Week 18 Boosted list Captain America (First Avenger), Green Goblin, Knull, Spider-Man (Back in Black

Options
DAZ0273
DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
Ouch, Knull is going to be tough to chew through and Goblin can be very dangerous. Sadly for me these four are all 255's so I guess I will have to lean on what else I have.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm so glad that I champed Green Goblin. Green Goblin and Knull for the win.  :D
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,403 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another fun PvE week with knull melting everything.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just Knull for me this week; I’m 10 sandmans and 120 shards away from Goblin so maybe a month and some change?
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    More on topic from me. I doubt I can get anything higher than 19 wins or 400 pts. All of them are 255 and I will propably will run to tons of them with hundreds of more HP than mine besties.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I may see some Knull, I doubt I will run into any of the other characters.

Notice how nobody is complaining about boosted 5* any longer?  Players have figured out that the best 4 or 5 characters so completely outclass everyone else that they can just ignore the boosts and play like they did before using the same teams.

Read that again.  *100 levels* is insignificant when you're comparing a good character to a mediocre or bad character.

Your move, devs.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If someone thought "I will champ one LL and I will pass the 2 others because I will have other options "now the godboost seems to focus on a lot of classics and only one modern.
    I will have a tough time when it comes the ronan week because I'm passing on him.
    If the practice continues.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I used Ronan today unboosted, and he still slaps. I'm pretty happy with that champ so far.
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Goblin was my first 5* champ and my go to character for years, love that the boosts allow me to dust off and old favourite
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Knulls gonna be fun boosted.

To use of course, not so much to fight.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No one is talking about Cap and BSSM!.

When Civil War Cap was featured the 1st time he was fun to play with since Valkyrie was also boosted and Cap's strongest colour is yellow. Now he seem useless since his yellow power costs too much. 

And who needs BSSM anymore? He was the original counter to Grockitty before there was a Grockitty. But since now there are a dozen counters to Grockitty no one plays them anymore. That's why he is useless as well for me. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Knull and strike tiles or okoye / Apoc / Wanda boosts is very fun.  

Shame I don't have the other 3 fully covered and they are at 3-7ish covers each,
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Black Suit at high levels seems like he can be interesting - he stuns on 2 colors and then goes invisible, which will sometimes catch you out on that challenge node he appears on. Mine isn’t finished yet so I won’t be trying it, just seems like a character who might be fun with 100 extra levels. I really done even know what FA Cap does, he has one of those everything powers that is all flavor text and no crunch, so it’s impossible to guess without just using it.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    BSS is pretty bad, unfortunately.  His blue power is good and can hit pretty hard, especially if you double cast it.  His green is just unusable because it costs 14.  At this point in the game, a power that expensive needs to be game-ending, and it's just not.  His passive keeps him situationally usable but adds nothing offensively.

Cap has a bad reputation because he was *awful* at release, but he got a huge buff much later that nobody noticed.  His yellow power stuns, does single target and AOE damage, and creates some big protect tiles.  His red is the only power that cares about his teammates, I usually ignore it.  Blue is a relatively cheap damage power that scales up a ton based on friendly special tiles.

He works really well with Daredevil, or anyone else who can stun and/or create special tiles.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really don't even know what FA Cap does, he has one of those everything powers that is all flavor text and no crunch, so it’s impossible to guess without just using it.

From memory, he can make a bunch of protect tiles. And his other two abilities just deal damage. I remember him as having relatively high ap costs and being disapointing in general. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    His AP costs aren't insane like some of the other older characters: 10, 11, and 7.  However, damage powers that have to be cast (vs passives) are pretty close to unusable in this meta.  The powers people actually might use tend to cost 6 or less. 

Anything more than about 6 or 7 has to be self-fed or it's totally unplayable.

Some powers could potentially cost more and still have a role in the current game, but they'd need to be devastating, game-ending powers, and there's nothing like that out there now.  Like BSS green for 14 would need to be a long full-team stun + massive damage to be playable at all.
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2021
    Options
    It is the one aspect of how the 5* game has developed that still irks/puzzles me. The original 5* hit for huge damage (relative at the time) but for huge AP costs - old man logan needing a lot of black and yellow before getting going, black bolt needing 5 across the board to ramp up his green damage, and of course the ones mentioned above.

Now you look at the damage vs AP usage for the newer 5s and its huge damage vs either passive or low cost AP plus additional quirks, I appreciate the game is all about speed but it always seemed a fair pay off and made game world sense, more AP means more impressive powers. 

Could you imagine the uproar now if a character was released with black suit spidey green power? 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    What happened was Gambit and Thor, and their reluctance to just admit they screwed up with Gambit and Thor.

Gambit was a massive mistake that completely blew away the rest of the 5* tier in terms of power level.  But players hate nerfs!  They want counterplay! 

Since Gambit was so absurdly overpowered compared to everyone else, their choice was to just fix him and continue as before, or make sure that every new 5* was powerful enough to be playable in the Gambit era.  Thor had a similar effect. 

By the time they finally admitted they messed up with Gambit and fixed him, they'd created so many new problems that fixing him no longer helped.  Instead of just quickly fixing a few characters, they decided to compensate by massively raising the power level of all new characters.

It's pretty funny, there's basically a pre-Gambit game and a post-Gambit game, and it roughly coincides with how people think of "classic" and "latest" 5*. 

Like when I point out that Okoye is 3 years old, and she's actually a super old Classic 5*, it weirds everybody out, because in MPQ, "Classic" and "Latest" are just another way to say "bad" and "good," and have nothing to do with how old the character is.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The power creep it's a common reality in all gacha games. 
    A new character must seem powerful interesting and so players wanting to buy him.
    Also a new character must overcome the gap with his rivals on his tier, so his stats are boosted to the point an old character highly covered can hardly match him.
    His perks and extras must highlight him as the most effective. 
    Other games offer rebalance or upgrades to old characters and so vet players can have an easier time with the upgraded foes being added to raise a bit more the difficulty according to the better new releases.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    There are games where power creep is the business model, yes.  In those games, the old tech is excluded from the gacha pool and is never required for anything.  Once something gets power creeped you can get rid of it because something better replaces it.

That's not possible in MPQ, where their business model depends on selling us roster slots.  They can't just remove power-creeped characters from the pool because it would cost them money.  Likewise they can't stop making old characters essential.