How would you like to spend your Runes?

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
In another thread we have determined that many players have too many Runes — however some have conceded that Runes as rewards are necessary for players who aren’t top-tier to advance in the game —-

So here is my question, what reasonable ways could we spend our Runes in the game besides the two that already exist? 

Let’s give some well thought-out ideas and please keep this discussion healthy and centered on what’s reasonable so maybe we can bring forth some positive changes! 

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would like to see a Rune conversion, where players can convert their Runes to crystals or jewels. The conversion rate would probably astronomical with “sales” a few times a year that offer huge discounts on conversion. 
  • QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like Bken’s idea for conversion
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I like that idea too. It would also be very nice if you could purchase the additional deck slots with runes. Currently you can only use runes to level up your Planeswalker and IMO getting new slots should also be considered leveling up your Planeswalker.

Another really interesting use that I know somebody else already discussed in another thread could be reroll your daily quests with runes.

Edit: I should have been more specific. I meant to be able to unlock the second deck slot in exchange for runes. You can already unlock one with runes
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the idea of converting excess runes into mana crystals, in a similar rate of dupes to booster crafting points. It would also be nice to have a regular offer to purchase mana jewels with mana crystals. 

And if these suggestions are ideas that the devs intend to consider, I would be greatly amiss if I didn't once again ask for a filter toggle in the deck builder for standard sets only. (wink-wink).
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2021
    Options
    A conversion feature would be the best option for me and I'd Also love to see extra deck slots purchasable for runes.

Apart those 2 options, I think that runes could be used to enhance the daily quest system by :
    1) using runes instead of crystals for the quest rerolls.
    2) being able to purchase an extra quest in order to complete a journal* and/or repeat the last reward.

Runes could Also be used as a way to master cards you do not use frequently. 

* i have already seen a 10 points journal ... With only 9 quests available during the week.
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As a mid-level player (c.3 years, c.4100 cards) I'm sitting on nearly 7 million runes and would love to convert them to booster orbs. I remember as a newer player I was desperate for runes to level up PWs. New cards came thick and fast because I had so few and every booster pack earned had a high chance of a new card or two. After that I wanted more PWs so mana crystals were my target and I usually had enough runes to level them up fairly quickly. 
    Now I have plenty PWs so my target is to craft new cards in order to make the most of the PWs.
    So booster orbs (or mana jewels) for me please to get more non-dupe cards.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    redryder said:
    Here’s an idea, use runes to rent a planeswalker for a limited time. Use it as a trial to decide if it’s worth buying, or to complete event objectives. 

The only problem is, if you spend runes to rent the PW, then more runes to level said PW, you'll end up spending all your runes and have nothing to show for it... :/
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't mind being able to buy foil skins like critman said:
    Shiny foil cards!

I'd like to see players be able to spend their runes on cosmetic changes to the game... long-time players already have enough of an advantage over new players without letting them spend their hoards of runes (yes, some of us have literally millions!) accumulating more cards or more meaningful resources.

Players love pimping their decks in paper MTG with foil cards and that's something that could be brought across to MTGPQ. Pimping the 5000 existing cards *definitely* gives long-time players a lot of things to spend their runes on!

I noticed that at least one entirely cosmetic change has been made to the game in version 5.0.0... the wobbly loading circle, which I hear a lot of negative feedback about on our MTGPQ Slack server. This doesn't really add to anyone's experience of the game... why not make a cosmetic change to the game which allows players to personalise their experience?

Mind you... if the game runs slower because of foils... I wouldn't like that  ;)

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    critman said:
    Allowing us to purchase more of the free 3 card boosters with runes would be nice too.  That's another way to convert them to something else, though the cost would have to average out to be more than what you would get back in dupes.
    With the drop rates on free boosters being what they are this feels a lot like converting runes into less runes ^_^

You're not wrong, but it's also converting them to orbs.  I was just trying to be realistic with what we could actually get.  They would never let us buy normal packs with runes, but the free booster has bad enough drop rates that it could happen.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @critman @Gunmix25 - as I see it we already have foil cards. They are called “alternate art”.
    next, I assume that your idea has an assumption, like you can only “foil” a card, if you own it? if not, I’m going to foil each and every masterpiece immediately after launch. 
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'd like to see some purchasable "Favorites" on the My Profile page.
    I use these to share decks with the team and never seem to have enough.
    To add an extra favorite deck slot, I'd pony up a pile of runes.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Options
    The more I think about it the more I like the idea of getting the 3 card basic boosters for runes.
    1)  The kind of players who have billions of runes most likely already have almost every card, so they won't be breaking anything.
    2)  It'll help players who stopped playing and want to get back, since they still probably don't need a new walker but a bunch of new standard commons and uncommons help a lot with standard events
    3)  Its a bit of a trap for newer players, but if you cost it high enough (5k maybe?) they will hopefully realize that its better to use runes on their walkers for a while.
    4)  It requires minimal coding and effort from the devs, since this is a feature that once existed (albeit before even my time) and shouldn't be nearly as difficult or buggy as cosmetic changes or something
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    critman said:
    Mburn7 said:

3)  Its a bit of a trap for newer players, but if you cost it high enough (5k maybe?) they will hopefully realize that its better to use runes on their walkers for a while.
    Earlier in the thread I suggested disabling the ability to spend runes in a particular way for Bronze or even Silver Tier players to stop them falling into a trap like this before they have a decent grasp of the game's systems.

That's a great idea, if its possible.  Unfortunately I don't exactly trust the devs to code anything complicated.
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    critman said:
    Mburn7 said:

Earlier in the thread I suggested disabling the ability to spend runes in a particular way for Bronze or even Silver Tier players to stop them falling into a trap like this before they have a decent grasp of the game's systems.

That's a great idea, if its possible.  Unfortunately I don't exactly trust the devs to code anything complicated.

There is already a similar mechanism in place.  You cant play events until you complete a certain portion of story mode.