CL10 sinister carnage medusa CN - help please

Steve111
Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
Please share your strategies for defeating this node, apart from whales. I’m a 5* player but I find it a nightmare, especially as we are forced to play cl10 because of recent changes to the points structure. 

Comments

• gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    What’s wrong with whales?
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't select CL10, then you don't have to fight them. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,728 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gamora/Coulson/5HE

Boost blue and yellow. 

Use Wong on someone (Gamora works), Kimoyo Beads on HE, Korg on Coulson (free yellow to fire his Cavalry). 
    Hope you can get enough blue immediately to stun Sinister and whoever else Gamora hits. Go from there. Wong is crucial for taking out enemy Attack tiles and avoiding dying from that whittling you away. 
  • SolidusMox
    SolidusMox Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I used WorthyCap, Coulson, and 5HE. It took a bit of luck to start as I need to remove an attack tile right away. My HE is at 8 covers and Worthy is only 293. It was excruciatingly slow.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    This node is ridiculous. Barely managed a single clear, wiped most of my roster. Can’t get anyone to survive long enough to get whales off.

All other nodes were thankfully no problem, so I guess I’ll just skip it.

Edit: So, Hulkoye/Vulture works.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    Throw your phone out the window. They can't hurt you, anymore.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brb, kitty, medusa works for me.  Slow,  but it gets the job done. 
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    Always get a kick out of your comments  :D

To OP: if you have iHulk, Vulture, meatshield (or Karolina Dean, another flier), and +2-4 black ap. Alter iHulk build to 3/5/5 for maximum match damage. Keep Vulture/Karolina afloat by matching their respect fly colors and smash. Enjoy!
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Glockoma said:
    Borstock said:

To OP: if you have iHulk, Vulture, meatshield (or Karolina Dean, another flier), and +2-4 black ap. Alter iHulk build to 3/5/5 for maximum match damage. Keep Vulture/Karolina afloat by matching their respect fly colors and smash. Enjoy!
    Domino for the 3rd.  Extra black from the top, plus you'll usually get to fire her green once from.vulture being airborne.   If you can get 10-15 black AP before she dies, you might just be OK
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    Glockoma said:
    Borstock said:

Domino for the 3rd.  Extra black from the top, plus you'll usually get to fire her green once from.vulture being airborne.   If you can get 10-15 black AP before she dies, you might just be OK
    That’s a great one. Sometimes I used 5* doom or even Cloak and Dagger to generate my black. But yes, that is the principle. And if you can get in the double digits when casting Vulture to the sky for the first or second time, your chances of success are really high!
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...I need a better iHulk.  Mines only 5 covers... never got lucky with his pulls.  

But I do like the idea.

Instead, it was 3x Whales for me!  And even THEN... it was hard to get the AP in time!  I feel silly for saying this, but I had to think about how I was gonna do it.  

First off, I used 5* Carnage, Medusa, 3* Deadpool for the first two clears.  Worked pretty well, since so many enemy tiles were out there, as well as friendly, that Medusa helped to generate purple AND keep a little bit of health rolling in for Carnage to tank with.  Also, double moves helped to rake in the purple.

On my 3rd (read: final) clear, I realized I had a DP Whales team up.  So, I used that.  Okoye/Carnage/ProfX... mainly just for double moves, TU AP generation, and extra damage soaking.

Seriously... this is MY most difficult node.  I'm never ready for it, and I'd rather fight the Royal Family node, or any OTHER node.  This Sinister one is... well, sinister.  ;)
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    I missed the third clear, leaving only Sinister with 236 health. When that turn started I had 18k health on my IHulk and enough red to down him even if a single match wouldn’t do it. 

What happens? Sinister gets a major cascade and triggers one of his traps. I should add that before this I had killed both the other toons with my entire team intact and Sinister managed to kill the other two as well with “lucky” cascades and traps. Sometimes it really feels like there is a mechanic built in. For instance when I have three characters left, how would the AI know it is going to win on this turn and not let me retreat, when winning requires a major cascade with a match 5 into another turn with abilities being fired off. Of course it’s speculation and confirmation bias, etc...but it’s starting to seem like there is something else underneath. 

Similar to how a slot machine is rigged to keep people coming back but disperse only enough winnings that the house always stays on top. No “luck” involved. Take Vulture and the board is starved of black, take Okoye it is starved of TU, not once but many, many times. After a while it starts looking like some patterns developing. 

Don’t even get me started on match 4 or 5 when the character who relies on it is on board. That one I can’t be convinced otherwise, short of seeing the code myself.

Sorry for the little rant, but a challenge should be a real challenge because of a fair fight, not rigged mechanics. I already know 10 people will jump on this so I’ll state this is my opinion and I make no claims of it being factual.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Joshua: The only winning move is not to play.

• SolidusMox
    SolidusMox Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I recommend taking Sinister out 1st. He stole my black towards the end of the match...I now take him out 1st and have cleared 5 times. I will try for a 6th clear in a bit. Not optimal but just want the clears.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    I am still waiting for that pass they mentioned after cl10 release where they would look at the performance and difficulty of each node and equalize it a little bit. This event in general it is bonkers, too difficult compared to others (it has always been harder but in scl10 it is stupidly hard). I try to never play this one in scl10
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got clear one done with Okoye/Apocalypse/Thor, but haven’t really found my subsequent clear teams yet lol
  • bluewolf
    They DID make this run of Simulator a lot easier than the last run.  No Worthy or Bishop node so far.

The CNs remain the same, but that's not surprising.  CNs are supposed to be hard...maybe they could be adjusted but the devs always said they were completely extra as far as points towards progression and players hitting/grinding CNs are just chasing placement. (or possibly making up for missing a 5E or something).

So, it's not surprising when they are hard to complete. No one will miss progression, or even the node rewards all that much, if you literally can't do them at all
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am in the second sub now and it definitely felt a little easier than last time around.  Challenge node was the same (prof x, ice, havok) and punishes you harshly for any enemy cascades, but they can be stunlocked with careful play.  The 5e was different, my first time facing apoc in high-end pve, along with wolfsbane and cable (the former is noticeably more threatening).   The final hard node (not the 1-off iso node) is also a bit risky for me, though I am not sure if that's because I never remember what th4nos does and thus get flat-footed by his aoe, or if he is actually a bit dangerous.
    All in all, still challenging but not as hard as sub 1 or the the worst subs in cosmic chaos.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Th4nos is definitely more dangerous than he looked at launch. He removes a special if there are 3 or more and adds green to the board, then his finger snap destroys 50% of the board and does damage for SAPs that get hit, which can be quite a lot. His black is kind of a variant on Ronin's where it does extra damage to other "hero" affiliated team members you have
  • bluewolf
    Th4nos is definitely more dangerous than he looked at launch. He removes a special if there are 3 or more and adds green to the board, then his finger snap destroys 50% of the board and does damage for SAPs that get hit, which can be quite a lot. His black is kind of a variant on Ronin's where it does extra damage to other "hero" affiliated team members you have
    I'm not sure which SCL you went with, but many characters who are leveled high enough become threatening.  In SCL10 Thanos is level 570, which gives him plenty of time to gather the 9 and 12 AP needed to do his thing.

I agree he was a little tricky - you want to deny his black - but in general, most of the ones you experience in game (PVP) are nothing to worry about.