Basilica level 520 Venom node

Options
qandols
qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
How do you tackle it? I have a hard time thinking up a good counter. Even if I do my best to deny yellow he gets it and whammo.
Edit: Without resorting to whales, I do not have any. I guess I could ask for a team-up.

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    How many times have you  tried, and with which of your 5-stars?

I tried Mister Sinister (LVL 450) against my Venom (LVL 513, with 107K health) I used Sinister to beat Sandman (about 96K health) in the previous 1v1 node.  It didn't work, but that was partially because I received 4 Blue AP total.  My next lowest number of AP was Team Ups with 11.  On the bright side, I did have 15 yellow, in addition to Venom being able to activate his yellow twice.  Sometimes, the board is good to you.  Othertimes...not so much.

This node (1v1 against a character way higher than any on your roster) is one of the few times I'd say there's an actual "Puzzle" to Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Edit - Just finished it with Miles Morales (LVL 407, at 5/5/3, although I should have changed him to 5/4/4 since you don't need the blue AP you get from his yellow at LVL 5)  Bring along +2 Purple AP, +2 All AP, go invisible as quickly as you can, and then just hoard the purple.  Don't cast Surprise! unless you have enough purple to go invisible gain, and there's not an obvious Purple match on the board.

Venom will still cast Symbiotic Fury, and it will destroy a random tile due to your invisibility tile.  Fortunately, it won't damage you because it's not AoE.  He won't cast Lethal protector, though.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I tried Miles on Sandman. He might be invisible there, but he still got hit hard by Sandman's red (I think, maybe green). Match over.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    I tried Miles on Sandman. He might be invisible there, but he still got hit hard by Sandman's red (I think, maybe green). Match over.
    Sandman's Green hits the entire team, which Invisibility doesn't negate.  Venom's abilities are both targeting a single individual, which Invisibility does prevent.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Previously, SMIW was the MVP. I'm not sure if it holds true for you. Deny green and even if he fires his yellow power, you are still taking 1 damage.
  • qandols
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Tried Kitty and tried Thor, no luck. It's just instakill after a couple of moves. Boring and trite stuff. Who is SMIW? My Miles is just level 317, I will try him too. Edit: Oh, he is boosted of course.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    boosted imhb got him on the first try
  • qandols
    Options
    Yes, I managed with my Miles. Followed the above recipe and was lucky with purple. Could hit him with red several times and two Surprise! and down he went. Thanks for a very good advice!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Previously, SMIW was the MVP. I'm not sure if it holds true for you. Deny green and even if he fires his yellow power, you are still taking 1 damage.
    I wasn't sure if that would work, but I managed to pull it off just before my Spidey died (saved up enough red for two hits).  The web tiles kept being eaten up, but a win is a win.

Doom might work (I used him earlier) thanks to his healing.

I will see how it goes (I'm close to being done with progression) but I still think these nodes are not terribly well designed if your best option for a 5* player is often to run a character that is hiding in the corner, invisible.

I'll see what happens next refresh, last year I gave up early but there are better 1v1 5s in the game now.  BRB might be an option although not against Venom......
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Apocalypse. 
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I used 5* Black Panther this time. Got 11 team up AP once and cast his black once. It was a decently lucky board and I had to be strategic about denying yellow, but it wasn't too bad.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Mine was 412. After a few tries, i ended up with 272 Black Widow and kept her invisible. Long battle but worked.
  • qandols
    Options
    SMIW = Spider Man Infinity War of course (I had Invisible Woman in my thoughts). I was considering him as well.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do you have apacolypse? I've won all of the 1 vs 1 nodes no problem with him. Use a plus red/yellow ap boost. 
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Legion is an excellent dueler.  Turn him invisible and sap the enemy's nuke colors
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The free protects Venom gives you is a plus for Apoc.
  • qandols
    Options
    Do you have apacolypse? I've won all of the 1 vs 1 nodes no problem with him. Use a plus red/yellow ap boost. 
    Yes, but only at 2/0/3. I didn't think it was any idea to try that. But last event he was boosted and with Kitty/BRB he was amazing.
  • qandols
    Options
    dkffiv said:
    Legion is an excellent dueler.  Turn him invisible and sap the enemy's nuke colors
    Had I had Legion champed I might have tried that, I like the guy a lot  :)
  • Ramsey
    Ramsey Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Miles worked like a charm.  Double boosts meant I only needed one purple match to go invisible.  Used my level 4 Chimichanga support which provided extra purple and red AP on matches and also fortified his invisible node which was clutch.  Only took match damage on first turn and then whittled him down.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did it with Iceman even though he is stun immune. It was close though; I nearly wiped. 
  • SolidusMox
    SolidusMox Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've had great success using Yelena on all of these 1v1 boss fights. 5,5,3 And the enemy never fired off a power.