Week 10 Boost 5* (Black Panther, Colossus, Gambit, Samurai Daken)

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's what shield sim and off season are there for: Pick 3 pvp.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    However it could be funny for a change of pace. A weekly event where the middle slot is free.
    One event like this one won't alter the game too much if it is once in a week or two, and it could open new possibilities. 
    In a pick 3, it could be showcased who is stronger, godboost or free meta. Or a mix of them. 
    It could even be titled Free Style.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Pick 3 pvp is a health pack sink - players would immediately hate it even if they think they'd like it now. Might promote more halth pack sales, but would surely promote a lot of disgruntlement. That would be my expectation at least.

I was trying out Gambit/Riri for fun, it's still pretty slow but it did work to toss Colossus out of the match for a turn or two. But I found Gambit was faster than I expected at producing his own red rather than waiting for Riri to get enough blue, so I switched to my 5/5/2 Black Bolt for a bit also. Gambolt still works pretty okay, even with an incomplete Bolt. I may try Gambit/Hawkeye too - it would be better if Hawkeye was also boosted, but the AP gain off the CDs can really move Gambit even faster. Plus it's nice having that first blue be a stun with Colossus out in front all the time.

I also ran Colossus/Killmonger, and that slaps pretty hard with the crit production. I was trying OMD with Elektr4, the premise being that you'd throw out some enemy strikes and then OMD them away into your own strikes, but it's a team that needs too much active AP gathering. OMD sapping your black away kind of undercuts some of Elektra's utility as well since it's a bit harder for her to ballet her way out of damage. I'll probably try running OMD with Carbage, see how that goes. I'm sure on AI it'll be lame since they have 100% active overlap, but offensively it could be interesting.
  • Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's a joke.
    Colossus is too  powerful. 
    I have been able to beat all the boosted teams with colossus/5witch and now colossus is boosted its too easy...
    I feel bad for Any1 that hasn't champed him. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A pick 3 event with 4 boosted 5* would be cool!

A pick 3 with no boosts (like shield sim), or the +15 level boosts (like the offseason events) would be awful.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Colossus & Gambit boosts are nice together since there isn't active power overlaps there, pair with Chavez or Black Bolt and Gambit doesn't mess with anyone's red or purple powers.  
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Bad said:
    Maybe they're trying to isolate what happens with characters like Black Panther when they're away from their common meta-buddy (thano5 in that case). Or maybe the rotation is now just randomly drawn?

Now that question is thrilling me.
    Are they doing this for to experimenting with older 5*s? They must know the player data base owning them, and players using them with godbost too. Changing partners with them should not be so relevant, in knowing more data.
    Hyphotesis 2: they already now all the data above and they are simply giving godbost to older 5*s for to players can use them. In that case each week the worst oldest 5*s will be repeating along with 2 modern 5*s, as oldest 5*s are less populated right now than moderns, we will see them a lot more.
    I guess time will tell. 
    Colossus and wanda should be the most used at least when players are high in the ranks, as colossus with daken actually don't have much sinergy and daken is slow even with a special tile partner. 
    They are *very* metrics-focused and regularly track a number of things that they use to make decisions.  We know they track a character's win/loss rate on offense and defense, as well as usage % among various tiers of players, total damage done, packs used, and time spent by character.

There's probably much more than that -- those are just the things they've cited to us in the past.  We know that they use metrics over players' subjective feedback quite frequently.
  • Bad
    Options
    There's probably much more than that -- those are just the things they've cited to us in the past.  We know that they use metrics over players' subjective feedback quite frequently.
    Cannot blame them for that. There is more objective truth in those data than a lot of players' subjective feedback.
    However they proved in many cases that they can check players feedback verifying it with the data they track.
    Still I'm not losing the bold hope that in anniversary some 5*s would meet their precious rebalance. 
    Hope is the last thing ever lost, like it's said.
  • StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thought this week would be worse. Not really too bad so far. Shame I don’t have champed Gambit to play around with though.
  • Bad
    Options
    Now earth mightiest. This group has skipped one pve and one pvp. Perhaps colossus got bad data in its tracks recorded?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think almost all newer boosted 5* skipped one pvp. Apocalypse was a "victim" of that.

I climbed my way to 1200. I see a handful of BP with Gambit. I mostly see Wanda/Colossus in pvp. Even though she's not boosted, it still took quite a while to take her down though. It shows the value of Wanda.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It’s nice we got the bone tossed of free opening hit on enemy Colossus.
    probably doesn’t mean much overall, but it feels nice when you can sneak in that match 4 against Wanda to start out.
  • Wilger
    Wilger Posts: 95 Match Maker
    edited July 2021
    Options
    It's a joke.
    Colossus is too  powerful. 
    I have been able to beat all the boosted teams with colossus/5witch and now colossus is boosted its too easy...
    I feel bad for Any1 that hasn't champed him. 
    such a player here with only one cover for him. Never boost him again. my entire placement in season is gone not even going to make 10000, probably going to drop out of top 1000 too.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used 72 health packs across that one Colossus event - I know because I was watching that Milestone Quest to get the last Medusa I needed to champ Bolt. Absolutely wild lol. I was burning them prett aggressively on purpose to hit that milestone, but still.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    That was weird.  I mainly saw Colossususses paired with SW.  I also saw a bunch of really high level Okoye/Hulk teams, which I thought was bizarre.  I saw Daken a couple times but no Gambit at all and one or two low level BPs.

I ran Colossus/Gambit the whole way.  Gambit is...not good, but he's better than the other two when paired with Colossus.  His red was pretty useful, but only to charge tiles for Colossus to match.  Purple was good damage if it ever resolved, but 3-turn unfortified CDs are really unreliable.

If you have Colossus the event should be a breeze.  Your Colossus cancels out enemy Colossi's match damage advantage, so it kind of sets the whole thing back to normal.

If you don't have Colossus, good luck.  He's one of the characters (like Killmonger and Onslaught/PX) where if he's boosted it sort of warps the entire game around him.
  • Jimsta_rooney
    Options
    Out of interest did anyone hit 1. 2 without using colossus? 
  • Bad
    Options
    Yes with wanda.
    And my colossus is not really much leveled.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He was everywhere in 4* land too in the Thanos event.
    Literally 3 in 4 teams were using him. I suspect it's because a fair number of people pulled for Switch and ended up getting a few covers for him. Even a 1/1/1 boosted to L400+ is a pain to deal with from match damage and big Black hits fairly hard.
    On the plus side, I've never been hit fewer times in any event (I used my own once I past 500 points because I had to). Him and America and boosting +1 AP was the way to go.
    KGB
  • Jimsta_rooney
    Options
    Bad said:
    Yes with wanda.
    And my colossus is not really much leveled.
    Who was your third? 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Hopefully he was using 3* Thanos as the third, otherwise he needs to be banned!

Some players with super high level Okoye got 1200 without using Colossus at all. 

I remembered why they were using her -- Okoye adds her boost to 3* Court Death, so that team is actually blazing fast, even against boosted Colossus.