How Often Should We Shake the 5* Meta?

Options
2»

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Power creep almost has to be a thing - if you don't allow the 'best' to keep entering in, how can new players ever catch up (and more importantly as a business: why would they ever buy the 'new' if the 'old' will keep beating them?). So that's my answer: your top choice, and probably every 12-18 months.

Some thoughts on your 2nd choice:

Rotating buffs would be good but I've been asking multiple playgroups: how good is 'good enough'? I was bringing up the last sub of Lost in Time (Balancing Act) where everything gets a flat +110 boost. (Maxed 4*'s went to 475..but they're already 479, and I don't see people use them much anymore.)

I screenshotted my roster of champed 5*'s that I never BH'd/Hoarded for so they aren't the top ones.

588 OML
    587 Bolt
    584 Phx
    581 Beardocap
    579 Strange
    578 Daredevil
    578 Surfer
    575 Wasp
    573 Kitty
    5712 Hwekeye
    572 KP
    571 AA
    571 Loki
    570 BW
    570 Cap
    569 Cable
    569 Starlord
    566 Goblin
    566 IM
    565 Ock

....would you use any of those over say 505 Okoye? Kitty maybe, or DD? Strange maybe in PVE?

I've thought about rotating boosts and even with god-boosts: it's really only going to benefit either huge whales (all the 550's) or, more likely, really benefit the few 'great' characters that already see play, they'll be even bigger when their rotation turn comes across. hulk/okoye/apoc/PX/JJ/BRB/Kitty/Carnage/Onslaught: that's about it for PVP, right?

The way to get people to 'use' everything, outside of buffing a bunch (like 80%+ of any tier) is to do something like heroics or more essentials.

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tonypq said:
    At this point I say just make every darn new release meta and earth shattering. Throw caution out the window and just let every character be nuts over the top lol. If you missed Okoye/Thort/Kitty/Apoc/BRB/Ihulk and whoever else then that's fine. Just over tune all future releases then those with current metas can keep using them and those new to 5 land can hop in whenever and get a trio of 5s on roids. Or those who are sick of using the current metas can liven up their roster with any of these new juiced 5s. 
    Two words: Power. Creep. 

Power creep may not mean much for you, but for anyone who ever played a game called Rage of Bahamut, they know that once power creep gets out of hand, the game is dead. Here is an oversimplified (and exaggerated) example:
    1. Generation A characters do X damage for 8 AP
    2. To make Gen-B playable compared to Gen-A, they do X2 damage for 8AP
    3. To make Gen-C playable compared to A & B, they do X3 damage for 8AP
    4. To make Gen-L playable compared to A through K, they do X11 damage for 8AP
    5. To make Gen-Z playable compared to A through Y, they do X26 damage for 8AP
    If X=4000 damage, then generation Z characters are now dealing 104,000 damage for 8AP. The that kind of inflation will destroy the game. The good news is that there is enough complexity and potential in the game's code-ability that we don't have to worry about it for a quite some time as long as devs employ enough creativity.

More good news. I posted a suggestion that could minimize power creep at 5* tier here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/83124/6-star-cosmic#latest
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    @Michael1957 Are you champing each new release JUST with CP or are you using LT's + CP? My point is that it's impossible with just CP.
    KGB
    Personally I just use LT for latest and cp for fan favorite type stores.  I can cover them before they leave latest.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Actually another good ides came in some of these replies: do we just need more of a boost? What if the essential 3* became a 650?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:

5712 Hwekeye

id like to see the numbers for his match dmg.

but I like the rotating boosts. 
    i wouldn't see a problem with a secondary pvp, running parallel to existing pvp events, with their own boost list and some restriction on 5*s, like just single 5* teams or no 5*s at all
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Would it help to boost the score when using a character?  Instead of buffing the character itself, give an extra 25 points for winning when using the character.  Maybe even lower the points lost when using the character.  

Have one or two characters "score boosted" for each event.