Anyone not opening hoard on the LL 5 trio ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
As we all know over the last year there have been lots of 5s many of us aren't thrilled with and has resulted in us hoarding. I was curious from anyone who's built a large hoard up if you plan to bust it open with the current LL trio of 5s, or for what reason you may continue hoarding. 

Anyone with a hoard passing on the current LL trio or next to follow ?

Like many I got excited to see 5Scarlet Witch, to finally get a 5 that was interesting as well as having a decent purpose and role to fill. Obviously many want her to help battle against Okoye and Ihulk teams which is understandable. Myself personally I don't have many issues with that combo and have considered how much I really need SW. To blow open a hoard just to obtain her and other 5s I'm not crazy about or keep hoarding for something better down the road. I have all the other meta 5s btw.

When it comes to new 5*s for me, what their abilities bring to the table is a major factor certainly, but I also like to a lesser degree chase characters I'm a fan of also. I'm not sure SW for my needs in this game is absolutely essential enough to open my hoard. Aside from SW I like Colossus but don't feel he's a must have. Knull only seems good if you need a high health pool scarecrow for PVP or character to help mop up a few PVE clears in SCL 10 and preserve the health on better 5s. Ronin is somewhat interesting but also not a 5 I'd feel bad passing on. 

You'd have to imagine at some point another 5 comes along that plays fast and helps speed up clears, or another 5 who's as well put together as an Apoc, BRB, Prof. I debated to keep building my hoard even further until a 5 of this type comes along again. By time one does some of us would likely have enough pulls by then to rack up a ton of champ levels. 

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    I'm not hoarding, just saving up for 5Witch to leave since I have her champed already and Colossus is just one final PVE feature away from done. Once everybody I have champed rotates out, I'll be pulling again. It's not a comment on the quality of the group, just that I pull as I go to baby champ-em-all.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're talking about a hoard large enough to 550 3 characters, I think the boosted 5* thing calls into question whether that's the best thing to do anymore.  It seems like they're really trying to create incentives to go wide rather than narrow, and people who have a wider roster seem to be having a better time.

Nobody's ever going to pull classics for whatever reason, but it may be optimal now to champion each new character so you have them for their boost week, rather than skipping mediocre guys and going all in on great ones.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pulled my hoard for Switch and Colossus and am glad I did as they're a really solid defensive team. Not a big fan of Knull but I use him with Thanos to clear seed teams in pvp so he has a use there. I'll hoard again once Colossus leaves for the three after Switch.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    If you're talking about a hoard large enough to 550 3 characters, I think the boosted 5* thing calls into question whether that's the best thing to do anymore.  It seems like they're really trying to create incentives to go wide rather than narrow, and people who have a wider roster seem to be having a better time.

Nobody's ever going to pull classics for whatever reason, but it may be optimal now to champion each new character so you have them for their boost week, rather than skipping mediocre guys and going all in on great ones.

I'd still rather have lvl 672 boosted meta for a week (I personally have nothing near 550) than a wide range of mediocre 5s boosted to say 580 (edit or 590 or 600) each week.

The first week of boosted oml, phx & this week with boosted thanos, panther, Hawkeye prove boosted mediocre 5s are still mediocre.
  • entrailbucket

I'd still rather have lvl 672 boosted meta for a week (I personally have nothing near 550) than a wide range of mediocre 5s boosted to say 580 (edit or 590 or 600) each week.

The first week of boosted oml, phx & this week with boosted thanos, panther, Hawkeye prove boosted mediocre 5s are still mediocre.
    All those guys are way worse than anything they've released recently though.  Recent mediocre 5* are, like, Deadpool, Killmonger, Ronan, etc.  We have no idea what those guys are going to play like when they're boosted.

I don't know what the best thing to do is (and if I did, I'd purposely do the opposite of it anyway) but I think it's at least in question now.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    That's true, iceman & bolt were very good boosted. Many of the 5s coming up will be much better boosted too. Though 550 meta do just fine against them.

Seems strategy of champ em all or hoarding for meta characters are both viable. So a push? lol.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only mini-hoard.  I like covering everyone, which as it turns out with the new development of weekly boosted 5*s is probably a good strategy.  Basically, I make a decision on how much I want a particular 5* to be higher level than others, and lean into their turn that much.  I had not gone down to zero hoard since late last year, but I did get down to 1-2K CP (which sounds like a lot but is only 40-80 pulls, so not that big of a hoard.)
    Colossus/Witch/Knull was good enough for me to go to 0, I decided, and I did.  I even kept spending pretty much all last week, I didn't spend over the weekend and I think I'll hoard until Colossus is out - I have him at 455.  I wanted him higher, but luck didn't cooperate, and chances are good I'll only get a handful more levels for him, so the big question is how satisfied I am with my 462 Witch, bearing in mind I'll probably get 3-5 more levels for her when putting my start on Ronan (and shards from PVE.)
    I'll figure the latter out over the next two weeks - that's not a decision I need to make now.  I'll tell you one thing -- I'll stop pulling on Ronan as soon as I fully cover him, just as I did with a lot of the previous 5*s.
  • entrailbucket
    Yeah, I think it's down to your preference, which is nice because it definitely wasn't before this.

Also if you're gonna go all in, you better make absolutely sure those guys are both great and relatively future-proof...if you go narrow and miss now you're screwed for a long time.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    There're two meta releases a year, based on past 3 years of release data. Wanda is our first. I'm expecting another one.

The current set is a good defensive team, even for scl 10. I can't say much for Knull now because he doesn't really have a great partner.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    In 3 and a bit years of playing, i've only ever managed to hoard a decent amount of pulls once.  

Now I am pulling when I need the new 5 in pve, or when some good ones are in LL for me to roster enough to champ them.  

Wanda and colossus are champed, Knull is 1 3 3  (I can see him getting a terrible spread) and Ronan has a single cover from his special CP store.  

So when the next 5 enters LL after Ronan, I am pulling until I get them and seeing if I can champ Knull. Through testing, I found out knulls permanent health damage power is affected by strike tiles. So this could be incredibly annoying as a defence team potentially.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I only started hoarding last year and broke it for Wanda/Colossus/Knull. This is the best trio I've seen in LL in a long time so I went for it. I got **** a little on the two I wanted most, SW and Colossus, but it was worth it. I will go back to hoarding after this. I usually only spend to get a single cover of the new 5* for required nodes.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I Opened for this Trio and this is my take on boarding going forward.  It isn’t worth holding to try and get level 500+ 5* with 5* boosted characters.  You are now best off baby champing 5* to at least 450 then pulling for a character you find interesting.

I will also add having Colossus at 480 and Wanda at 486 I can take out 550 Okoye teams with an IHulk.  I was not able to do that before.  This makes Colossus and Wanda worth it to me.  Colossus can really help against 5* boosted characters reducing the match damage as well.

i also will use Knull early in PVP against some of the boosted 5* I am seeing because al level 484 he has 134k health and can whittle down characters fairly well.  

I will probably pull when Ronan hits packs to improve Wanda and give her more health.  I don’t know if I will look to get Ronan as a high level, but my game plan going forward is to get each 5* to 450 to enjoy the weekly boosted 5*
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    Which one is better, Daredevil or Knull? I'm not hoarding anything yet heh
  • entrailbucket
    Which one is better, Daredevil or Knull? I'm not hoarding anything yet heh
    That is a very specific, very odd question but I'm going to go Daredevil.  Daredevil is a lot better than most of the other 5* from his time period and Knull is a lot worse, so it sort of evens out. 

Also: this is a weird new way of thinking about things, but you're going to see a ton of Daredevil during his boost week, while Knull's boost week is going to be mostly Scarlet Witch and Colossus.
  • Daniel2121
    edited June 2021
    Wasn't Daredevil boosted already some time ago though? Or I'm misremembering things? Lol. I think I saw a lot of Murdock some months ago. Could it be that he's really that good though? I got a cover of his green skill which seems annoying enough.
  • entrailbucket
    Do we need to start ranking 5* by where they fit in their set of 4 boosted characters?  In 4* land, is it permanently the same set of boosted guys together or do they change it up?
  • entrailbucket
    He'll be boosted next week.  He's probably right on the edge of being usable normally, but he'll be very good with the boost.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    You’ll see a TON of DD/Polaris I bet. 50% DD to kickstart the train, stun on 2 colors and damage boost against stunned. My DD isn’t there yet at 6/2/3 (saved covers were implemented exactly when my 4* kingpin kicked out my first 6th cover for a 5 way back when, still haven’t champed him), but I do have him leveled to 405.
  • Daniel2121
    He'll be boosted next week.  He's probably right on the edge of being usable normally, but he'll be very good with the boost.
    Wait, how do you know he'll get boosted next week? Where do they announce these things?