Milestone windfall optimization

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
A thread for strategies to discuss optimal deployment of all the milestone rewards (especially for those who haven't cashed in already).
I don't think we have ever seen something like 5+ targeted 5* covers dropped on us all at once (to say nothing of the other resources we will get).  What is the best way to use them?
I can see at least 3 obvious strategies, but it's not clear to me which is best for which type of player. What do you all think?
(1) backfilling: closing up holes in a roster by going back to finish key classic 5*s.  (Good for conpletionists and newer players who want the meta)
(2) strengthening strengths: adding levels to the very best characters like okoye, apoc, BRB, etc. (even big rosters end up using a handful of characters WAY more than anyone else, so dumping levels into them will likely have a bigger impact on day to day quality of life.)
(3) match damage games: making sure the right character tanks (arguably a variant of 2 above, but like is better when okoye tanks for Thor/ih/apoc).
(4) hoard for the next meta release! (It's rarely a bad option in MPQ. . .).

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with A and filled in some gaps
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    I think most players will go with A.

Super competitive players will go with B.

Choice C can be mitigated with Supports.

Choice D when you have nothing to add.

I went with A.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with 1 since I needed to complete IHulk and BRB. I finished IHulk (accidentally got 1 extra before I switched) and need 2 more for BRB.
    1 is probably the best as long as you are back filling semi-meta characters (ie no Banners, Wasps, Goblins, Carols, Kingpins etc) that you might use.
    If I already had 20 5* fully covered including the T10-12 best 5* then I'd forgo getting the rewards until the next meta release.
    KGB
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    I’m torn between:

1) Finishing Banner... the last character I need to champ em all (sans Mags who can’t be sharded) 

2) Putting levels on Okoye (she needs nine covers to tank red over Thor if I were to not softcap him... so I don’t think Shardmas will get me there)

3) Saving in the event I get an awful distribution on a future Latest. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I made the stupid mistake of claiming it all while doc ock was targeted. I needed 4 covers to champion him but that’s another 4 champion levels of wasted shards. 
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with (2) and (3). My Okoye needed 6 more covers to tank blue and purple over Ihulk. 

Now that she tank all colours except for green, I expect my PVP experience to be much better (less health pack intensive), as I climb and float. 
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I made a mistake and okoye was not tanking red over Thor anymore, I fixed that. Now I’m still analyzing. Wait for new 5, get last cover for Cable, or work on black suit spidey 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with 1) and 2). I FINALLY finished my kitty, after so long, she is finally champed! (I can’t believe she is done). Then I got one level for Onslaught to get his green to 4 and then one level more for Okoye.

I still have a few shards I can claim, and I have doubts about going with more Okoye or maybe trying to get a few levels more for BRB (mine is just 450).
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,049 Chairperson of the Boards
    Going with 4). I champed 5* Deadpool and GG cuz I was pretty close. 
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2020
    I went for finishing/12 covering all my classic fives.

BP from 10 to champed when my 4BP is just 322.

4* shards to push Mr F for 3 covers to 360 to champ SS.

One added level to Iron Man to make 12 and 4* rewards to push WM to 336 1/2.

One level added to Yelena to make her 12 covers.

Two levels to Widow to make her 12 covers.

And those are finishing my classics. I have the 550 five shard reward that 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Since I have all the metas champed, perhaps with the exception of Onslaught who I see a lot but don't really miss using, I went with strategy 2 (which also helped strategy 3, since I put all the levels into Okoye). However, if I had been missing any of the metas, I would have likely chosen option 1.

For me, putting levels on the toons I use every day felt more valuable than getting to champ some toons that would sit on the shelf except when featured.

I have a theory that I was targeted more in PvP because my iHulk wasn't champed (to keep him from tanking Red over Okoye) even though his damage wasn't that much less than a champed iHulk. With the extra levels on Okoye I finally champed iHulk so we'll see.

I'll keep my Okoye shargeted for the near future and keep an eye out for special vaults and feeders. Right now there are only 8 characters (outside of latests) I can't finish with their 4* feeder either because they don't have one yet (e.g. Onslaught) or because I don't have enough covers unless I dupe and rechamp the feeder (Doctor Octopus).
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with number 1... but I don't know if I did it right.

My JJ went from 7 covers to champed with 1 champ level on her.  ...honestly didn't expect SEVEN covers worth of shards, and I wasn't counting!

Sure, she's a pretty good character... but I do NOT have BRB champed, or iHulk.  I had JJ selected because I also had Chavez selected -- I was building her up through shards.  I'm still waiting and hoping that BRB and iHulk get feeders, and then I'll change my targets towards them.  

For now, I moved onto 5* Storm (because she seems like a fun alt to play around with).  Really hoping feeders are coming, though, just for those few 5*s that I need.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:

For now, I moved onto 5* Storm (because she seems like a fun alt to play around with).  Really hoping feeders are coming, though, just for those few 5*s that I need.
    I think feeders are coming but I also suspect they will never again be back loaded with rewards. They will be like Red Guardian/Scorpion where they are feeders when they are newly released.
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    I went with number 1... but I don't know if I did it right.

My JJ went from 7 covers to champed with 1 champ level on her.  ...honestly didn't expect SEVEN covers worth of shards, and I wasn't counting!

Sure, she's a pretty good character... but I do NOT have BRB champed, or iHulk.  I had JJ selected because I also had Chavez selected -- I was building her up through shards.  I'm still waiting and hoping that BRB and iHulk get feeders, and then I'll change my targets towards them.  

Try running JJ with Onslaught in pick 2 if you have him. It’s a cascade monster team in this iceman event right now.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    I have one classic 5-Star that will not reach 13 covers without making a high-level feeder duplicate: Star-Lord. I will apply enough shards through milestone rewards that he will reach 13 covers if Drax gets to level 360.
    The other rewards? I guess I'll level Okoye a bit further and hold onto the rest as a safety blanket for the uncertain future.
    The real question is: Who shall be by 4-Star target once all classic feeders are finished?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have one classic 5-Star that will not reach 13 covers without making a high-level feeder duplicate: Star-Lord. I will apply enough shards through milestone rewards that he will reach 13 covers if Drax gets to level 360.
    The other rewards? I guess I'll level Okoye a bit further and hold onto the rest as a safety blanket for the uncertain future.
    The real question is: Who shall be by 4-Star target once all classic feeders are finished?
    Shuri or Emma?  You know, for Okoye or Kitty levels?  That's my first thought, for someone in your position.

Of course, you could push Polaris to max level if she's not there yet.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am not entirely sure how to proceed myself.
    I have almost all the essential meta cuddled champed (IH at 11/13 is still low, but that works fine for me so okoye can still tank). and I am not close enough to getting okoye to the main thresholds to just dump them all into her. 
    So the stragglers are second tier, but useful, characters like onslaught, omd, carnage, and using this opportunity on them just doesn't feel right.
    So in the end I will probably procrastinate on the choice  until someone better Congress along and then use this to accelerate the next meta release.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I targeted 5 stars near completion ( finished 4) , then moved on to target 4 stars that could feed 5 stars whole were under covered. .
  • Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    My options are, after championing my close Okoye:

1. Put six covers into my IHulk, getting him to 10/13, and pray for a feeder eventually (plus bonusing)
    2. Champion BRB, who is exactly 6 covers away
    3. Spread the love, and give a cover to Onslaught (currently 11/13), Storm (currently 10/13), Cap First Avenger (10/13), and three covers to Goblin (currently 8/13)

or some combination therin. I cannot decide. IHulk seems amazing, BRB is proven good, but I am running out of "close" 5*s to chase and option 3 gets me closer on plenty that while not meta, I do like. 

Any insights? For reference, I currently have Bolt, Strange, JJ, Kitty, Pheonix, OML, Gambit. Surfer, Spider-Man, Thanos, Inifinity Cap, Hawkeye, Professor X, and now Okoye champed, with plans to champ Thor, Iceman, and Star-Lord soon via feeders.