Need opinions for new person

Speed283
Speed283 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
I am in 2* land approaching 3
I have 1.6 million ISO. Should I continue to save it or spend it to farm more 2*?

Comments

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Your 2* quickly become irrelevant as you jump to 3*.  Depends on whether you play for fun or to collect characters as your primary goal 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are 37 3*. It costs about 128k ISO-8 to champ them. If you have meta 3* like Dr Strange, Iron Man 40 and Thanos champed, what you can do is to sell away your maxed champ 2* once you have at least 1 cover of them waiting to be rostered in the vine. 
  • Speed283
    Speed283 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Thanks for the feedback. Is it worth $30 for the heroes for hire offers?
  • Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2020
    Those are meta fours so yeah but you are gonna have to be careful to not creep up too quickly. If you have characters on your roster at a certain level you move up in the tiers.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Speed283 said:
    Thanks for the feedback. Is it worth $30 for the heroes for hire offers?
    No - at the early stage of the game, you should be concentrating on building your roster:
    1 x 1* character
    all x 2* characters
    all x 3* characters (but concentrate on the ones who are fed by 2*, as they will come in more quickly)

Over time, covers for every single character will come in eventually, but they will be wasted if you don't have a slot for that cover.  

For roster slots, you need hero points, and any spending you do should be targeted at getting the most hero points per $.  The best value is when they occasionally offer double-HP for a Logan's Loonies.  Or otherwise when there is a HP sale (eg getting 30% bonus HP).

I recommend getting into a groove where you can play pve daily at a level where you are earning some HP without taking an onerous amount of time.  There really isn't any quick way to jump to 4* or 5* play, you just need to keep grinding away at it.  
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 488 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2020
    If you have the means get the current Polaris Karnak bundle. It´s the best investment for when you eventually enter 4* land.

Doing daily quests you will have a healthy surplus of iso. Save those spicy tokens and pop them when the vault has a 4* you want. Make good use of the save cover feature and be aware of which covers your 3* feeds so you can pace out who to champ first.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited December 2020
    The bundle is really good. A lot of players are snapping up this deal, based on Reddit MPQ's response. There isn't much response here because most are 5* players. If you have the roster space, go for it.

Polaris alone is already awesome. You might not have her meta 4* ally yet, but you can pair her up with Daken or Wolverine to multiply your strike tiles, or you can play her defensively with 2*Bullseye or 3*Spiderman. Karnak is also a meta 4*. 

3* land takes about 6 months to 8 months to get everyone champed. However, the timeline changes depending on how much you play. After that, you move to 4* land. 

It's not necessary to roster characters with limited tag, like Bagman or Howard the Duck etc at this point in time.
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Also, if you are looking for good investments moneywise, keep an eye open for the shield level packs. Every time you gain enough of a shield ranking to play a new level, you are offered a shield pack bargain. They all contain a fair amount of hp and are not very expensive. I recommend buying those if you can.

if you skip one, it may be offered again later, but that could take months. I remember the shiekd lvl bundle with 3* Iron Fist and Luke Cage was really helpful, those two 3* can be very handy in 3* land. Doc Strange + Iron Fist was my 3* clearing team for both pve and pvp in early 3* land
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards

It's not necessary to roster characters with limited tag, like Bagman or Howard the Duck etc at this point in time.

Whilst Hound is correct here, it is worth noting that Howard is one of the 4* that can win his Crash of the Titans with a single purple cover (it takes a loooooooong time but you can do it, I did so myself way back in the day) and as you get a shot at getting a cover for him every time Webbed Wonder is run, he might be the exception to the rule for Limited characters.
  • HoundofShadow
    I thought about that too, including Dino and Taskmaster. Currently, players without 5* Deadpool get to clear the Spicy Vault every 14 days. The next anniversary is approximately 300 days away. This means that they would get at least 21 Beginner Support Tokens if they clear the vault regularly. Approximately 2 of them will be R3, and 7 R2. With Supports, Crash has been made much easier with Taskmaster Sword's or Chewie. I think with the ease of access to Beginner Support token, we could extend this idea of rostering for Anniversary Crash to other limited characters.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    One thing to note - the game is going to try really hard to get you to "roster up" single covers of higher tier characters. This is fine for Story Mode play (PVE), but it will actively hurt your Versus Mode (pvp) play by making it so you only are fed harder teams as opponents if you roster them. 

I would encourage you to leave characters on your roster as you earn the hp for rostering them rather than rotating them out for newer ones. There is literally no downside to doing so save the maybe minor headache of navigating a large roster, and there is EVERY advantage to having them there champed in the form of node access and champion rewards. You're in for a pretty long road rostering everyone, but the process is decidedly easier now with shards and saved covers than it used to be. Try to reserve your HP spending to exclusively roster slots until you have room for everyone.
  • Bzhai
    And this is probably gonna be the hardest thing to do - resist the urge to open tokens unless you have a spare slot. Especially Heroic and Mighty ones. 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Don’t we also get a TM cover in the new PvE event?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    krakenoon said:
    Yes, I believe we do.  

That said, I'd think that the OP would still want to hold on to limited 4* covers received from PvE events (Howard, TM, SpiderHam from basilica)... if only because it's a constant trickle that WILL lead to a champed 4* over time without any tokens spent or whatever.  It's like free prizes!

But I can also understand the pressure of needing slots.  Hopefully prologue HP earned, and holding off on Heroic/Mighty/LTs until slots are free would help the process along.  Honestly wish I had that advice back in the day -- but back then, I was getting 4*s from Standards, so it was a wildly different era!  :)
  • Bzhai
    PiMacleod said:
    krakenoon said:
    Yes, I believe we do.  

That said, I'd think that the OP would still want to hold on to limited 4* covers received from PvE events (Howard, TM, SpiderHam from basilica)... if only because it's a constant trickle that WILL lead to a champed 4* over time without any tokens spent or whatever.  It's like free prizes!

But I can also understand the pressure of needing slots.  Hopefully prologue HP earned, and holding off on Heroic/Mighty/LTs until slots are free would help the process along.  Honestly wish I had that advice back in the day -- but back then, I was getting 4*s from Standards, so it was a wildly different era!  :)
    I remember getting a OML cover from a standard token. Crazy days.
  • PiMacleod
    OML??????

....um...  really?  I can't seem to remember 5*s even being around back in the time when standards could pull from anything greater than 3*s.  Maybe my memory is bad...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mostly agree with the roster advice you have received here.  additional investment in 2*s (beyond farming) becomes much less useful once you start playing in 3* land, and saving iso so that you are ready to champ high-value characters asap when they are covered and you are ready to advance your roster is always a good strategy.  I will defer to some of the newer veterans here on the forums when it comes to the particulars of the current 2*-->3* transition phase as my own transition experience in 2014 is unlikely to be particularly useful these days (3*s were the endgame back then, with the few 4*s in the game being trash trophy characters). 
    As for the Polaris/Karnak bundle: those are both very strong 4*s and adding playable versions to your roster would make a huge diference in your subjective game experience.  What's harder to judge is how much 3x covers for each of them will do for you.  I suppose that a 1/1/1 polaris might still be useful to combine with strike tiles generated by wolvie/daken.  But in strikes are relatively weak in 2* land to begin with, and polaris' own strikes will be pitifully weak with so few covers.  So while you might get a ton of damage ticks, they aren't likely to be very strong.  Similarly, Karnak's protect tile won't be worth much with a 1/1/1 build, nor will his boosted match damage. 
    I suspect that there are some players for whom this bundle is a very attractive offer, but that band is likely to be pretty narrow (for new players, the 3x covers alone aren't enough and the money is probably better saved or spent on roster slots, and for cl9/10 players it's easy enough to get 20 covers for each 4* new release as a matter of course). 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    OML??????

....um...  really?  I can't seem to remember 5*s even being around back in the time when standards could pull from anything greater than 3*s.  Maybe my memory is bad...

I don't believe 5*s were ever available from any non-legendary tokens prior to the release of Prof X (the ability to direct purchase his covers with [admittedly vast] amounts of HP is why he is Prof. $, after all!). 
    There are also fixed 5* covers in daily daily and champ rewards, and the very first two runs of civil war each rewarded fixed 5* covers (1 cover for each of IM46 and Avenger Cap for finishing round 8 on each side).  But 5*s in heroic token packs are still a relatively new thing.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    I only keep 3 champed 2*s at a time, and wait for somebody to either hit 144, or to have 50 saved covers to immediately flip them. I do that for DDQ because otherwise I'm post-2* play (Bagman has that April Fool's pvp, but otherwise 2*s aren't needed anywhere in SCL 10). I've max-champed 2x Bagmans, and I have a 3rd who is champable. Sometimes I'll champ 2 "real" 2*s and use him, but he's just so useless it isn't really worth it. But any 3 of them at any champed level can carry those two nodes. And in fact 2* Thor can solo those nodes, I used to just keep him around before I started farming 2*s.

I also keep my sp1der-Man at lvl 40 (he can go to 50) because i didn't want to spend the iso and he can solo that node with no trouble. I can "afford" to finish him now but I don't really care to at this point.

• PiMacleod
    Vhailorx said:
    PiMacleod said:
    OML??????

I don't believe 5*s were ever available from any non-legendary tokens prior to the release of Prof X (the ability to direct purchase his covers with [admittedly vast] amounts of HP is why he is Prof. $, after all!). 
    There are also fixed 5* covers in daily daily and champ rewards, and the very first two runs of civil war each rewarded fixed 5* covers (1 cover for each of IM46 and Avenger Cap for finishing round 8 on each side).  But 5*s in heroic token packs are still a relatively new thing.
    Yes, agreed, and understood.  I don't wanna call anything out, but I think the highest a Standard token ever went was up to a 4*.  At one point, it was changed, and no longer was anyone able to pull anything better than a 3*.  I only remember it going up to 4* because I pulled a couple old school 4* wolvie's from there, back when he was a green/yellow/red.  I also remember the day that they removed that ability for standard token odds, because I knew that my 4* pull rate was going to drop tremendously, since I wasn't such the player of MPQ that I am today.  :)