Old School Favorite Teams

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
The thing about boss PvE events I like so much is the elimination of time pressure. I'm not on a clock to beat these nodes quickly in order to better my placement. This allows me to tap into some otherwise unused corners of my roster that may not be quick enough to consider in normal PvE, but can be highly effective.

For example, Wolverine is one of the side node required characters (just as he and Iron Man are in every boss event). I decided to go old school today and revisit a team of years gone by: XFW along with the 3-star versions of Magneto and Loki. The goons they were facing were over 100 levels higher than my max-champed Mags and Loki, and about 50 levels higher than my XFW. But I knew this team could cope. They are a crazy trio that cause max damage on the board, destroying tiles and triggering massive cascades. (if you want to try it, simply bank a cast of Magneto's red and about two casts of Loki's purple. Cast the red, then the purples, and let the chaos begin. XFW will work himself in with his green and black after that.) I hadn't played this team in a long, long time; it gave me such nostalgia that I had a grin from ear to ear.

This made me curious... do you have any old-school teams (from any star tier) you haven't played in a long time that you used to dominate with back in the day? Share your nostalgia.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    You picked the wrong old school wolvie IMO.

Cmags/Loki/patch was a workhorse for me in 3* land (back in 2014 and early 2015, so ymmv these days).  I also played patch with doom fairly often (can you tell that patch was my main tank when I broke in to 3* play?).
    I also always have a soft spot for 2* stormneto.  Way back when that was my go-to team for extremely hard pve nodes (even capped at 94 they could reliably take anything up to level 250 or so). I trot them out for ddq from time to time.
    Other old school teams that I haven't used recently:
    Fistbuster
    Jeanbuster
    If/3* cyclops
    OML + Medusa + 4* carol

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    My old school teams were:

1* and 2* Teams

1) 1* BW, 2* Magneto and 2* Wolverine/Daken. This team brought me many victories in SCL 4/5, and many hard nodes. I think I used this team to beat Ragnorok in Prologue.

2) 1* Juggernaut and 1* IM for PvPs. I remember rostering 2 max levelled 1* Juggernaut because his red was cheap and ends PvP matches fast. 

3* Teams

3) IM40, Human Torch and Dr Strange in PvEs. This was my rainbow team for wave nodes. I always have about 3 repeaters out. 

4) Patch, Dr Strange and Hawkeye. My go-to team for goons nodes. Hawkeye feeds purple and blue while Patch puts heavy strike tiles and enemy strike tiles in purple tiles, which benefit Hawkeye when matched. Hawkeye will also help to boost damage with his purple power and I'll always try to match away his countdown tile. Meanwhile, Dr Strange's Flame damage get boosted by both Patch's and Hawkeye's strike tiles

4* Teams
    1) America Chavez and Ghost. PvP matches end quickly because Ghost hits like a 5*. I will switch the build when I need to heal Ghost.

2) Valkyrie and C4rol. When I was still new in 4* land (fewer than 10 4* champed), they were my MVP for PvPs. Because my team strongest colour is almost always the essential 3*'s and my opponents have the same strongest colour as mine most of the time, letting my opponents match that colour means that I'm always hitting 8 ap of that colour quickly. C4rol's passive AoE helps to trigger Valkyrie's CD more quickly.

Nowadays, PvEs is largely R4G/GotG /Juggernaut, while I have more varieties in PvPs. One of these days I will jump into SCL 10 again to take a break from competitive PvEs.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still enjoy taking 4* Carol, Medusa & Wasp out for a spin from time to time.  That team's brief appearance in the meta was probably the only time in the game's history that I actually had the meta team rostered and usable.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    My favourite 2* team back in the old DDQ days was MBW / Magneto / Storm, for the 4-wave node.

Purple to either steal AP (MBW) or place some strategic blue tiles (Mags),
    Blue for stun+AOE (Storm). Although in a pinch, MBW blue for heal or countdown increase.
    Red for Mags's nuke
    Green for AP collection/board shake (Storm)

No actvives on yellow or black, but MBW tanks black, adding damage with her passive. And you were usually in complete control, if there weren't too many tile movers on the enemy teams.

In 3* land, for a long time my bread and butter was GSBW + IM40 + Steve Rogers. Yellow IM feeds AP to the other's powers, purple BW sets up match-4 and 5s and collects green for her huge AOE+board destruction. And red+blue for Steve's shields, stunning left and right and overwriting enemy tiles for great justice.

• Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2020
    I miss my old go to team of  Iceman, Peggy, and IM40. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rogue/SWitch/Teen Jean got me through some tough times during transition.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    SWitch/Teen Jean/Coulson
    IM40/3* Widow/Thoress
    Wasp/3*Falcon/4* Luke
    Medusa/4* Carnage/Kraven or Nico
    Those are my old school teams.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    IM40/She-Hulk/Kamala - all 3-stars with good synergies. Healing all the time with cheap powers from IM's yellow and She-Hulk's green. Board shake from She-Hulk's red and of course the funniest part against Galactus is She-Hulk's green AP steal. From 27 AP to zero just with 6 green:-)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    My mainstay team during my 4* transition was Medusa/Wasp/3* Falcon. Loved that team.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,760 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually miss using 2*/3* Cap and trying to override all the CD tiles. OBW and 2*/3* Thor made for a nice rainbow team against goons and even though it took an awful long time, I am a bit nostalgic for it.
    Same for 3* Hulk, 3* Storm and KK, so slow, but so satisfying when the green AP started flowing.
    C4rol was my first champed 4* so I used C&D and 3* Iron Fist to get as much black and yellow as possible against bosses or other tough foes.
    And then I went to 5* land and all of those went on the scrap heap...
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scarlett witch,  iron fist, hulk buster. 
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    I used this team a lot when I transitioned from 3* to 4* tier.

Back in my 4* days one of my favourite Sim teams was Iceman, Medusa & Carnage.
  • Akroma
    Akroma Posts: 77 Match Maker
    at 3* im40 + kamala + magneto for speed (maybe yellow ap boost)
    iron fist + swtich + luke cage for saving health packs

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I used to use IM40, Kamala and Cap when I was in 3* land. Once the train starts rolling it’s hard to stop with stuns, single target, board control, healing, a battery and aoe none of which overlap. 
    I then moved to IM40, rulk and Peggy when I transitioned to 4*s. Similar story with stuns, ap suppression, battery, aoe just without the heals. 
    Both good teams with plenty of sustain as long as the starting conditions are favourable. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    For me, it was Iceman, Peggy, and Vulture. Finished every Sim with that team for many, many months.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Hulkbombing (3* Hulk/Patch) is one of my favorite memories from the game. 3* CM/Cyclops carried me in 3-land. Both those teams quite deadly. My first 4* team was DP/XFW, right after XFW nerf. An exciting team because it was a little slow, but if you pulled off DP purple into XFW black it was all over.

My last 4* team was Red Hulk/Cyclops. They went into the game right after Surfer, and were probably the meta team with the shortest reign, 1 1/2 seasons, before OML took over. RH/Cyc was an overwhelming force initially. My alliance, XMen, was one of the earliest adopters of cupcakes, and despite 5s already being released at the time, the reason we opened Bakeshop and started widespread cupcaking was because Red Hulk/Cyclops couldn’t be reliably beat, and was basically worthless as a queue.
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Maybe not all old school, but certainly nostalgic to me:
    I used to play Chavez + boosted 5*, or Chavez + Doc Strange in pve in the days before Juggs and Grocket.

teams I still like to recommend to lower lvl players in boss events:
    2* BW, 3* Iron Man, 3* Hawkeye (got many of them through Galactus round 8)
    Charlie’s Angels (4* PX, Switch and 3*BW)
    Hulkfinite (3* Hulk, 3* KK, 3* Storm)

my favourite 4* teams that I still get to use in the right, non speed circumstances ( as Ai am a 4* player):

Purple Rain (Nightcrawler + Scarlet Witch + x) preferably both boosted...
    Shuri + Black Panther + Magik
    Human Torch 4* + Okoye + 2099 ( I used that one in the DPD enchilada wave just for fun)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    itsuka7 said:
    Maybe not all old school, but certainly nostalgic to me:
    I used to play Chavez + boosted 5*, or Chavez + Doc Strange in pve in the days before Juggs and Grocket.

teams I still like to recommend to lower lvl players in boss events:
    2* BW, 3* Iron Man, 3* Hawkeye (got many of them through Galactus round 8)
    Charlie’s Angels (4* PX, Switch and 3*BW)
    Hulkfinite (3* Hulk, 3* KK, 3* Storm)

my favourite 4* teams that I still get to use in the right, non speed circumstances ( as Ai am a 4* player):

Purple Rain (Nightcrawler + Scarlet Witch + x) preferably both boosted...
    Shuri + Black Panther + Magik
    Human Torch 4* + Okoye + 2099 ( I used that one in the DPD enchilada wave just for fun)
    Variation on Purple Rain I used to like:
    Nightcrawler/Domino/4* Professor X with a 2* destroyer gun to make Purple the strongest color. That way you'd have primarily black on the board from domino, increasing Nightcrawler's match 5 reliability, and then Professor X would earn purple even if the matches themselves weren't purple. Domino hit's pretty hard on red as well.

I also used to love Shuri/P4nther/Main Event - if you can get Gamma Powerbomb off, and have enough empty fortifications on the board, you'll be double dipping some ultra damage (pre-Killmonger)
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't remember all the details of it, as it's been THAT long...  but those of you in the know, will get it.

I used to love using 2* Hawkeye and 3* Hulk, back when Hawkeye had DODGE.  

Make a match to put him in front (make sure you chose Hulk to sit behind Hawkeye in the lineup), and just wait for HE to get targeted.  Oops!  You accidentally hit Hulk instead of Hawkeye... again!  and again!  ... so many retaliations and cascades...

Now, I'm waiting for them to revisit that Dodge ability as a passive on a 5*.  When they released Nightcrawler, I thought he was a good pick for it... but nope.  

Of course, if this happens, the shenanigans will be some much more ruthless than just 2* HE and 3* Hulk.... 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    C4rol, W4sp, R4G