Bring back Enemy of the State

DarqFeonix
DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
Been a while since I've seen it mentioned, but is there any chance of bringing back Enemy of The State? Easily my favorite PVE event, and we haven't seen it since Sept 2019.  Coming up on TWO YEARS.

Same goes for the other two 7 Days, Prodigal Sun and Hulk... And yeah, I can't believe I want to play Hulk again.

I understand that there was concern of scl10 giving away too much 5* shards for 7day events... But I think that ship has sailed.  If that's still a concern, maybe they could be brought back with 12 hour phases?

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 7 day event sounds like a great vacation.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 433 Mover and Shaker
    None of the 7-day events have been run since CL10 started.

For reference, here are the last runs of each:

Prodigal Sun - January 2020
    Enemy of the State - September 2019
    The Hulk - March 2019
    ISO-8 Brotherhood - September 2017 (!)

I love 7-day events.

P.S. Though this is off-topic, I'd also love to see the Heroic events return, last seen March 2017.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2021
    I understand that there was a concern of scl10 giving away too much 5* shards for 7day events... But I think that ship has sailed.  

Dunno where you think that Ship has sailed to because that's still a potential concern. What I think would be a solution to that is run them on 5star release weeks. Have them give out 250 shards for the new character AND 250 shards for whatever character is required, but missing out.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    And bring back Gauntlet too. That was a proper challenge, and unlike Heroics it doesn't restrict players to a specific bunch of characters.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gauntlet would be a joke now...people are grinding lvl650 fights in PvE.  There's no way the devs can make fights that are actually difficult to win.  I think puzzle gauntlet is the replacement for it.

Heroics are also never coming back.  With so many characters in the game, they'd either have to choose a million guys for the limited roster (defeating the purpose) or completely lock out a bunch of players.

I'm pretty sure the 7 day events are gone because of constant, overwhelmingly negative feedback from the "serious" PvE players.
  • DarqFeonix
    DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Wasn't there an attempt to run a 36hr phase once or twice  (Rocket & Groot, perhaps)? If an event could have its time changed that way... 7 day event changed to a 3.5 days at 12 hours each could certainly be doable.  Or heck, try it with 8 hr phases similar to a Boss Event.  8-8-8-24-8-8-8.  Could be fun.

Just miss that event for some reason...

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think anyone would like to wake up every 8 or 12 hours to do their grinds.  :D
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Add the Civil War boss event to that list. It was last run in December 2019.
  • BlixTheFrog
    BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler

I'm pretty sure the 7 day events are gone because of constant, overwhelmingly negative feedback from the "serious" PvE players.
    I think it has more to do with the way launch events for new characters and cycling of each of them is being done now. A 7-day event would wreck the schedule, which seems now to have settled into something reliable.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Omegased said:
    I understand that there was a concern of scl10 giving away too much 5* shards for 7day events... But I think that ship has sailed.  

Dunno where you think that Ship has sailed to because that's still a potential concern. What I think would be a solution to that is run them on 5star release weeks. Have them give out 250 shards for the new character AND 250 shards for whatever character is required, but missing out.
    One just has to look at the recent free login gift of 250 Loki shards. Whenever the gift is a 3* or 4* they have no problems giving out a full cover worth of shards, but only half a cover for a 5*.

Even when they were giving bi-weekly 'stay at home gifts' the Rescue shards were only 125.

We're not seeing 7-day events anymore.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    I expect D3 sees reduced "engagement" from the playerbase as a whole when 7 day events were a thing. Mess up your clear from a day before the end and you're out of the running for top 20 etc.  

They could split each into a 4 and 3 day event. That would be the most sensible thing to do. Some of the storylines were interesting. (Hulk and Wolverine being some of my favourite characters).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think it's about giving too much shard because 3+4 days events give away a total of 500 shards anyway. If they are concerned about giving 500 shards to a single character, they can run the event when bottom tier characters are featured. I remember the main complain is about how (competitive) players can't afford to miss a day or how the (total placement) rewards are not as good.

I think the total number of Rescue Shards given totalled up to 500.  
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Omegased said:

What's the point of running a 7-day event exclusively on 5-star release? The point is that it can give 250 shards for 2 different characters, same as what would happen with 2 shorter events in a week. Just one of them wouldn't get to be featured.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gauntlet would be a joke now...people are grinding lvl650 fights in PvE.  There's no way the devs can make fights that are actually difficult to win.  I think puzzle gauntlet is the replacement for it.

Heroics are also never coming back.  With so many characters in the game, they'd either have to choose a million guys for the limited roster (defeating the purpose) or completely lock out a bunch of players.

Ban mirror matching chars in gauntlet.  That will up the spice for sure!  Even if it’s only in gauntlet.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:

Ban mirror matching chars in gauntlet.  That will up the spice for sure!  Even if it’s only in gauntlet.
    Hahahaha, every fight in the entire gauntlet is going to be Okoye/Apocalypse/Beta Bill?
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Would love to see 7 day events come back, would also like them to get rid of 4 day events that are actually only 3 days long. Never really understood why a handful of events have 2 days dedicated to one part of the event. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would also support breaking up seven day events into two parts to give the game more variety. I really miss Enemy of the State.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    Kolence said:
    What's the point of running a 7-day event exclusively on 5-star release? The point is that it can give 250 shards for 2 different characters, same as what would happen with 2 shorter events in a week. Just one of them wouldn't get to be featured.
    The point was - a few times now we've had a Classic Legend as the required character which, in any other event would mean 250 shards of a very hard to cover character. instead, we're missing those shards for the new release. 5s are only in essential (and shard earnable) rotation maybe once a YEAR now, so that's quite a kick in the stomach.

if we could have both - then it would fix that problem
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Omegased said:
    Kolence said:
    The point was - a few times now we've had a Classic Legend as the required character which, in any other event would mean 250 shards of a very hard to cover character. instead, we're missing those shards for the new release. 5s are only in essential (and shard earnable) rotation maybe once a YEAR now, so that's quite a kick in the stomach.

if we could have both - then it would fix that problem
    Ah. I look at that as more of an issue of mismatched latest-classic 5 events period and 1 5-star every 4 weeks period, which is 8 events currently, 7 if we have a boss event (as they don't give 5* shards at all).

Ideally, I think, the essential 5* for post release pve giving new character shards in progression should always be the previously released 5*, as that one already had its first shards awarded 4 weeks earlier "for free".

Currently, there are 7 pve's giving shards each season (with a boss event each season, which are great for the end of season BTW), and with a 5* staying in latest for 3 seasons (12 weeks) that's 21 events which has room for 4 repeats of the 3 latest + 2 classic rotation, but it keeps shifting the order with that one extra event, little by little. 

If 7-day events were to come back into a regular rotation, I'd look to arrange a schedule with 3 short events giving latest shards, 2 short events giving classic shards, boss event and a 7-day event giving classic and latest shards. That's again 4 opportunities for each latest to have its shards before leaving for classic pastures.

An example how it could fit:

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Enemy of the State was my first PVE after leaving the prologue. I remember it well because I'd managed to get 2-star Wolverine leveled and fully covered, jumped into Enemy of the State... and couldn't use Wolverine. Mirror matches weren't allowed back then!