Question about Welcome Journal

Muhhh
Muhhh Posts: 66 Match Maker
Not sure if I missed something but the timing of the new quests is confusing me. I completed the first three quests and got a notification that there was 18 hours until the next quest. That was 20 hours or so ago and now when I check it says that I have 23 more hours until a new quest is available. Anyone seeing beyond the first three quests? 

Comments

• Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    I am finding them to work as described. You will only gain one new quest for each refresh period, so as long as you have completed at least one quest at the refresh time, you will gain one new quest and your rerolls will be refreshed, too. My guess is that you finished all three quests and gained a new quest at the refresh time, and the next quest slot now has a 23hr timer on it. The third slot should just be marked “completed”.

I have found that the quest timer suffers from the same bug as the free packs and event charges, where you often have to force the app to contact the server to update the timer, but I haven’t seen this to cause the timer to increase, only to not count down correctly / quickly enough.
  • Muhhh
    Thanks @Bubbles_CS. That was the issue. Closed and reopened and the newest quest was there. 
  • jjorissen
    jjorissen Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    I only see 'coming soon'. Are these quests not yet available for everyone?
  • Bubbles_CS
    jjorissen said:
    I only see 'coming soon'. Are these quests not yet available for everyone?
    That’s correct, @jjorissen. After the last patch saying it includes the quest system, there was an in-game inbox message (in a very tiny font) announcing that it would be available initially only to new accounts, who have access to a special newbie quest journal, and VIP subscribers (including the free one-week trial). My guess is that the upcoming maintenance will activate this for all accounts, but this hasn’t been announced yet and is only speculation on my part.
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Strange, yesterday I was on Welcome Journal 1, with one quest left to finish the journal. The timer was working fine, counting down to the next quest.

This morning, I am now on Welcome Journal 4, with three quests to complete, instead of having a single new one, and the chance to finish Journal 1.

Did I just miss out on all the rewards from Journals 2 & 3? I also didn’t get to finish Journal 1, and lost the final reward for that. The rewards for Journal 4 are not as good. 

I understand it’s just in beta, but this seems rather odd. I wonder if it was purposefully done, to reduce the resource output? I’d like to think that isn’t the case, but it could well be. Didn’t see this coming.
  • Bubbles_CS
    I was moved from Journal 2 to Journal 3 starting today. It would be nice to properly understand how this should be working, especially as this is a beta so we can report when something isn’t working.
  • Muhhh
    Strange. I am still on Welcome Journal 1 and have earned the final reward twice, and am waiting for a single recharge that will put me halfway to the final reward again. 
  • Muhhh
    As soon as I posted the previous comment and went back to the game I have been moved to journal 4. 
  • Bubbles_CS
    “Final reward”? Journal 2 had a crystal-and-pack addition to the reward at the third tier (everything else was 2,000 runes and I played all possible quests) and Journal 4 had a booster reward at the first tier.

I wonder if we get random journals each week for data collection purposes? Again, communication on this would be great so we can comment on what we like or what isn’t working.
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    By “final reward”, I mean the fourth and last reward section in a journal. Some reward sections require only 1 quest completed to claim, others you have to complete 2 or even 3 quests to claim. @Bubbles_CS

I had completed 1 out of 2 needed quests to claim the last reward, for journal 1.

I wonder if the state of completion that a journal is left in remains constant, or if it’s gone for good once they switch? I am also confused about once all are completed, we’ll earn the last reward from then on out? I hope it’s not just runes. 

Too little info to determine. W/o communication, all we can do is speculate. Some kind of weekly reset? 
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    My quest journal goes from saying my next quest is in 22 minutes then refreshes and says my next quest is in 23 hours. I can never get the last quest.
  • Bubbles_CS
    Today I had to force quit and reload the app to get my new quest. I had a suspicious 23hr timer and no new quest and no other active quests, and forcing the app to contact the server a few times by going to events and back to home didn’t help on its own.
  • Specter
    Specter Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    The final rewards are trash. The packs they are giving are trash. The profile exp is nice, but not gonna ever buy a pw in exchange for 200 exp or whatever nonsense it is. Nice to see some new content, but these rewards are not great and need improvement 
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I just got vip pro and I still don't have accses  to the journal. is it only offered to those who already had vip when it was rolled  out?
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    It was supposed to be in "beta" for VIP from December 14-21st. I don't have VIP and don't have access to it either. I'm just assuming we have to wait until the next update to get it. 
  • Bubbles_CS
    Tezzeret said:
    I just got vip pro and I still don't have accses  to the journal. is it only offered to those who already had vip when it was rolled  out?
    The original announcement, which is no longer available, stated that users who were VIP on 14 December would be included in the beta, so if you were not VIP on that date you would not see quests until they are GA.
  • Bubbles_CS
    critman said:
    How long is this beta going on for? When are the rest of the players getting the Journal?
    Whoa, slow down. That sounds like a question for the January Q&A, which isn’t available yet and only allows one question per person (if they like your question)! You should have an answer to one of these in mid-February.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    critman said:
    critman said:
    How long is this beta going on for? When are the rest of the players getting the Journal?
    Whoa, slow down. That sounds like a question for the January Q&A, which isn’t available yet and only allows one question per person (if they like your question)! You should have an answer to one of these in mid-February.
    Feels like it's, I dunno, a question for the official MTGPQ forum? 

Why not post it in both?  Not like its gonna get answered anyway
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    So, I've been logging in getting the daily reward and a free card pack. I keep seeing this journal changing from 1 to 4, now... Haven't done anything with them (not sure if anyone even recognizes me as an old player, but that's irrelevant, I suppose).

Why are they even changing number? Am I eventually going to see Welcome Journal 50+, some day?

I honestly did try searching "journal" and "welcome journal" in the forums before I posted this but all I got were posts about how it was bugged in beta... :neutral:

Sorry if this is a de-rail, too.. feel free to ignore it. 
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Azerack - some things are still unknown about the the daily quest (to me at least).

However, it seems the idea is that the daily quests are tied to two rewards, a XP reward when you complete the quest and a in-game currency when you have completed 1-3 quests. This second part is what is behind the welcome journal.

Apparently, the idea is that the journals have a lifetime, if you do not complete your daily quests then the journal will be left unfulfilled (and removed for a new journal). That why you see the numbers changing.