A test of skill day two Polaris

qandols
qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
Has anyone won this horror node and in that case, what did you use? I tried R&G and failed miserably. All my specials vanished within a couple of moves while I tried to down the AP goon. Looked at Kitty, waaah 4k health. What happened? Only Mockingbird left who lays down a bobshell that downs Polaris. Sucks...

Comments

• Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I didn't have any problems with my lvl. 452 Kitty and lvl. 450 Beta Ray Bill. Had a good board at the beginnig with lots of blue and soon the board was filled with a dozen buffed protect tiles. And every time you match one of those you get two new protect tiles and more blue and green AP. At the end of the match Polaris' cheap stun was helpful to keep Riri on the ground and finally knock her down.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    I likewise use Kitty (370) and BRB (365). The enemy did manage to down Kitty earlier than I would have liked but by then she had done her job and the other 2 could survive what was being thrown at them to get the job done.
  • qandols
    edited September 2020
    Yes, I was thinking of using BRB. I will try that and hope for a not so nasty board. Thanks! Edit: Heh, what a difference. Despite AI trying its best to cascade me and throwin' BRB in the air they are whittled down.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I have used Kitty and C5rnage and it has been an utter blowout both times, so far. BRB would be my next attempt, bc he’s been great in the pvp so far (though dreadfully slow!). 

With C5rnage, you get +3 SAP of what you match from Polaris AND +1 attack for the same from Carnage; ie +4 specials for every special match. It’s almost not fair. 
    Actually, it’s definitely not fair. It’s overpowered. I’m enjoying it but it will have to be changed. Maybe it’ll be fine bc match-3 is rare, but for now — WOW!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I brought Okoye and a little team-up AP. Got a favorable board and a bunch more team-up AP, and then let Polaris chew everyone up with her passive. I lost Kitty somewhere in there, but oh well.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    I brought Okoye and a little team-up AP. Got a favorable board and a bunch more team-up AP, and then let Polaris chew everyone up with her passive. I lost Kitty somewhere in there, but oh well.
    Presumably, she’s got 8 more lives on deck...
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    No issue at all for me, which was a pleasant surprise 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rocket for my 4th.  Obviously, just match your own strikes, FTW.  

I swear, Polaris/Gritty is just cruel.  

Although, in Polaris PvP, Apoc/half-thor seems to work just as deadly.

Polaris is crazy.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    I have a champed Kitty, so with her and R4G it was easy. First time I've been able to say that about this node.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Won easily with L300 Kitty/ L305 Grocket as the Bot was dead on turn 3.
    You must have gotten a bad board or let them match the strikes. Feel free to match your own strikes before they do since you get more from doing it so Kitty always has something to buff and Polaris does a ton of damage every time you match a special.
    KGB
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Played it with a 1/1/1 kitty and a lvl 280 4* rocket & groot.  Beat it in 3 turns
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polaris is insane.  Just insane.  Probably should have been a 5*.
  • KGB

Her skill set would have made a great 5* Magneto which is one of the characters who most needs a 5* variant.
    KGB
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    qandols said:
    Has anyone won this horror node and in that case, what did you use? I tried R&G and failed miserably. All my specials vanished within a couple of moves while I tried to down the AP goon. Looked at Kitty, waaah 4k health. What happened? Only Mockingbird left who lays down a bobshell that downs Polaris. Sucks...
    Sounds like you are approaching it wrong.  if you are going to be playing R&G you should be targeting the stike tiles, not trying to keep them there.  She attacks and creates more when they are matched no matter who's they are.  Eventually your screen if full of them and you'll start cascading those strikes causing her to wipe them out fast
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is there any reason not to use valkyrie?  If you aren't running a high-level kitty, using valk and chasingthe bounty will generate lots of blue to use for stuns.  And who cares if thing makes protect tiles, you can just steal them with polaris. 
    and if you have a baby champ kitty, then I think you have even more options.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    360 kitty + 450 BRB and this has been the easiest time I have had in this node. Polaris is pretty amazing with these two.

KGB
    said:

Her skill set would have made a great 5* Magneto which is one of the characters who most needs a 5* variant.
    KGB
    I also agree Polaris should have been a 5, and yeah with this powerset she could have been a great 5* Magneto :(
  • KGB
    edited September 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    Is there any reason not to use valkyrie?  If you aren't running a high-level kitty, using valk and chasingthe bounty will generate lots of blue to use for stuns.  And who cares if thing makes protect tiles, you can just steal them with polaris. 
    and if you have a baby champ kitty, then I think you have even more options.

I re-did the Thing node with Valkrie after doing it with R&G. You most definitely can do it with her too since pretty much any match they make triggers Valkrie making her strikes due to their high match damage. Once that happens, Kitty and Polaris are off to the races and you win handily (or once you fire her blue and add 8 strikes).
    Polarity is so good because she teams with so many characters because of all the special tile creators in 4/5* land.
    But the original poster was asking about the Riri/Mockingbird/Bot node (which is always the harder of the 2) and for that I would only recommend R&G and matching his strikes whenever possible so the Bot is dead on turn 3/4.
    KGB
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I managed with a 5/1/1 lvl 270 Kitty and a champed Okoye. On day 3 I used Rocket and got it first time. If there are strike tiles it's double whammy with Polaris and Kitty. Glad to not have to resort to Whales.
  • qandols
    As I said I had a crazy bad board and was cascaded to death at move 5 or 6. Next time I tried it went well.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Polaris/ Okoye smoked everyone with no net damage taken . Use a tile generator of your choice in a 3 way.