Colors of magic

13»

Comments

• BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    boopers said:
    At the Event Level (applying to all nodes):
    In Titanomacy, you are not allowed to use Humans on either node.  The "event rule" is then applied to the Deckbuilding level.

So:

1) They can definitely make a rule at the deckbuilding level for the event that makes Mythic and above illegal to use for the whole event.

2) They can program a node to be restricted to a certain filter (colors), so it should be the same thing to place a "rule" on a specific node using the same/similar code.  It would be nice to have a visual indicator too, but I'll settle for "event info" stipulating which card rarities are allowed on each node.

For this event, simply applying an event rule similar to Titanomacy restricting rarity instead of "humans" would work just fine without any hacky coding.  Then they can just replace the objectives.  For an event like CotC top node... it might take a little bit more work for them.  
    I'm pretty sure it's in The Colossal Tussle, not in Titanomachy. But I completely agree with what you are saying. It can be done!
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    My initial excitement about new mechanics (which is different and thus pretty cool) dropped quickly after checking the rewards. Rank 1 rewards are probably the lowest single player Tier 1 rewards in MPQ ever.

5 Jewels, two modest card packs (last time, I got ~180 crafting runes from them, that's all) and Runes (which nobody cares about, but the devs still think we are excited) cannot be taken seriously.

Of course, this is a general feeling. Most of new events tend to have less and less rewards. Unfortunately, the devs think taking things away from us and treating us worse and worse is the factor which will make us happy and willing to pay. In my case, it's actually the opposite. I was willing to pay when I was felt that I am treated fair and with respect, which is no more the case.

What for next new event? Rank 1 rewards: 1 Mana Jewel, 1 Uncommon card and 10000000 Runes? Yeeey.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Persil said:
    My initial excitement about new mechanics (which is different and thus pretty cool) dropped quickly after checking the rewards. Rank 1 rewards are probably the lowest single player Tier 1 rewards in MPQ ever.

5 Jewels, two modest card packs (last time, I got ~180 crafting runes from them, that's all) and Runes (which nobody cares about, but the devs still think we are excited) cannot be taken seriously.

Of course, this is a general feeling. Most of new events tend to have less and less rewards. Unfortunately, the devs think taking things away from us and treating us worse and worse is the factor which will make us happy and willing to pay. In my case, it's actually the opposite. I was willing to pay when I was felt that I am treated fair and with respect, which is no more the case.

What for next new event? Rank 1 rewards: 1 Mana Jewel, 1 Uncommon card and 10000000 Runes? Yeeey.
    Yeah, I don't play it for that reason. Doesn't seem worth the time/headache.

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Persil and @jtwood - are they giving us less? Sure the prizes for placing first is pretty underwhelming, but could it be because they have moved the benefit of playing to progression?
  • Persil
    edited March 2021
    Tremayne said:
    @Persil and @jtwood - are they giving us less? Sure the prizes for placing first is pretty underwhelming, but could it be because they have moved the benefit of playing to progression?
    I guess the best example is Zendikar Expeditions - less rewards than there used to be in Rising Tensions, while you have to play more games - minimum of 7, while its was 4 for Rising Tensions. Even worse, initially it was 10 games, they changed it under players' pressure.
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Persil said:
    Tremayne said:
    I guess the best example is Zendikar Expeditions - less rewards than there used to be in Rising Tensions, while you have to play more games - minimum of 7, while its was 4 for Rising Tensions. Even worse, initially it was 10 games, they changed it under players' pressure.

You give an example of an event that doesnt have placement rewards to support your argument that placement rewards, and therefore all rewards, are trending down, in response to a question about moving placement rewards to progression rewards.  Doesnt seem like the best example. 
    Placement rewards have been trending down for awhile now.  I cant comment on progression rewards since I dont pay that close attention to the history of those.  Aside from Zendikar Expeditions, I feel like progressions rewards on the whole are worth the effort needed to obtain them.  Once you remove the pressure of needing first place to get decent rewards, a lot of these events are fun enough to play.  You can afford to play more "fun" but less "competitive" decks and still reach progression.  I'm all in favor of this trend for non-coalition events.  Coalition events have that added pressure of your team, and thus should have better placement rewards so you feel rewarded for helping your team, not miserable that you have to continue playing past progression.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    @persil - as @ambrosio191 wrote that is comparing apples to oranges, but I’ll bite. In all honesty did you not think RT was to good to be true? Don’t get me wrong I’ll take the RT prizes any day, but I didn’t expect that would last for ever.
  • jtwood
    edited March 2021
    Persil said:
    Tremayne said:

You give an example of an event that doesnt have placement rewards to support your argument that placement rewards, and therefore all rewards, are trending down, in response to a question about moving placement rewards to progression rewards.  Doesnt seem like the best example. 
    Placement rewards have been trending down for awhile now.  I cant comment on progression rewards since I dont pay that close attention to the history of those.  Aside from Zendikar Expeditions, I feel like progressions rewards on the whole are worth the effort needed to obtain them.  Once you remove the pressure of needing first place to get decent rewards, a lot of these events are fun enough to play.  You can afford to play more "fun" but less "competitive" decks and still reach progression.  I'm all in favor of this trend for non-coalition events.  Coalition events have that added pressure of your team, and thus should have better placement rewards so you feel rewarded for helping your team, not miserable that you have to continue playing past progression.
    I tried to do some analysis of this a while back, but it was too time consuming for my lifestyle for me to properly document it. But I did get to the point where I realized that coalition events only pay out their rewards through coalitions themselves - they have moved rewards away from the individuals. And really only T2, T10, and maybe T25 teams get anything worth the time they spend.
    Events like StD, CotC, and TCT are the individual-focused reward platforms.
    The dailies are meh, and overall, FtP players have been getting "paid" less and less over the last 12-18 months.
    The ideal system for a FtP player right now is to be on a T10 team.
  • ambrosio191
    jtwood said:
    I tried to do some analysis of this a while back, but it was too time consuming for my lifestyle for me to properly document it. But I did get to the point where I realized that coalition events only pay out their rewards through coalitions themselves - they have moved rewards away from the individuals. And really only T2, T10, and maybe T25 teams get anything worth the time they spend.
    The dailies are meh, and overall, FtP players have been getting "paid" less and less over the last 12-18 months.

Hasnt the ideal system for any player always been to be on a T10 team?
    I dont feel like we have been getting less from progression over the last year (Rising tensions/zendikar expeditions debacle aside).  It could certainly be an increase in the average number of games needed to receive the same rewards.  Right now it feels like we just have more events in general going on than say a year or so ago.   
  • jtwood
    jtwood said:

Sure, what I meant by that is the rewards that used to be available through progression have been pushed so hard to the coalition side that you really need to be T25/T10 to have a chance at getting those rewards now. You just can't do it by yourself.
  • ambrosio191
    jtwood said:
    jtwood said:

Sure, what I meant by that is the rewards that used to be available through progression have been pushed so hard to the coalition side that you really need to be T25/T10 to have a chance at getting those rewards now. You just can't do it by yourself.

Fair enough.  I cant say I've noticed that, but as I've said, I havent looked into it.  Coalition events in general have been poor in rewards for a year now, but there have been so many other events running that I havent noticed needing a coalition to stay up on rewards.  I guess that plays into the needing more games to get the same rewards.  Before you could just play coalition events and stay current, but now you need the other events as well. 
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    Judging by ATV I'd say even the top coalition rewards are no great shakes either... :'(
    edit: My bad. It seems that I confused the reward structure for individual placement with the rewards for coalition placement. Coalition rewards, especially for the top coalitions, are fine. Individual placement rewards are as bad as the progression rewards - in a way, maybe even worse. Packs of cards and runes don't really cut it as far as veteran players are concerned, and since only the top coalitions earn decent coalition prizes I guess it leaves the rest of us on the outside looking in.
  • Rant_Ent
    Rant_Ent Posts: 68 Match Maker
    The award spaces are ridiculous. You can not with 3 points less finish 21 if there are twenty players at number 1. Also because the prize is a common booster pack, not some unique mythical.

A ranking that does not change is a sterile ranking, if at the top there are always the first 10 coalitions, the result is that the strong will continue to be strong, and all the others always behind.
    I'm not saying it's wrong, but more modern balance interventions wouldn't hurt.

But nothing will ever change.

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Finished flawless, got 4 packs (also from our relaxed coalition finishing 38th); all dupe commons and uncommons, even though I dont even have all of them yet. Droprates are sooo low and runes suck as reward.
  • Persil
    ArielSira said:
    runes suck as reward.
    Well now, thx to reward, instead of having 3562400 useless runes, you have 3565400 useless runes. Aren't you excited?  
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Persil said:
    ArielSira said:
    runes suck as reward.
    Well now, thx to reward, instead of having 3562400 useless runes, you have 3565400 useless runes. Aren't you excited?  
    From one detergent to another; no. Wish we could convert them to other currencies (in a reasonable way).