Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D

qandols
qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
Did they forget to lock days 2 and 3? All are playable as it is.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was surprised that too.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Do NOT use a Throg vs Throg in the loaner node.  That match took me 20 minutes to finish up, and it was denying yellow at all costs.

And wow...Thing/Star Lord/Mordo is even harder now with Surfer as the 5-star.  If you ever needed some proof on how much he needs a boost, here it is.  I've wiped 5 times so far, and I haven't even taken down Thing yet.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    Thank you. I lucked out into a fresh bracket and it ended up being a race.

Race for what? Is there some hidden reason to care about brackets in DDQ or Shield?  I didn't think they mattered.

I think this might have been a dev oversight but I think it was nice to be able to play the whole event at once.  I hope they keep it like this for the future.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    I refuse to play any 'A test of skill...' node until they change the setup. I have a blood pressure to mind about. 
  • Robadub
    Robadub Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Silver Surfer might seem like a funny choice but he's actually the best 5^ to compliment Throg's abilities. I was able to take the Thing, Star Lord and Mordo down, without a whale. 
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Throg and Vulture are practically unstoppable together no matter who is paired with them.  Get them airborne, they heal, earn a ton of AP, they land, deal damage and board shake, fire of a bunch of powers, rinse and repeat.  I tore through the 5* nodes with no issues.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whales. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Theghouse said:
    Throg and Vulture are practically unstoppable together no matter who is paired with them.  Get them airborne, they heal, earn a ton of AP, they land, deal damage and board shake, fire of a bunch of powers, rinse and repeat.  I tore through the 5* nodes with no issues.
    I Whaled them to win. Then I went back and tried with vulture and won by boosting yellow and black by 4 each to start the airborne fun and beat both nodes.  Trick is to have throg take killer blows only when he can match a blue to ignore the damage.

KGB
  • winter37
    winter37 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Pet avengers is really powerful, but it's not that easy to keep the blue repeater active AND Throg the target unless you happen to have a Surfer that DOESN'T tank blue
  • winter37
    winter37 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Ok yeah, Vulture as the third is the way to go: the mistake I was making was using Vulture's Green, when Throg's green is much faster.

• MegaBee
    KGB said:
    Theghouse said:
    I Whaled them to win. Then I went back and tried with vulture and won by boosting yellow and black by 4 each to start the airborne fun and beat both nodes.  Trick is to have throg take killer blows only when he can match a blue to ignore the damage.

KGB
    Same. Surfer went down fast, but Throg and Vulture cleaned up. It was delightful. 
  • MrDupaTM
    MrDupaTM Posts: 67 Match Maker

And wow...Thing/Star Lord/Mordo is even harder now with Surfer as the 5-star.  If you ever needed some proof on how much he needs a boost, here it is.  I've wiped 5 times so far, and I haven't even taken down Thing yet.

Legion is the play. Fire his black power asap and then go for blue (to reinforce his black), pink (to destroy 2 enemy pinks every turn) and green (so The Thing doesn't fire his power).

It takes forever but once you get 2-3 black invisibility tiles, you're untouchable.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    No whales.  Took in Surfer and Throg and iHulk.  Surfer helps out by dropping charged tiles.  I let iHulk face tank any imminent damage and gathered yellow and went airborne if the enemy was about to fire a power.  Or if iHulk died and injured all, Throg yellow pretty much super healed everyone after that.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wiped out loads of times, but got there with Yelena in the end. I took down Mordo first because his powers were below the AP punishing threshold (and hit very hard at those levels), since all that damage is nibble damage it rarely triggered Thing's jump in front. It was hairy, but I got it done in the end.

On the final node I used my 5torm/Negasonic/Throg team, and it was about as funny as I expected for cascades but didn't hit that hard or do all that much damage.
  • MegaBee
    pheregas said:
    No whales.  Took in Surfer and Throg and iHulk.  Surfer helps out by dropping charged tiles.  I let iHulk face tank any imminent damage and gathered yellow and went airborne if the enemy was about to fire a power.  Or if iHulk died and injured all, Throg yellow pretty much super healed everyone after that.  
    Did Throg's blue passive negate damage from iHulk's res?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Robadub said:
    Silver Surfer might seem like a funny choice but he's actually the best 5^ to compliment Throg's abilities. I was able to take the Thing, Star Lord and Mordo down, without a whale. 
    Black Bolt and Storm say hi. Surfer is only optimal in the sense that he and Throg don't have clashing active abilities.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    In the context of this particular shield training node of Thing, Starlord and Mordo, I find Silver Surfer's abilities complement Throg.

Reasons are:
    1) he can convert up to 4 basic tiles of your choice to charged tiles, which means you can choose yellow and block Starlord from putting his countdown. On top of that, yellow is Throg's strongest colour, so it helps him with his damage from passive power.

2) unlike most of your repeaters or CD tiles, his Silver Singularity processes even when you are airborne, which means you are gaining up to 5 ap per turn, plus any potential aps from cascades. Put it at a strategic place and you can keep things running for a turn or two more, depending on who your third is.

I thought of Storm but they have active colour overlaps in both green and yellow but she can generate black charged tiles passively, which is her strongest colour. Bolt starts off with two charged tiles and passive damage when the condition is met. He and Throg also have overlap in both green and yellow.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the context of this particular shield training node of Thing, Starlord and Mordo, I find Silver Surfer's abilities complement Throg.

Reasons are:
    1) he can convert up to 4 basic tiles of your choice to charged tiles, which means you can choose yellow and block Starlord from putting his countdown. On top of that, yellow is Throg's strongest colour, so it helps him with his damage from passive power.

2) unlike most of your repeaters or CD tiles, his Silver Singularity processes even when you are airborne, which means you are gaining up to 5 ap per turn, plus any potential aps from cascades. Put it at a strategic place and you can keep things running for a turn or two more, depending on who your third is.

Good points. I forgot that his Black procs independently, because I used Apocalypse in the Star/Mordo/Thing node. Plus he's immune to stun, although Thing's Green will still likely one-shot him anyway.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    pheregas said:
    It did not negate it.  Landing after yellow healed everybody up, though, including iHulk, so it was like being given a free reset.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    MegaBee said:
    pheregas said:
    It did not negate it.  Landing after yellow healed everybody up, though, including iHulk, so it was like being given a free reset.
    I've been testing it in Throg's pvp, and it definitely did negate it for me; are you sure?