Bring back Enemy of the State

Options
2»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    Enemy of the State was my first PVE after leaving the prologue. I remember it well because I'd managed to get 2-star Wolverine leveled and fully covered, jumped into Enemy of the State... and couldn't use Wolverine. Mirror matches weren't allowed back then!

This was also my first event but it isn't because of mirror matches that you can't use Wolvie - he is locked out due to the early part of the story and him being an enemy Hand agent. Once you get to day 3 or so then Wolverine becomes available again once he is freed from the Hands influence.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    MegaBee said:
    Enemy of the State was my first PVE after leaving the prologue. I remember it well because I'd managed to get 2-star Wolverine leveled and fully covered, jumped into Enemy of the State... and couldn't use Wolverine. Mirror matches weren't allowed back then!

This was also my first event but it isn't because of mirror matches that you can't use Wolvie - he is locked out due to the early part of the story and him being an enemy Hand agent. Once you get to day 3 or so then Wolverine becomes available again once he is freed from the Hands influence.
    Oh, right. I did know that. No idea why I wrote mirror matches there.
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wasn't on the forums at the time, why was mirror matching allowed for PVE? Used to make a lot more story sense when you couldn't use the same characters, did people just whine and complain about it? 
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 430 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wasn't on the forums at the time, why was mirror matching allowed for PVE? Used to make a lot more story sense when you couldn't use the same characters, did people just whine and complain about it? 
    Oh, yes.

I also remember Wolverine being one of my main characters.  Not only did I not get to use him for the first few subs, but then I also picked up a ton of Wolverine team-ups ... that I never got to use because I always had him on my team.  (I didn't know then how to delete team-ups.)

I used to like Enemy of the State best because all the wave nodes gave out event vault tokens.  They've done away with that now for wave nodes, too.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes and no.  It made events really hard.  At the time of the change, some matches were near unbeatable.  Case in point God Gambit, but even 3* hood is a monster if you can’t counter him.   

Just for historical context.  You could always mirror match in pvp.  You could not use the same chars as the AI in pve.  This only mattered in gauntlet where the Esential branches would be a hard counter to all except the 10% whales.

so it only really mattered in gauntlet and maybe simulator.  Of course they vaulted gauntlet cause it’s a lot of work to update,  and simulator is maybe 2x a year where they update the matchups
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,211 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There were a lot of complaints about certain PvEs when the "no mirror matches" rule was in effect.  The big one was Enemy of the State, because X-Force was the best character in the game (by a lot) and he was locked out for the majority of it.  Prodigal Sun caused problems for people too, because it was full of some of the better hero characters.

Mostly people just want to use the same team for every PvE fight, and if you lock certain guys out it slows them down, *especially* if they happen to be some of the best guys in the game.

I don't think it'd be an issue now because the characters people actually use don't show up as PvE opponents.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Locking mirror matches might become a problem in the simulator, though if a character has viable counters then it might encourage diversity. 
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 313 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I still have that 3 Enemy of the State tokens that were given out accidentally in a run of meet rocket and groot 
    would be nice to be able to throw those into a vault in the future 🤣