Welcome to Shield. Remind me why we're not supposed to be able to finish?

Options
2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2020 so far (MPQ or not):

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ugh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Star-Lord is the big problem this time. Not managed to beat this yet with any of the usual suspects.
    i was having a lot of trouble too.  This is what worked for me.  I used Vulture as the third.  My instinct was to use misty's blue to hit as hard as possible with her green, but that was a bad move.  i didn't use anything other than Vulture's black until Vulture's blue was ready, then I hit as many times as I could with Misty's green then took off again with vulture.  His blue goes off and removes all of star lord's countdowns.  Keep repeating and target Thing, then Mordo, then Star Lord.  It worked even though Vulture was the only one left at the end.  This strategy neutralizes Star Lord completely except for his red.
    This works to a certain degree with me. I have downed Thing and Mordo, and Misty/GG are down too. Then it's One Fell Swoop and Circling Prey on repeat. But somewhere down the line I run out of black to go airborne. And SL has 30 red waiting for that chance.
  • nordhofsweden
    nordhofsweden Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Ugh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Star-Lord is the big problem this time. Not managed to beat this yet with any of the usual suspects.
    i was having a lot of trouble too.  This is what worked for me.  I used Vulture as the third.  My instinct was to use misty's blue to hit as hard as possible with her green, but that was a bad move.  i didn't use anything other than Vulture's black until Vulture's blue was ready, then I hit as many times as I could with Misty's green then took off again with vulture.  His blue goes off and removes all of star lord's countdowns.  Keep repeating and target Thing, then Mordo, then Star Lord.  It worked even though Vulture was the only one left at the end.  This strategy neutralizes Star Lord completely except for his red.
    This works to a certain degree with me. I have downed Thing and Mordo, and Misty/GG are down too. Then it's One Fell Swoop and Circling Prey on repeat. But somewhere down the line I run out of black to go airborne. And SL has 30 red waiting for that chance.
    I saved Mordo until last. He'll use two of his powers while you're airborne and he'll create black charged tiles, which might be useful.
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Ugh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I saved Mordo until last. He'll use two of his powers while you're airborne and he'll create black charged tiles, which might be useful.
    I started doing that but he always managed to have his powers ready to go when I didn't have the blacks to take off.  This is a good idea though especially if you have other characters still in the fight to match those charged tiles
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If anyone has Yelena champed (mine is just 450), I beat both hard nodes really easily (first try) with her as third. Easy to manage their mega nukes with her swapping and sapping AP. 
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 94 Match Maker
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Also, if you’re lucky enough to have champed Apocalypse, he works very well as a 3rd. At least he did for me after wiping several times.

edit: wiping with other characters i meant.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    While I have yet to be able to play any 5* nodes without a loaner, this is the first time so far that I simply cannot complete the last 4* node. That node is just obnoxious for budding 4* rosters.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    While I have yet to be able to play any 5* nodes without a loaner, this is the first time so far that I simply cannot complete the last 4* node. That node is just obnoxious for budding 4* rosters.
    Yes, Peggy is an obnoxious choice for a character like misty that relies on spamming cheap powers. Since you have to bring shuri, how is your tron bp?  That pairing is nasty if you can get BP's yellow out.
    (Edit: I tried shuri/bp once without boosting, had terrible boardluck getting 11 yellow, and was super close to victory, losing only when a lucky cascade gave the ai enough blue to stun shuri. Which then let them cast red to kill my bp. I was just about to drop Peggy with match damage and use my nukes on AV.  So I think this strat is viable, if not guaranteed.)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Take America Chavez with AP boost along. She's going to make it a cakewalk. Target Deadpool first, followed by Peggy.

If not, Spider-Gwen works too. 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Unfortunately, my Chavez, Spider-Gwen and BP are all way under covered. Same goes for C4ge. I still have about a month before I will get any real traction on my 4* roster, but as I am new to it, a lot of the focus will be going to G4mora, Grocket & Chavez. Hopefully, I can champ all 3 (I know Grocket will get there & I have fairly good odds of getting G4mora there). It doesn’t help that Shuri doesn’t have a lot of covers either. Fortunately, I think I’m only missing out on 25 shards for Misty who may have some interesting mechanics with a full 4* roster, but generally doesn’t impress me.
    Still, seems like you have to be fairly solid in 4* land to find good synergy with the featured character with a champed 4e and a champed 3rd in order to take this one. Even then, this team still sucks to fight.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Because getting a trophy just for participating is stupid and personally degrading . It would be like having a thousand -way tie for first place in an event and everyone got the same reward regardless of ability to play .
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I tried Vulture quite a few times and just couldn't manage it, I would always either run out of black or start with a black starved board. In the end I hate to resort to Whales (shamefaced :( ) Bad MPQ player...
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I tried Vulture quite a few times and just couldn't manage it, I would always either run out of black or start with a black starved board. In the end I hate to resort to Whales (shamefaced :( ) Bad MPQ player...
    It happens to all of us sometimes....nothing to be ashamed of.....
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    Unfortunately, my Chavez, Spider-Gwen and BP are all way under covered. Same goes for C4ge. I still have about a month before I will get any real traction on my 4* roster, but as I am new to it, a lot of the focus will be going to G4mora, Grocket & Chavez. Hopefully, I can champ all 3 (I know Grocket will get there & I have fairly good odds of getting G4mora there). It doesn’t help that Shuri doesn’t have a lot of covers either. Fortunately, I think I’m only missing out on 25 shards for Misty who may have some interesting mechanics with a full 4* roster, but generally doesn’t impress me.
    Still, seems like you have to be fairly solid in 4* land to find good synergy with the featured character with a champed 4e and a champed 3rd in order to take this one. Even then, this team still sucks to fight.

yeah, with very high-level pick1 nodes, you really do need to have a deep roster because (i) picking the right synergies is basically the only way to fight overleveled opponents, and (ii) the game is already picking 2/3 of your synergy, so the viable options for the third slot will be drastically limited.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I wasn't able to beat the 4* node either (Peggy/Deadpool etc) with Vulture or anyone else I tried on my L300 roster.
    But luckily the 5* node was a cakewalk by comparison with Valkyrie (won on 1st try with a 1/1/1 L255 Goblin) putting her strikes on Yellow to prevent Starlord and Thing from doing their things. You just need to beat the 5* node to get access to the Wave node the following day. More importantly, you finish Shield Training and get all the rewards without ever needing to beat the Peggy/Deadpool node.
    KGB