How much of a must if 5Thor ?

Options
tonypq
tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
Do you all think having a 5Thor is still a must?

My current champed 5s are Kitty, Okoye, Apoc, Prof, Doom, Ihulk, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, BRB, Thanos, OML, and Hela. My 5Thor is at 3/1/1 and I set him as my shard target currently. 

I was debating how much I actually need him or how often I'd use him. To cover him will take a lot of resources, CPs, buying shards, milestone rewards. I was wondering if he's still worth for me to spend all those resources to finish him. Or if I'd be better instead trying to make a 5 I already have like Apoc, BRB, Okoye,  stronger by putting those resources towards one of them for champ  levels. 

Comments

• axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You probably don't need to champ him since you have iHulk. But one of the milestones is to champ 5 stars. Plus 5thor is the longest since his last 5e store.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thor is important to me for pve. Thor + apocalypse is my fastest team in SCL10. So I would say better to get him covered! 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You don't need him champed, just 5/x/x build. I ran him at 5/0/2 as a battery for the longest time, and would have left him that way had all those milestone shards not created a sudden windfall of covers. Now that I do have him champed, I'd say that the base damage on his powers and his 50% health being boosted 4* level rather than 3* level is a huge improvement, though he does tank red over Okoye now. But he doesn't tank red over Apocalypse, who is who I primarily run him with on Pick 2 nodes.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,343 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    atomzed said:
    Thor is important to me for pve. Thor + apocalypse is my fastest team in SCL10. So I would say better to get him covered! 
    This.  If you are playing in PVE SCL10 against all tile moves (where Kitty), Thorpacalypse is such a great option in the pick 2 nodes and even in the pick 3 nodes with someone like BRB or 5PX.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You guys convinced me thanks heh. I just used a milestone reward for 5Thor and will soon have 4 in green, then shouldn't take me much longer to get the 5th cover. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Best boardshake in5* land.  Still useful for that fact alone 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A champed Thor is more useful than levels on the defensive characters.

I think he’s the most important character on my PVE roster. He’s the engine. For boosting, I can swap in Okoye or Apoc, or Kitty (if I’m looking to boost tiles instead of powers), but for gathering AP fast, there is only one Thor (until I finish my dupe lol). 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,659 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As soon as I got 5Thor, I never looked back: the only time I'm not using him in PVE is when he's locked out.
    Combined with Okoye and/or Apocalypse it halved the time needed for my initial clears and I'm pretty sure I would have given up on this game if I hadn't gotten him (good friend of mine gave up as the grind just took too long).
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    how do you get your thor under 50%?

are you retreating in prolog? play him in pick2/pick3 and let him tank?
    throw him in there with sabretooth and Polaris and hope for the best? 

i personally retreat in prolog because it's the most reliable
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell said:

Same here. I usually keep a DDQ node open and retreat a bunch beforehand to get him under. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/x/x is all your need in pve.  Valkyrie feeds 5* Thor too. So, she could help you speed up, depending on her levels.

As for 50%, I bring Thor along into shield sim and let him eat one or two green door and then retreat. That's the fastest I can achieve besides Court Deathing him away.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I run Thano5/iHulk/Gladiathor on the easy nodes, trying to get Hulk to make his matches to death. Usually after a node or three Thor is ready to rock, which aligns nicely with landing in the harder nodes in PVE. There is much less danger of catching a deadly cascade on those easy nodes, so you can more comfortably predict when he'll get down to the number you want.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 727 Critical Contributor
    Options
    atomzed said:
    This.  If you are playing in PVE SCL10 against all tile moves (where Kitty), Thorpacalypse is such a great option in the pick 2 nodes and even in the pick 3 nodes with someone like BRB or 5PX.
    I've only just champed Apoc.  Been running Thorkoye in S10 with S2099 as a 3rd.  Is Apoc quicker than Okoye?  Running 3/5/5?  Use Yellow, then Red for cheap lots of damage?  Might have to try.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,343 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punter1 said:
    atomzed said:
    I've only just champed Apoc.  Been running Thorkoye in S10 with S2099 as a 3rd.  Is Apoc quicker than Okoye?  Running 3/5/5?  Use Yellow, then Red for cheap lots of damage?  Might have to try.
    I definitely find Apoc quicker than Okoye.  Could be my imagination, but he definitely seems to make matches quicker.  I run him either at 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 depending on opponents but normally at 3/5/5.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,174 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Punter1 said:
    atomzed said:
    I definitely find Apoc quicker than Okoye.  Could be my imagination, but he definitely seems to make matches quicker.  I run him either at 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 depending on opponents but normally at 3/5/5.
    Always run Poccy at 3/5/5. That gives you the best ROI. Especially with Thor generating Red AP, which can't be said for Black AP.

3/5/5

⚫️ (9522 + 8784) x 4 = 73,224

🔴 (4102 + 8784) x 4 = 51,544

124,768 Total

5/3/5

⚫️ (11572 + 8784) x 4 = 81,424

🔴 (3956 + 8784) x 3 = 38,220

119,644 Total

5/5/3

⚫️ (11572 + 5856) x 4 = 69,712

🔴 (4102 + 5856) x 4 = 39,832

109,544 total

4/4/5

⚫️ (10254 + 8784) x 4 = 76,152

🔴 (4102 + 8784) x 3 = 30,454

106,606 total

• abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Apoc Thor feel reliable to me, especially when working through big health pools in 3e/4e/5e nodes. Gathering yellow is semi-automated from Thor, and you have 3 colour outlets for big damage (green, red, black), which I think is better than Thorkoye.

But Thorkoye will ramp up to higher damage overall, and Okoye can tank and heal.  So it's often a balance between how well I think I can work (with the 5e in particular).  
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    One of the big pluses with Thor Apocalypse is you can use supports to generate yellow.
    I run Thor/Apoc/iceman a lot.  Thor has 3* Korg for a chance of 3 yellows
    and then a 3* Peni on Iceman for chance of 5 yellow.

so those help a lot in PVE
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ammenell said:

I'm in insurance, so I like insurance. I have a Thor reduction team as a saved team. It consists of Thor, Negasonic, and Jim Hammond. Thor tanks every color. I usually go into the Challenge Node 5-10 min before playing and let Thor get whacked around a few times then retreat. Occasionally this backfires and Thor gets downed by a bad cascade, but I just feed him a healhpack and do it again until I retreat leaving him with a little less than 1/2 health.

If Thor gets downed when it counts, I have my saved team ready to get him back in action quick.

The problem with the other approach mentioned is if something goes terribly wrong and you lose your Thor when it matters, I find retreating 6 times (each retreat eats 10% of max health) is too slow. However, when I'm waiting for a new event to start, this then becomes the best way (via DDQ).
  • helix72
    Options
    Always run Poccy at 3/5/5. That gives you the best ROI. Especially with Thor generating Red AP, which can't be said for Black AP.
    I agree and will add: Black is also limited in that you only get the full damage if you have 4 protects on the board when you fire it, and I have had several times where I didn't have enough and then either didn't get the full damage or had to wait a few turns for my repeater(s) to put more out and hope they didn't get matched away in the meantime.
  • helix72
    Options
    Punter1 said:

Personally I find Polaris a faster 3rd wheel than Spidey99:

She does passive damage (boosted by Okoye) at the start of the turn if there are any specials on the board, which there will be every turn after turn 1.
    She does passive damage (also boosted by Okoye) whenever you match or destroy a special tile. Once the board starts getting filled up, it gets super easy (thanks to Thor's board shake) to get special tile matches when the turn starts. And if you can get a cascade, each additional "match" in the cascade triggers the passive again. If you destroy any with Okoye's red, also triggers the passive. My favorite is to use Okoye's Red on a row with specials that triggers a cascade with specials.

Plus you still have a 4-turn stun at your disposal, much like w Spidey99. What's not to love? Sure, sure, Spidey's got a Black outlet and he gives the targeted damage boost along with the stun, but I generally want to damage the guys that aren't stunned, not the ones who are. They can wait 4 turns.