What is the most pointless card in the game?

Options
TheHunter
TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
I just tried to build a deck around Transcendence and ended up dying every time, within one or two turns of putting it into play. Everything is wrong with the card - it's expensive to play at 20 mana, it creates a new win condition which I think is quite game-subverting (well, 'lose' condition as it can't help you win) and will kill you in a few turns. BUT it has nice artwork, is a mythic, and I wanted to give it a chance.

So I was wondering, what card/s do YOU think are pointless/useless/unplayably awful?

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Defence grid - In the mana cascade game that is MTGPQ, +5 mana is not worth the effort. And I have never encountered it in play.
    Pernicious Deed - a support that kills itself is not very practical.

BTW - had to look up Transcendence, since I do not have it. Is there a card that deal damage to you at end of each turn?
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Xucachris said:
    I just tried to build a deck around Transcendence and ended up dying every time, within one or two turns of putting it into play. Everything is wrong with the card - it's expensive to play at 20 mana, it creates a new win condition which I think is quite game-subverting (well, 'lose' condition as it can't help you win) and will kill you in a few turns. BUT it has nice artwork, is a mythic, and I wanted to give it a chance.

So I was wondering, what card/s do YOU think are pointless/useless/unplayably awful?
    I vote Solemnity as the most pointless card in the game
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd agree with these two cards ultimately, but would add in the dozens of still-glitched cards that still don't work as their intended. 

Building around a card only to have it completely fail you in the field because of a game error is worse in my opinion than a card that is useless but works as it reads.
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Can you use Transcedence in Role Reversal, or is that Standard only?
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can you use Transcedence in Role Reversal, or is that Standard only?
    I tried to give Greg that card. and would you believe it Greg wouldn't cast it he held.  It wasn't role reversal. But I suspect he hate that card as much as I do lol to answer your question it's not a standard card. 
  • TheHunter
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Xucachris said:

Lol yes @jtwood but did you notice who made the first comment? :-D
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I think discontinuity is a solid candidate for that spot too ... The design of this card IS completely absurd.
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options
    How does Discontinuity even work?  The text says, "Until end of turn, players can't activate Loyalty and Vanguard abilities.  Disable all cards in each player's hand and all the creatures on the battlefield until end of turn." 

I thought Flash cards in this game only triggered before an opponent's attack; am I wrong on that?  If that's the case, all it would ever be able to do is stop creatures from attacking.  How would it disable cards and stop Loyalty abilities?
  • Bil
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It IS precisely working like it should ... It IS able to end your own turn before YOU Can Do anything else ... But during oponents turn it IS merely uncastable (you Always miss 4 mana to cast it as a flash card) ... And if you could cast it it would be too late to see it work properly anyway... A bad design masterpiece.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Bil - I’m perfectly capable of casting discontinuity on a consistent basis, so I do not agree that it is useless. It is actually a powerful card on its own, but combined with the required cards to set it up, you can lock down an opponent efficiently.

@Firstofhisname419 - Flash requires that your opponent has a creature on the board before triggering. However, the attack will be suspended until the opponent has finished casting flash cards. That is why discontinuity works, it prevents your opponent from attacking but not casting stuff. We will have to see how the announced change to flash alters this, but so far discontinuity works just fine.

• TheHunter
    Options
    I'd like to add two more:

Depala - TWENTY SIX MANA!!!?? Am I missing something here?
    Fraying Sanity - again, 20 mana for a slightly better Jace's Sanctum which costs 9 mana.
  • jtwood
    Options
    Xucachris said:
    jtwood said:
    Xucachris said:

Lol yes @jtwood but did you notice who made the first comment? :-D
    haha nice I missed that 
  • jtwood
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    We will have to see how the announced change to flash alters this...
    Whoa did I miss something? Did they release details on this somewhere?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xucachris said:
    I'd like to add two more:

Depala - TWENTY SIX MANA!!!?? Am I missing something here?
    Fraying Sanity - again, 20 mana for a slightly better Jace's Sanctum which costs 9 mana.
    Fraying Sanity isn't that bad, actually.  I have a Tezz 1 lockdown deck that uses it quite effectively.  If I remember correctly it triggers slightly differently than the Sanctum, which sometimes makes it better.
  • Bil
    edited September 2020
    Options

Tremayne said:
    @Bil - I’m perfectly capable of casting discontinuity on a consistent basis, so I do not agree that it is useless. It is actually a powerful card on its own, but combined with the required cards to set it up, you can lock down an opponent efficiently.

You are technically able to cast it during your oponent turn with a significant setup  ... But you will cast it when your oponent already played cards and activated his diferent abilities ... Which means 50% of its effect is pointless by design. 

You still have the attack prevention effect ... But you Can get mostly that same effect by playing cheaper uncommons that require no setup at all in standard (frost breath 9 mana / frostveil ambush 6 mana) ... Not to mention legacy's "sleep" which IS waaaaay better.

I really see no reason to build around that card ... But i might be mistaken After all ...
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Options
    critman said:
    I've always been a big fan of this one:

The 'Activate' ability all but ensures that your first other creature is given haste before you actually play any creatures on your turn. Just stellar design work on this one.
    Ooh, I love these "w-t-f design" cards.  Especially since most are just different variations of "pointless flash", the ones that aren't are just that much funnier.
  • jtwood
    Options
    Why is that so bad? If you give Pro to a vigilant or defender creature at flash speed, it can use the effect.
    Is that a good card? No. It's a common. But it's not like the card doesn't work as designed.
  • jtwood
    Options
    critman said:
    I've always been a big fan of this one:

The 'Activate' ability all but ensures that your first other creature is given haste before you actually play any creatures on your turn. Just stellar design work on this one.
    haha I'd forgot this gem. You have to go outside of the normal flow of events for it to even have a chance of working. Extra swap. Or something that destroys gems after entering play.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I suppose nowadays there are enough interactions with exiled cards that Aven Mindcensor is no longer completely, utterly pointless, but it sure was when it was first released.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reliquary tower.... good lord. Best way to commit hari kiri in PQ if I've ever seen one.