Moving the dial

AXP_isme
AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
Who was the last character that moved the dial for you? 

For me, Polaris was the last character that had a meaningful impact on my gameplay. I'm a 5* player but she can play nicely with any number of other characters in a number of combinations so she actually moved the dial for me. 

Before that, I'm struggling to remember. I've been using Thorkoye for so long. I'm interested to hear from the forum on who has changed your play style even if it's only by bringing a fun new gimmick to your matches. 

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a 4* player it's been:
    Polaris then Juggs.
    I really like Karnak and he has his moments when pair with America against Polaris teams in PvP (or the rare PvE nodes with Kraven) but he doesn't move the dial for me because he sits on the bench for Polaris/Juggs and only comes off for special occasions.
    KGB
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    I loved Karnak early doors, a lot of players underestimated him in PvP and the defensive wins rolled in which was particularly nice in SHIELD SIM. I love Apocalypse myself, so versatile and fun to play.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a 5-star player, and Polaris was the last major game changer for me.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    polaris/apoc/ihulk
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    polaris/apoc/ihulk
    Same. I use Apocalypse/Thor over Okoye all the time. I was super stoked to hear we were getting 5* Magneto, but then he came out, and wasn't any good.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    polaris/apoc/ihulk
    Same. I use Apocalypse/Thor over Okoye all the time. I was super stoked to hear we were getting 5* Magneto, but then he came out, and wasn't any good.

I have a 3/3/4 Apoc and I used him for the first time in pve the other day with Iceman and Thor. So fun, so I hope to get him champed, or close to it, soonish. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    polaris/apoc/ihulk
    Same.

Before that it was BRB. Sad to say that so few new additions actually see regular use. 

That said, I do enjoy 5* DP enough to bring him out to play. Certainly not out of necessity though.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    5* DP is an interesting one. I haven't been impressed with Heimdall, Magneto or Adam Warlock so I probably won't end up with many covers of GRDP but his kit looks like fun, if a little convoluted. 
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Onslaught!
    For more than a year I only used Thorkoye (with Sabretooth) or BRBitty (with Bishop) teams in SHIELD sim. But nowadays with Polaris being part of every other team (see the comments above) I like go hunting for her. And best anti-Polaris team is Onslaught with Professor $. They only need one match-4 at the start of the fight to knock her out. My third usually is Apocalpse in case she cannot be killed instantly and generates a lot of protect tiles (her partners are mostly BRB/Kitty or BRB/Apocalypse).
    I always put Onslaught in a spot where his power fires before Professor's because when the board is full of TU-tiles Know his name kills her instantly and Signal Boost then goes to the next enemy. I also like his blue power a lot. I try to work out some cascades and at the same time do as much damage as possible because of the enemy tiles.
    I'm definitely having a lot of fun with Onslaught/Prof$/Apo although it is not a scarecrow-team on defense
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it's purely based on meta /speed alone, it's Polaris for 4* land PvEs and champed 5* PvEs. Before that, it was Karnak and Juggernaut.

In 4* land PvPs, it was Polaris. Before her it was Karnak.
    In single champed 5* land PvPs, it is still Polaris.
    In 5* land PvPs, it's iHulk.

I find it it difficult to rate because there are synergies involved. Without Okoye, IHulk might not be meta. Likewise, without BRB or R4G, Polaris might not be meta. For Juggernaut, without R4G, he could be pretty slow. Without Kitty Pryde, Polaris/BRB/Juggernaut might not have been better.

If we are rating it based on fun factor, then there are a lot of choices. 
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    5* Player. Polaris has had the greatest impact on play for me, generally. For pick 2s, I find myself running ProfX & Onslaught fairly often.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crazily, I've been pretty happy with most of the characters being released recently.  I feel like there are more situational teams available for PVP.  And interesting synergies.

The unfortunate part is since the game is the way it is, some of these great counter teams are pretty easy to counter themselves.  Which means people don't use them and it's still mostly just seas of Britty and Hulkoye.
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, Polaris, Apoc, and IHulk have all been impactful characters.  

I think Scorpion may also be impactful once everyone gets him covered (at least in PVE). 
    5DP, Karnak, & Heimdall are also fun (if not overly impactful). 
    Overall, it's been a pretty good run of characters lately. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Baby champ 5* player. For it me it's:
    heimdall>Polaris>apoc>IH>BRB.  (And heimdall is a bit of a cheat.  He isn't better than anything I already had, but he IS another reliable true healer to deploy in cl10 pve, so I can play a bit more recklessly with thorkoye when I can bring out heimdall + vulture or shuri or whoever as a sustainable b team.  Basically the gap between a heimdall-based team and a DD/SS based team ise maningful in challenging nodes.)
    Karnak s just below the threshold for me.  Very good, but not useful over my existing options.  Scorpion might be similarly good when I get around to champing him.

• Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2021
    I got an almost champed 5/2/5 iHulk, and I have been keen on champing him,
    but I just don’t like using him.
    Okoye always needs to be healed pretty soon, and he’s no good as a counter against himself.
    I don’t think he’s a fun character at all,
    I used to use him with Kitty and Valkyrie for challenge nodes because I put a support on Kitty to make red the primary color.  But now he’s out leveled that so Valkyrie accumulates green.  Which is useless,

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Rosraf said:

I think Scorpion may also be impactful once everyone gets him covered (at least in PVE). 
    A Heimdall/Scorpion/ power boost team took out 6 goons for me in 1 move with a net gain in purple AP. He’s great against the goon waves 
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    AXP_isme said:
    Who was the last character that moved the dial for you? 

Moonstone
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Rosraf said:

A Heimdall/Scorpion/ power boost team took out 6 goons for me in 1 move with a net gain in purple AP. He’s great against the goon waves 
    Exactly. I think Scorpion may wind up being a wave-node champion.  His purple can become a self-feeding winfinite that will just tear through waves even faster than IHulk. It will be close though since his purple is slow to get started. 
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I feel the character that moved the dial the most was Dr. Strange (mostly 3*, but I guess 5* too).  When Strange came along, there weren't many super useful passives, but his finally allowed an effective way to handle goons better than anyone had before, in turn allowing players to make good progress in PvE and eventually expanding into other areas of the game.  I feel that his yellow is what kicked off the trend of useful passives that still continues to this day.

It's been a few years since he launched and there are better options now, but when Dr. Strange came into the game, that's when I felt that the game really turned a corner all across the board.