What is the most pointless card in the game?

2»

Comments

• mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Proud Heedbonder seems pretty pointless. The whole point of trample is that it interacts with blockers!

• Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2020
    mrixl2520 said:
    Proud Heedbonder seems pretty pointless. The whole point of trample is that it interacts with blockers!

A long time ago I read an article describing Trample as green’s form of evasion in the sensee that it allows your creatures to damage your opponent despite the presence of blockers. From this perspective, Proud Wildbonder “upgrades” the trample evasion ability to full-unblockable evasion.

Green also sometimes has the ability to damage the opponent even when blocked.
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    mrixl2520 said:

That creature "pairs" with Quartzwood Crasher in that it increases the amount of trample damage that gets through to the opponent. 
  • Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    A lot has to go right for Siren Stormtamer’s ability to matter:
    1) It’s an Activate ability so he has to start the turn on your board
    2) You have to activate it and then have it die in the same round.
    3) If you manage to activate it, it only does anything if your opponent has a spell in hand with mana and it’s the first spell in hand.
    Dispel has the same effect for 6 mana at common and you don’t need to be a contortionist. Better yet, you could drain all mana from the first card of any type for 3-6 mana.

Ignoring the ability for a moment, there are plenty of decent 3/3 or larger flying creatures for less than 11 mana. At 4-7 mana there is Ornithopter, Thought Devourer, Loyal Pegasus, Wind-Kin Raiders, Spectral Shepherd, Seraph of the Suns, Niblis of Frost, etc.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    critman said:

This is a new favorite of mine! Not only does the card text illustrate how superfluous Bravery is on *this* card, it also shows how pointless it is on *any* card and what a waste of time coding Bravery was.

I've used this. It gives +4 to your second creature. It's pretty solid in aggro weenie decks. 

The only problem with Bravery is that if you have two Bravery creatures in play, only one gets to activate. Other than that it's a pretty useful mechanic.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    jtwood said:
    Why is that so bad? If you give Pro to a vigilant or defender creature at flash speed, it can use the effect.
    Is that a good card? No. It's a common. But it's not like the card doesn't work as designed.
    To be fair, it was designed on paper to work on any creature, when almost all creatures are capable of blocking, not just half or less.  Protection is also supposed to completely negate damage, not half it.

I'd argue, strategy wise it barely covers half of mtg's originally designed usage 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    critman said:
    madwren said:
    critman said:

<Battle Rattle Shaman>

I've used this. It gives +4 to your second creature. It's pretty solid in aggro weenie decks. 
    Bully for you :) 

The thing is, though, that "the beginning of combat on your turn" always happens at the same time: at the beginning of combat, on your turn. If this card didn't have Bravery, it would do exactly the same thing. If every other card that had Bravery was worded like this, it wouldn't matter if they had Bravery, either.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's redundant. =) The card itself isn't pointless, though. The wording is. 

• Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Solemnity is actually mildly useful these days, now that Greg knows how to cycle, and there's more cycling cards in Standard.  
    It's not just a troll card anymore.  
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    I'm going to add Herald Of The Forgotten to the list.

https://mtgpq.info/cards/HeraldOfTheForgotten

Now this might seem a bit harsh - it's an 8/8 flying creature that brings back cards from your graveyard AND gives them a ton of mana. BUT it brings back cards with Cycling, and if I cycle cards they go to Exile not to Graveyard.

So to make this card work, I have to arrange for Cycling cards to get dumped into my graveyard. In White. And all of a sudden I see why I've never seen Herald played against me in any event or TG.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2020
    @Xucachris - in mono white totally agree.

Now the world of MTGPQ is not totally black and white (see what I did there? 😁) so using this card with a red/white or blue/white PW is totally legit (assuming you have some of the mythics that lets you discard cycling cards to the GY)

Whether that is a viable setup, I don’t know. I have yet to field HOTF.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Necromancer's Covenant. 

For very the obvious reason that it is unobtainable,  thus it is pointless to even have available in the collection. 
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    Gunmix25 said:
    Necromancer's Covenant. 

For very the obvious reason that it is unobtainable,  thus it is pointless to even have available in the collection. 
    Haha, excellent addition to the list. I'll add Eye Of Ugin for those of us who missed the one time Eldrazi won in ZvE!