Champed Heimdall : Sneaky good or just meh?

13»

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    PiMacleod said:
    with or without Apoc/Okoye/Gritty boosting him?  I always feel like it's unfair to add such boosts to a character -- it's like I have to put an asterisk  after the results, because he's obviously on some sort of performance enhancer.  :tongue:

Sadly they are cruzial on scl10. Id wish there could be a mode restricting them and ihulk. It would be like playing a new game.
    I hear ya.  Throw Thor in there too.

HOWEVER -- I have a sneaking suspicion that Thorkoye will enjoy SamDak as a partner... His green costs 9 to start, but after that, it generates 3 itself after each use (assuming there's 3 greens still around).  Thor will still be collecting green... but it'll heavily favor red and yellow since SamDak will be hitting greens as well with his own green.  So that means more red for Okoye or SamDak to throw out there, since Thor will naturally be hitting more reds/yellows one SamDak's greens start rolling.

All boosted by Okoye, of course.  Could get ugly.  And we're not even mentioning how his passive black boosted by Okoye could be big trouble.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    well, he's not champed yet... HOWEVER, in PvE play, I did play around with a few teams, just for fun, to see what worked well enough.  Of course, I was using mostly meta stuff...

Thorkoye was okay... no pun intended.  Problem is, Power Creep!  I know SamDak is boosted, but even then, he ends up tanking for red and black due to power creep.  This lead me to...

Thorpocalypse!  That's a good one.  Obvioulsy Thor and Apoc don't need much introduction, or help even.  However, having the ability to put that green to repeated good use over and over again, which kept the board pretty dry on green... which meant Thor kept picking up red and feeding it to Apoc... phew... that was disgusting.  Of course, this took building to 9 green AP first.

Gritty worked as expected with him.  The best part was getting his black passives rolling, and letting them proc as often as possible.  If you get lucky enough to stumble into it two turns in around (meaning, having over 6 black AP two turns in a row), his repeaters start firing off back-to-back, and the damage is obviously boosted by those gritty strikes!  Great stuff.  But this is heavily board-luck dependant -- could just sit there doing nothing too.

And for fun, I tried THIS....

C&D and Domino.  Yeah, I doubled down on the black-tile love.
    Wow.  I got black AP real quick (duh).  Which lead to those repeaters real quick.  And since there was so many black tiles out, C&D made those attack tiles quick.  Which means that the repeaters had their requirements met.  It didn't take long at all to have 6 or more repeaters out there, firing off on separate turns, just pounding the enemies!  The other things that C&D and Domino provided were fun... but that's inconsequential compared to the damage output those repeaters were throwing down.

Overall -- I think the Thorpocalypse one was the quickest option, but that C&D one was pretty fun, and seemed solid, despite just having 4* partners.  Thorkoye and Gritty were just as expected, which is good, but nothing more than what's normal.

Of course, this is ALL PvE based info.  Nothing was really fighting back (you know what I'm saying).

EDIT:  I haven't forgotten the request to do a video... but I figured it'd be more interesting as a PvP based one.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really liked Domino as a 4* Player; I should try and find more uses for her.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Today on his 5E node I chose apoc, and yes, the great carnage itself. That was for having 1 turn more for dealing with those killer cds which goons fire at nice speed.
    About carnage(I know him reaaally well) he deals low damage on powers, he flagellates your team with his red and even more with his enemy attack tiles, he destroys your specials and your chances to do a critical, but hey! He has another move and he gets AP. So overall I was not hit for no cd but those heavy enemy strikes wich mixed with carnages ones dealed 15k damage one or two turns. Not much of a trouble.
    On the other hand I have daken at 8 covers, 2 more from shards waiting but I have not feeded him yet, he is still level 255.
    Well, you must believe that at some point on the battle the turn started dealing 70k damage with his repeaters.
    I think daken is a jack of all trades really effective that just happens to not being a meta fast killer.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    I'm also experiencing that kind of swapped expectation vs reality with Heim and OMD.

Expected OMD would be kind of tedious to make sure I'm meeting all the right requirements for his abilities, but he's really quite fun.

Expected Heimdall to be fun and pair well with everyone because he gives AP cost reduction and targeted Fortification, but... well, he's actually just kind of tedious.

I still expect that Heimdall has better potential of becoming a meta character.

I would suspect that we might get a 5* who does ~something~ while airborne (a la Vulture). Since this would be an obvious partner for Heim and be another attempt to try and get people using Archangel after all that effort on the rework.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    I’m already finding Samurine with Okoye and a black generator ( Domino) to be insanely effective even in CN. 
  • Bad
    edited November 2020
    Heimdall has some extreme nice tactical moves thanks to his valuable blue. He can put in safety precious repeaters and at the same time reducing AP color power. He can fortify protect tiles for apoc being able to hit them 2 times, or for brb, i.e.while healing himself.
    And he can protect from harm his allies sending airborne.
    Those moves so tactically interesting are lost in pvp where high speed is the priority, plus AI will be screwing all with dumb moves on defense, and without a right partner for to fortify his meta airborne he could only stand as a meatshield with damage reduction if he stands the last.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2020
    Heimdall worked really well with iHulk & Vulture for me during his last PVE event. Being boosted he could tank over iHulk for a long while and his blue reducing Vulture's black to 3 AP meant Vulture could stockpile black easily, while feeding blue & red back to Heimdall. Will have to try him unboosted & champed at some point.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I tried Vulture/BRB/Heimdall on the premise there'd be a ton of battery power and cost reduction, but it ended up that BRB did most of the heavy lifting before Vulture even got off the ground. I'd be curious to know what happens with hulk.

I ran Old Man Daken (3/2/4 lvl 255) with my ol' buddy Ghost Rider (Robby Reyes) and 50Thor in this current story on the 5e node. It's interminable to watch the hell of repeater tiles burning down every turn, but GRRR can collect that red/green/black for you while doing 300% tile damage. It probably would have been better with Apocalypse in third to actually boost the Daken tiles so it wasn't 100% chip damage; I was just lucky that node was 3 high level goons not making matches I guess.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reecoh said:
    Heimdall worked really well with iHulk & Vulture for me during his last PVE event. Being boosted he could tank over iHulk for a long while and his blue reducing Vulture's black to 3 AP meant Vulture could stockpile black easily, while feeding blue & red back to Heimdall. Will have to try him unboosted & champed at some point.

Yes, vulture is clearly a tempting option to pair with heimdall given the airborne synergy (though it would be better if heimdall created ap for any airborne ally, rather than just those sent airborne by his own yellow).  And IH seems like a solid third in that he is strong on his own, also pairs well with vulture, and heimdall can mitigate some of IH's downsides by tanking colors for him and healing the team damage.  Alas, this combo doesn't have any damage boosting, which might limit its value in modern MPQ, but heimdall's red can max out around 45k for 3ap, and at worst you can do do 32k for 3ap with IH's red.  Plus some modest AOE from vulture and ih, and special tile removal if necessary via vulture's blue.  I think this sounds like a very solid B team. not quite fast or reliable enough to be meta, but lots of fun to play and effective on all but the very worst boards.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2020
    I actually find SamDak’s eating black AP really annoying (I call it the blackuum) and a deterrent to my main pick 2 team (Thorpocalypse) and my backup (Vulture iHulk). Heimdall at least helps both.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    I actually find SamDak’s eating black AP really annoying (I call it the blackuum) and a deterrent to my main pick 2 team (Thorpocalypse) and my backup (Vulture iHulk). Heimdall at least helps both.
    On the 5* essential I have been running 4* Eddie Brock with 1/2 health Thor.  It works really well to make OMD shine
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    wymtime said:
    helix72 said:
    On the 5* essential I have been running 4* Eddie Brock with 1/2 health Thor.  It works really well to make OMD shine

Are you running that in SCL 10? I tested it and just can’t do enough damage against a Juggernaut who does over 40K damage for just 6 Red and has over 200K Health.
  • Vhailorx
    helix72 said:
    wymtime said:
    helix72 said:

Are you running that in SCL 10? I tested it and just can’t do enough damage against a Juggernaut who does over 40K damage for just 6 Red and has over 200K Health.

Yeah, I don't see where the damage, or the tanking, comes from on that team.  unboosted thor takes a long time to chip through several hundred thousands of hitpoints.  and OMD's puny true healing won't do much against a headbutt that can almost drop him from full health. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm thinking the strategy could be this:

4* Venom creates enemy protect tiles, which OMD can easily destroy enough to create 8 strike tiles. Then, OMD will be dealing damage with his repeaters and feeding more red aps as well. Each repeater deals about 8 to 10k damage. If there are 4 (which is not difficult), it's 32k to 40k of passive damage per turn. Thor can also deal more than 20k damage with his red power after that since 10 friendly tiles are achieved without much hassle.
  • Vhailorx
    I'm thinking the strategy could be this:

4* Venom creates enemy protect tiles, which OMD can easily destroy enough to create 8 strike tiles. Then, OMD will be dealing damage with his repeaters and feeding more red aps as well. Each repeater deals about 8 to 10k damage. If there are 4 (which is not difficult), it's 32k to 40k of passive damage per turn. Thor can also deal more than 20k damage with his red power after that since 10 friendly tiles are achieved without much hassle.

good points.  And with a halfthor leeching red from the field, it should be relatively easy to deny a headbutt. But if you are using OMD's red to make strikes, then you aren't using it for Thor's nuke, so this still sounds like a bit of a slog even with OMD's black-to-red arbitrage, and one bad ai cascade would be lethal.
    Personally, I can't say that I have done a ton of experimenting, I will say that I have found daken's repeater tiles a bit harder to proc than I would like, but I suppose they do get easier to proc with more covers. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,049 Chairperson of the Boards
    You know what works? 

Heimdall/OMD/Shuri

Heimdall/Shuri are normally better on paper than actual use because they share a crucial red power. Heimdall’s red hits hard with forts on the field and Shuri’s red makes the forts. 

But!.... OMD makes red with his black. You only need 6 black to convert to 3 red. Also when Heimdall sends OMD and Shuri on the Bifrost, you get 3 red and 3 blue. 
    You get things going pretty quickly. And you have a stun with Shuri. And 2 characters who true heal. Only real problem I feel is that you don’t have a way to put special tiles on the field without the enemy making them so you probably won’t get the damage part of OMD’s black. But with 7 forts, my lvl 453 Heimdall is doing 40000+ damage for 3 AP. Hard to turn that down. 
  • Bad
     Ive been playing more with my almost champed heimdall. On the bifrost bridge it says he spirits his allies to safety. Safety is the perfect word for to describe him. Safety to keep your special tiles, and for to stand a killer blow after using bifrost bridge and still be alive, and healing herself later while reducing more AP powers. Plus on pve a lot of supports fortify special tiles, and he takes advantage of this.
    He sacrifices speed for careful planning. But using him only for support gives good rewards. And health packs are saved too. Until airborne meta could be more developed he is a funny character for pve.