, he's fun with Ironman Hulk Buster. I consider him the best 4star partner. (3 5 5 spread on imhb).
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    Where do you spend your time playing mostly? PVE or PVP, or some hybrid? As a baby champ, Kitty probably won't be as good as her reputation would have you believe given her age, and you'll be burning loads of health packs keeping her alive in probably both modes. I mean, do both eventually right, but having a true-heal makes all the difference when you're a transitioner.
    I do both. If it was just PvE I would have champed Kitty at the anniversary. I do not make it to 1200 in PvP because I do not have Line (yet, someday I expect I will be in an alliance that requires it) so have to make it to 75 wins. That is pretty easy in the Polaris meta. Part of me wonders if Shang-Chi can do the same as Polaris in PvP, push to the top, get hit hard to drop and push again. I'm not sure because he is slower than Polaris at the start though once you get going much, much more powerful. But being slow at the start means he can die before getting going. 

The other option is to wait until I have Apocalypse and/or BRB (both at 10) and maybe Sersi covered and push with Shang-Chi/Sersi and try to float with Kitty/BRB. But I would also love to reduce my clear times in SCL10 sooner rather than later to avoid burning out. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Shang-Chi
    You don't need line to get to 1200, just health packs lol. Well, you may need a good number of the boosted champs nowadays actually. But be ready, PVP is going to be new and horrible for you for awhile regardless of who you champ if you have a strong sense of your float points, climb times, etc as a 4* player
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The very first thing I noticed when I went to 5* land was that my float point got radically depleted and is still skewed from event to event and that SHIELD Sim became a labourious nightmare. In 4* land I once gave my Alliance  a tutorial on how to play PvP "live" over an event and I never got hit a single time as I took them up to 1000 points. 5* land changes all of that.