entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait till you see 650!

It's the revenge of the classic 5s!
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    5 stars have been added to the weekly boost list.  Check the rules page of the event to see who is boosted. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've got the vast majority of older 5s unchamped. Only going to be fun for me when they get around to Hela and onwards
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish we knew whether this was just an experiment or an intended fixture moving forward. Some of my 5's are dead on arrival but I might have some with enough covers that with some investment in iso could make playable during a boosted week. Not investing though if this isn't going somewhere.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I was running OML/Polaris to climb up past 500 when it opened, but even with a boosted OML i fell back to a float point down in the 300s. Most of my retals were the usual suspects, Hulkoye etc. but I did see one that was Chavez/Phoenix which was entertaining. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    By the fact only silver surfer is dangerous imo. I already fought all 3. Match damage is a bit dangerous but OML and Phoenix still have high cost powers.
    However OML usually has 110k health, a good meatshield.
    Still this will be a though one for blinded Ihulk users as there it is quake lol.
    But there are apocalypse shards waiting. If not, I think few people would play. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I'm looking forward to Carbage getting boosted.   :D The carnage inflicted could be interesting.

I hope they can do one full run and then use these data to determine if it's worth the time to boost old 5* match damage and healthpoint. Also, they need to take into account play experiences of those 2*, 3* and maybe 4* players. I imagine that facing a level 400 boosted 5* as a 2* and 3* players can be really frustrating and it might cause PvPs to be more unpopular. Also, don't bother boosting meta 5* characters because they will be used regardless of whether they are boosted or not.

• entrailbucket
    Options
    I do think this is bad for some people, but it also actually shakes up the meta for once, finally.

For, well, ever, people have been telling other players not to bother collecting the bad characters, and to focus resources on the good ones.  If this is a permanent thing I'm not sure that's the best strategy anymore.  If you have some actual depth to your 5* roster you're likely to have a very very high level character every week.

For newer players, if you happen to pull one cover of one of the boosted guys it completely changes your experience that week.  Would it still be better for them to hoard or try to get a broad base of characters?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

For newer players, if you happen to pull one cover of one of the boosted guys it completely changes your experience that week.  Would it still be better for them to hoard or try to get a broad base of characters?
    Depends on if their experience changes for better or worse. If they can use that boosted 5* (for example) to kill unboosted single covered 5*s it’s awesome. 

If that single cover matches them up against tougher opponents than normal, keep hoarding!
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    So far the lower-roster folks here are indicating that the boosts don't affect matchmaking at all.

If this continues I think it's time to reevaluate the  roster-building conventional wisdom, for everyone.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    It will probably turn into a match damage fest for those 2* or 3* players with only 1 or 2 cover 5*. Think of 5* PvP. 

Alternatively, they can hide their 2* or 3* behind this 5*. However, players who follow conventional wisdoms such as don't open LTs or use CP until they have reached a certain stage will be disadvantaged because they can't hide their 2* or 3*.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm looking forward to Carbage getting boosted.   :D The carnage inflicted could be interesting.

I hope they can do one full run and then use these data to determine if it's worth the time to boost old 5* match damage and healthpoint. Also, they need to take into account play experiences of those 2*, 3* and maybe 4* players. I imagine that facing a level 400 boosted 5* as a 2* and 3* players can be really frustrating and it might cause PvPs to be more unpopular. Also, don't bother boosting meta 5* characters because they will be used regardless of whether they are boosted or not.

Yeah as a 4* player I'm not in love with it although I'm not running out and getting pitchforks or anything.  Matches are much more varied but a lot more skips happening since the length of time of matching away a 50k OML is much more punishing when climbing.  Still if it makes for more variety at the top tier I guess it's a net positive.  
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's an interesting start to the experiment (if that's what we have, communication would be lovely right?) - because this set of 5*'s have been so outclassed over time.

I hit plenty of around 600's with the newer/better 550's and never was hit back successfully.

It will be a different matter once the better ones start to roll in. Panthos might not do much, Thor/DD will be interesting because enough players have those at a high enough level. Retirements of the old-school folks make us not see many of these either.

When it rolls around to PX/BRB/Carnage, look out. Okoye week should be interesting.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can’t wait okie pvp event to roll around!
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    Okoye boost week will just look the same as we already see. If everybody’s 500+ Okoye is boosted then is anyone’s really? 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Okoye boost week will just look the same as we already see. If everybody’s 500+ Okoye is boosted then is anyone’s really? 
    Extra free slot to try out different thirds
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Agreed. When everyone has 550 Okoye, no-one does. Here was the T20 of my most recent PVE sub:

550 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    548 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    550 Apoc
    550 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    545 Okoye
    507 Okoye
    545 Okoye
    545 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    547 Okoye
    505 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    550 Okoye
    521 Okoye
    528 Okoye

Enjoy 663 Okoye week everyone! Hard to stop her from healing at that level.

#TotallyNotProblem
    #NoFixNeeded
    #BortWasRight

• DAZ0273
    Options
    Maybe they should ban use +1 boosts on Okoye's week. It wont stop her but she might be mildly annoyed.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    How long did it take the dev to scrap "more 4* PvPs" due to newer players' complains?  Let's use that as a guide to see if 5* boost can survive that period. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I thought more 4* PvP was a tradeoff for something? I can't remember what it is we lost out on but more 4* PvP was the "prize" to make up for whatever was taken away/reduced/sold off on Ebay as there would be more stores to get the 4's. At first there were a few more 4* PvP but then it basically petered out to the odd one here and there around certain "events" and obviously for new releases. That seemed to be the case up until recently. Was there a big backlash? I don't remember that but I guess it might be possible.
    A boosted unchamped 5* is going to open up things a lot more than an unchamped boosted 4*. With just one cover you are hitting lvl 355! If you are in 3* MMR that is some tasty match damage!