Mags/AW/YJ/Cyc: June 2021 is only four months away

Options
LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,343 Chairperson of the Boards
With the "meh" reaction to Cyc, I realize that if I continue my current hoarding of CP/Tokens, that the next time I will probably pull is the middle of June.  That's how long it will take to get rid of the current 5*.  Four long months of playing but not doing much more than hoarding the good tokens.

I imagine I will drunkenly open something at some point, but overall this is a bit depressing and really wish the current four had even one that I wanted to champ.

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe there will be a fan favorite store you can pull from (he said, secretly hoping for himself).
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    BRB is in Cyke's release store...  

Sorry.  Wish I had better news.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,040 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Meh. Sucks to be you I guess. 
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    Options
    What's stopping you from pulling? They don't work good enough with Okoye?
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ursopro said:
    Nerf Apocalypse.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ursopro said:
    Nerf Apocalypse.

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ursopro said:
    This is a classic post !
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I feel your aggravation. The last slew of 5s does nothing for me either. Like you I'll be waiting who knows how long for these to leave LLs. Unless one of the next two 5s is incredible I'll also be hoarding for a long time. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am going to have to eat Cyclops because I want AW as I am a big fan (and I guess YJ is decent), but I am afraid the next 5 will be good and I will not be able to get him. That would pissed me A LOT.

I dont know what Devs are doing. All chars since Apoc have been decent at best, but they have not affected the meta at all in neither PvP or PvE. Sometimes I think they are just tired of this game and they want it to die...
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was disappointed by Cyclops too, but I want to cover Adam.  I pulled until Magneto is done, and will wait until he leaves, then pull more to hopefully finish Adam.  With Cyclops being seemingly underwhelming, splitting the levels between him and Mags doesn't seem like a big loss.  Of course I ended up with more Magneto covers (5/4/3 with a saved cover) than Adam (3/2/1) or Yellowjacket (4/3/1), and more Yellowjacket than Adam, but isn't that the way.  I do still have 80 LTs to pull after Magneto leaves, and hopefully I can pick up another Adam cover from shards in the process.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With the "meh" reaction to Cyc, I realize that if I continue my current hoarding of CP/Tokens, that the next time I will probably pull is the middle of June.  That's how long it will take to get rid of the current 5*.  Four long months of playing but not doing much more than hoarding the good tokens.

I imagine I will drunkenly open something at some point, but overall this is a bit depressing and really wish the current four had even one that I wanted to champ.

Well, look at the plus side. You'll have a bigger hoard to break for bigger characters (that's the situation I'm in, probably not enough to break for Adam and pointless to break for the other current ones).

Or, possibly they'll introduce new game-play styles in the meantime, where it matters that you have every character covered and hoarding isn't the only path to progression.

HAH! I made a funny.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Waiting on fan fav vault now. Also in the same boat where I’m not pulling for these trash 5*s. They should give up on the four stars now and just release 5*. They keep using all the great mechanics on 4*. There’s so much trash in the 5* tier even if they changed to two per month it wouldn’t create pressure unless you just have to have them all.

Right now I’d take lazy remakes of 4* mechanics put into a 5*. 
    I’m starting to consider taking a month or so off as I don’t have any pressure on CP or LTs.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I pull as I go to try champing everyone, but I’m also pretty underwhelmed by this crop of latest. It happens sometimes.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is what happens when players' criteria revolves around Okoye/Thor/Apocalypse.

Can the new 5*:
    1) replace them?
    2) replace my current character who is *working well with them?
    3) deal passive damage every turn without many conditions?
    4) spam powers or fire powers for cheap (6 or 7ap) and deals high damage?
    5) counter iHulkoye faster than BRB/Kitty?
    6) deals high damage reliably (e.g. non-trap tiles based)?

*working well means ending the match as fast as the best option (e.g. iHulkoye or Thor/Apocalypse), or even faster than the existing best option, whether it's accumulation of APS or damage boost.

When the answer is no, the new 5* is terrible.

I think the dev needs to come out and reveal what % of players are playing for speed. A few years ago, they answered that majority of players don't play for speed. So, it's interesting to see if things have changed.

I’m not saying any of the above points are wrong, but given PvP is 50% of the game they could be shortened to “Is the new 5* viable to use in competitive PvP?”

By competitive PvP, I mean does the new 5* even have any chance of winning matches vs the teams you’ll be matched with in the duo 5* MMR once past say 700, primarily Okoye/Ihulk, but with a light dusting of BRB/Kitty, Prof/Onslaught and the odd Apoc.

If the answer that to that is no, then the new 5* has little value to an existing player in the 5* tier (other than for collectors and for PVE) and for a 4* player hoping to make the jump to the 5* tier could likely make them quit the game as their experience in PvP would be so horrible.

The other 50% of the game is of course PVE and if a 5* could contribute towards faster or easier clears then that would also be welcomed.  Adam Warlock is the only recent release I feel has/could move the bar there, as even with only one black cover he accelerated my clears of the 5e in CL10 more than some fully champed classics have.  Of course that was in conjunction with Oyoye/Thor (or Kitty/Grockett) taking advantage of his passive AOE.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't think anyone here is saying each new 5 should rock the meta world. But they should be potent enough to actually want to use and not feel obsolete from day one.

We see D3 seemingly unwilling to mess around the with the current metas, at the same time not interested in buffing weaker or older characters. To keep releasing 5s left and right that are meh from the get go isn't doing anyone any favors. The newer ones we are getting should have more bite to their toolkits. D3 simply seems to have no vision other than continuing to churn out spitballed characters whether they're any good or not. 

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Depending on the levels of your 5* , you still can see Kitty/Polaris or R4G past 700.

This game is not about a single character taking down three characters at once. It's about teaming up characters to deal with opponents made up of different teams. In this game, there are a variety of mode. For example, there are:

1) 1 vs 1
    2) 2 vs 2
    3) 3 vs 3 with variations of a) pick 1 b) pick 2 and c) pick 3

For example, Okoye, Kitty and IHulk is terrible in 1v1, but they are good in the other two. I think Magneto is good in pick 3, but not pick 2. Yellowjacket is good in all 3. Unfortunately, what players here want is something even faster or something as fast as their best options.

When players limit their options to the fastest teams or character to end a match, naturally, their options are limited. When their options are limited or their critieria are "stringent", most 5* will look "unusable". That's why it's a waste of time to rework older 5* because the yardstick used in this forum to measure the usability of 5* characters is speed. As long as the reworked 5* doesn't tick off a string of 'yes' to the above questions, they will still be considered trash or meh along new characters like YJ or AW.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I question whether this character (Cyclops) could beat even mundane non-boosted teams with power costs this high, repeaters this slow that do nothing useful on proc, and no self accelerant. Even Danver5 starts out with a 3-turn repeater passively that gives you 3 green and it’s uselessly slow. At least Ghost Rider’s repeaters are green and can be as short as 1-turn. (Any meaningful anti-hulk needs to clog up or remove green quickly if it won’t mitigate incoming AOE)

it’s one thing to say not every character needs to disrupt the meta, but on the other hand every 5* is going to be somebody’s first, and MMR behaves how it does. There should be NO dead on arrival 5* releases at minimum.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why don't you pull half your tokens and save the rest for the next 5*? That's my strategy for investing in stocks.