When to use CP and LL tokens

Options
Speed283
Speed283 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
I currently have 24 max champed 3* and 21 4* with 13 covers (none max champed)
 Is it too soon to start using my 6000 CP and 240 (or so) LL tokens?
 Thanks for any and all opinions!

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    First off, what do your 5* look like?

My personal take is that now is almost the perfect time to use your resources. I'm not sure how many covers you have for Kitty, Apocalypse, and Shang Chi, but based on your resources you can feasibly split your resources between Fan Favourites and Latest LTs. Those three 5* I mentioned are excellent characters and will help you greatly in moving to 5* land.

I say "almost" because, while those three 5* are excellent, you'll be missing out on Okoye, Colossus, Wanda, Beta Ray Bill. The first 3 are at or near the top of the current meta, Bill to a lesser extent, especially in PVP. Tis a shame that not even one of them is in the FF store. The "collateral damage" of the current FF is that you'll also get a number of covers for Strange, but he isn't a bad 5*. Just that the game has long passed him by.

If you do decide to go after Shang Chi (and I strongly recommend you do, but ultimately that's your decision), you can pick from three options:

Electro/Odin/Shang Chi (Electro will be replaced by Ultron on 18 Oct)
    Odin/Shang Chi/Ultron 
    Shang Chi/Ultron/[half of none] (half of none will replace Odin on 15 Nov)

Shang Chi will leave Latests on 13 Dec. So you have more flexibility there, albeit that depends on whether you want Electro and/or Odin, or wait for them to leave.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Have you rostered all the 4*? 

If not, how many more do you need to roster?

The way I interpret your 4* Progress is that you haven't champed any one of them, but you have them fully covered.

Do you play pvp a lot?

You can cover all 3 latest 5* now. However, they aren't much help in pvp and pve. You can wait for a meta duo next year, if you could.
  • Speed283
    Options
    Thank you so much for your answers!
    I have all 4* rostered except for Blob (who seems completely useless)
    The 5* I have (but have resisted to raise their levels past 255-270) are:
    Heimdall, Iron man, Hulk immortal, Cable, Daredevil, Electro, Kingpin, Cyclops, Onslaught, Apocalypse, BRB, Black Widow, Deadpool, Scarlet Witch, Wolverine and Yelena
  • Speed283
    Options
    Also, I’m afraid of raising my MMR too high!
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What is your cover spread for Apocalypse and Wanda? And as a secondary priority, what about Electro?

As for MMR, you can level your 5* to lv360, at most 375, without affecting your MMR.
  • Speed283
    Options
    Apocalypse has 1 red, Electro has 2 green and Wanda has 1 purple 
  • Speed283
    Options
    Ok thanks for the MMR answer and all answers! Love this game and want to get better!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whats your highest level 4*?
  • Speed283
    Options
    Polaris at 291
  • Speed283
    Options
    Karnak 290 and Sabre at 286

• HoundofShadow
    Options
    If you are comfortable, you can let us know your IGN and alliance name. It will be easier for everyone to see the state of your roster. 

If not, do you play pvp a lot? You can fully cover 5* without leveling them but you risk getting bad build. Do you have any particular goal in the next 6-12 months?
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Well done for hoarding 480 pulls. That's more than I have ever managed.  

The current bunch in Latest are Electro, Odin and Shang Chi.

Ultron isn't likely to be meta, but can work with Kitty and another tile creator

The FF store has Apoc and Kitty. Apoc is good and kitty works, but she's not as meta as she once was.

If you can manage, I would suggest pulling until you get either Shang Chi or Apoc covered. Then save until February. You don't have to level your 5s and the amount of covers your 5s have shouldn't affect your MMR. 
    I say get shang chi or Apoc champable (13 covers. level 255) and then save until February so you can see if there are any good 5s in latest around the time Ultron leaves. 

Once you get all the 3s and 4s championed, your clear speed of PVP and PVE should speed up and you'll be getting more cp, hp and cover rewards from champion levels. Keep it up!
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you want to pull reasonably safely in a special store life Fan Favorites you should save up to 7500 CP (300 pulls).

If you pull now in Fan Favorites, you are basically rolling the dice.  You could walk away with one or even two characters champed or you could walk away with a wonky distribution which will you leave you with none champed (assuming you only have 1 or 2 covers of each currently). 

I suppose if you bonus heroes both Apocalypse and Dark Beast who feeds Apocalypse shards, you might be able to mitigate such a turn of fate but that still is somewhat reliant on you getting a nice return of investment in the Fan Favorite store.

I personally wouldn't pull with those odds.

Which would leave you with a few options:

1. Go all in with Latest Legends: You currently have what appears to be 240 pulls in CP and 240 pulls with LTs so you should be able to champ all three characters, barring really bad RNG. 

With that said, I don't know if I would recommend the current cast of characters in Latest Legends. Shang-Chi is the shining star of the group, for sure, but oddly enough the other characters have pretty bad synergy with him.

Electro's green power Volts, Bolts & Jolts spawn red CD tiles and with Shang-Chi, you definitely want to focus on matching red.

Odin's only offensive ability is red and you are going to want to keep red for Shang-Chi. Additionally, I imagine Odin's special tile spamming skills will be a hindrance for setting up combos with Shang-Chi since he can only destroy basic and TU tiles. 

Then you have Ultron, whose only offensive ability is again red. Shang-Chi doesn't spawn any strike, attack or protect tiles so putting them together seems like a bad idea.

So in short, this is a bad group to go with if you are looking to break into the 5* tier of the game. With that said, I know there are players who don't level up their 5*s to avoid 5* MMR and if you want to go that route, that definitely opens up different possibilities but I am not familiar with 4* tier play so I don't know if this group will serve you well. 

2. Wait and build up both your CP and LTs to 300 pulls each. That way you can increase your options. At the very least, if you are going to dip your toes into higher tier play, you want a pair of characters that has some good synergy. The current Fan Favorites don't really have it and the current Latest Legends is even worse. You've built your hoard up this far, it's only a few steps more until you have better control over your MPQ destiny. 

There will be other special stores in the future. Earlier this year there was the BRB/Kitty/Strange store, and I think if my memory is correct there was an Okoye/Thor/Kitty store that was featured a year or two ago in winter. So there's no need to feel like this will be your last chance to get good characters. 

Or if you are able to stay strong and wait until the next meta arrives, you will have a sizeable hoard to cash in. 

With that said, I think most importantly you need to figure out what kind of playstyle you enjoy the most and how competitive you want to be.  I say this because a lot of the time, players will encourage you to chase the "meta" and obviously if you are looking to up your competitive game that is sound advice. But it also can lead to burn out, especially if you are not particularly fond of the type of playstyle that is dominating your specific pier group. 

So think carefully about what you enjoy most about this game and focus on that. Hope that helps!
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Speed283 said:
    Thank you so much for your answers!
    I have all 4* rostered except for Blob (who seems completely useless)
    The 5* I have (but have resisted to raise their levels past 255-270) are:
    Heimdall, Iron man, Hulk immortal, Cable, Daredevil, Electro, Kingpin, Cyclops, Onslaught, Apocalypse, BRB, Black Widow, Deadpool, Scarlet Witch, Wolverine and Yelena
    Blob is actually pretty annoying. I can see him being really popular in 4* land when paired with Polaris and Rocket because as he grabs strike tiles he's going to convert that into having an even higher match damage so he'll hit like a truck. 
  • Speed283
    Options
    Thanks to all for your help!
    Hound: My alliance is Beta Ray Bill
    and my screen name is Speed283
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Speed283 said:
    I currently have 24 max champed 3* and 21 4* with 13 covers (none max champed)
     Is it too soon to start using my 6000 CP and 240 (or so) LL tokens?
     Thanks for any and all opinions!
    How's you gold situation?  How many of the 4* do you have rostered (even if at just 1 cover).  Is your goal to just to get 3 working 5*champs?

The only thing you really lose out on is wasted 4* covers that can't be rostered.

Let me rephrase your situation to be more useful to the community.

HYPO.
    keeping all his facts the same.  but now the Fan Favorite store is Wanda, Collossus, Apoc.

Should the OP break the horde to fully cover the (God tier 5*)  but at the expense of not being able to apply 50% of his 4*?

My POV:

Expecting a player to make the traditional jump to 5* (champ all 3*, champ all 4*) is not realistic due to the sheer volume of 4*/5*.  Yes, its true an immature roster lacking all 4* will get crushed and bullied in pvp at the 700+ level.  But he should have no issues reaching 700 with 2 baby champed 5* and loaners.

Yes throwing away 50% of the 4* is a brutal starting price to pay, but you can still roster all the 4* in the game within 1-2 years of breaking into the 5* tier.  Especially if you have high level alliance support, good bChat support, and friendly uberWhales helping protect your points.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Currently, you have 16 5* rostered, and 5* Cyclops is your highest at 300. Most of your 5* are at 1 cover, with some at 2 or 3.
    I find it weird that you have Cyclops, Wanda, Electro rostered but not Colossus, Odin and Knull. 

You also have most of the meta 4* champed and some of the 4* counter meta champed as well. Blob will be a really nice addition.

If possible, leave all your 5* at 255. Those iso-8 could be used to champ 4*.

The current common teams in 5* land is 
    Colossus/Wanda
    Wanda/Apocalypse
    Wanda/Okoye
    Polaris/BRB
    Kitty/BRB

If you were to pull your tokens now in Latest and champ Electro, Odin and Ultron, only Ultron can deal with all the above. Odin might be able to jump in to provide some protection for Ultron. With this team, matches should take some time.

You might want to ask yourself, "Can these three characters that I'm going to champ deal with these common teams in 5* land?" If you hardly play pvps, then it's not important.

At the end of day, what is your goal if you were to become a 5* player? Your goal will certainly dictate the route that you take.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You have all the 4* rostered, so nothing will be going to waste from your pulls - this is a good situation to be in.

For transitioning to 5*, Kitty is still probably the best option for single 5* MMR - where you would level up only her, and use her with Grocket, plus Polaris or sometimes Juggs in pve or pick-3. But unfortunately there are multiple 4* counters to her (mainly meaning counters to the strike-attack-protect tiles that she boosts) available.  She would be great for your pve where offence is much more important, and you only rarely deal with those counter-teams. On my alternate (small) account, I am trying to champ Kitty first.

Apoc is a stand-alone powerhouse, and his yellow improves everyone else’s power damage. He’s also a solid choice for first 5* champ, but his main synergy with 4’s requires getting his yellow out to boost their powers (eg Polaris). I don’t think Apoc Polaris or Apoc Chavez are much deterrent on defence. At least with Gritty you have to use an anti-SAP team to hit them, anything can hit Apoc. Your main defence against dual-5 teams is that they won’t be able to see you until your score gets high enough.

If you are wanting 5’s that work well with 4’s, I would say this FF store is about as good as it realistically gets. But you have to take Strange as the 3rd. I pulled all my cp from it, just like I did last year for Kitty Apoc Okoye, and earlier this year for Kitty BRB Strange.

Also remember that there’s increased odds on good 4*, which I’ve appreciated in building up my own Chavez, Juggs, Karnak, Polaris, Grocket.

If you decide to hold, then your options are to wait for a different special vault (maybe a future fan favourite will have 3 useful 5’s, but this is pretty rare), or wait until there’s 2 or 3 good 5’s in latest legends, and pull then. Colossus/Wanda being the best example of how this does happen sometimes. There will regularly be posts about whether the current LL are worth pulling for

Good luck!
  • Speed283
    Options
    Hound: I started playing without really knowing what I was doing. As a result, I rostered anything I could, so I got the 5 stars you have seen. Then I learned about MMR after I was blocked from SCL level 7 and below.  I then didn’t roster ANY 5 stars. That is how I missed some. I either didn’t see Kitty and Okoye or blindly passed on them.
     My goal is/was to stop getting pushed around by other teams, so I have not been patient.
    I play every PVP; I usually place 25-50. I hit the skip button a lot!  I also play every PVE…level 3 and place in top 3. I have tried level 4 and find that I can’t place very well in that.
     Any ideas are welcome by all readers! Thanks 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shang-chi is an excellent character who can beat anything. I absolutely wouldn't miss him. SC is a character who can attempt scl10 just by himself however while he is gaining combo points he will be in front as he will tank all the colors no matter wich leveled characters you use.
    His best partner is wanda as she provides 2 essential things for him: protection and board shape.
    However one of the alternate best partners for him is odin as he can support him helping to scape a certain death.
    Odin can help for sure on pve and on pvp, I also wouldn't miss him.
    My opinion about ultron is well known and won't change.
    It's up to you if you rather prefer electro, ultron or wait for to see next 5* and miss odin(not recommended).. 
    Time is shortening for electro.