Welcome to Shield. Remind me why we're not supposed to be able to finish?

RentedPanda
RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
I seem to recall when this rolled out it was acknowledged that it was supposed to be challenging and not all players would be able to finish.  Am I right?  If so, was there a reason why?  I enjoy the more inclusive "Introducing" events and wonder why Welcome needs to be hard, now that rewards have been reduced.  I was able to complete previous largely due to invis-using characters, but struggled today.  I could have quit - I get that I don't miss out on much if I do, but I still want to finish (if I was not a completionist to a stupid degree, I probably would have stopped playing long ago).  Was it ever explained why was it set at a CL10 type difficulty?   I mean, I don't have a huge problem trading Whales,  bonus TU AP, and health packs for the ability to continue and the rewards (iso and cp, some shards), but just pondering the rationale. Happy playing!

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not every roster can complete every event. I know that is the most simplistic response.

It is what it is, just keep getting your roster stronger.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    WtS is some of my favorite content to date.
    Super challenging, and I really feel like I accomplished something when beating it with a low-level roster.

I don't play SCL10 yet, since I don't want all the repetition and huge time investment, and WtS gives me a bite-size taste of what it's like at that higher level.

The combination of having the easy "Introduction" event, and limited reward loss (except the LT at the top), feels like a suitable tradeoff. And easier requirements in general to reach full completion, compared to the old ST, which I was never able to complete even once (and have done all three of the WtS so far).

Beating the day two node is a matter of neutralizing or downing the goon ASAP.
    I won on my second attempt with Valkyrie, and a 3* Yaro Root (53% chance of +5 green AP), a +2 green AP boost, +1 all, and an MBW sting TU.

If Yaro procs, you can hit the goon immediately with Misty green.
    It didn't happen in my case, and I got lucky that the AI chose to fire the goon's green, instead of waiting for Riri.
    But in general, Bounty and green matches fuel Misty's green, and careful denial of AP can help survive.
    I used the TU on Mockingbird when she had enough purple to steal my green, and no one ever got below about 80% health.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Interesting, maybe I just need to think more strategically instead of relying on teamups.  Or maybe I had unlucky boards, as Riri was downing characters very quickly
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    I seem to recall when this rolled out it was acknowledged that it was supposed to be challenging and not all players would be able to finish.  Am I right?  If so, was there a reason why?  I enjoy the more inclusive "Introducing" events and wonder why Welcome needs to be hard, now that rewards have been reduced.  I was able to complete previous largely due to invis-using characters, but struggled today.  I could have quit - I get that I don't miss out on much if I do, but I still want to finish (if I was not a completionist to a stupid degree, I probably would have stopped playing long ago).  Was it ever explained why was it set at a CL10 type difficulty?   I mean, I don't have a huge problem trading Whales,  bonus TU AP, and health packs for the ability to continue and the rewards (iso and cp, some shards), but just pondering the rationale. Happy playing!

reduced or not, the 'welcome to shield' rewards are still firmly in the category that demi considers 'extremely high value) (i.e., LTs and CPs).  Demi is still quite restrictive with these rewards, and tends not give them away to any player/roster willing to spend 10 minutes with the game (in contrast to the 15 shards available in 'introducing' which ARE treated as trivial).

I continue to think that the pick-1 system in the 5e nodes is a bit frustrating (mostly from the resource consumption stand point. experimental, trial-and-error gameplay is especially punishing in MPQ).  But i don't actually have a problem with very challenging content per se.  And as a mid-tier vet who has just about every character, but doesn't champ every 4* and 5* within hours of their entry to the LT pool, I have found that welcome to shield is an improvement over the shield training system in almost all respects.  I get some one-off, challengning content, I get a much better feel for the new character, and end up getting all the rewards (whereas before I just about never got through the entire bottom row of 1v1 nodes for the LT).  I wish 'welcome to shield' was available for 5* releases too!
    (also, after going through several of these now, it seems pretty clear that the challenging 5e nodes are all boiling down to 'who is the best 3* or 4* to fuel the new character?'  If the new release boosts tiles well, use valkyrie.  If not, just use the best battery for whatever color(s) the new release uses for a nuke. and target the doombot first!)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Bishop, 4* Prof X, Valkyrie are guaranteed to do the job. If you are feeling adventurous, you can try other playstyles.

Things to take note: they changed enemy TU from Ares's Onslaught to Squirrel Girl's The Bigger They Are that ends their turn. So, you might want to take advantage of this.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I don't play SCL10 yet, since I don't want all the repetition and huge time investment, and WtS gives me a bite-size taste of what it's like at that higher level.
    As a long-time player of SCL 10, I can tell you--while there are a few nodes that are as bad as the Riri/Mockingbird/Decoy node in WtS (e.g. The Royal Family, GED + 2 Doom Bots feeding Black), none of them are needed to get full progression, unlike in WtS, where you can't get the top prize without clearing it.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    I actually enjoy welcome to shield now compared to the straight up paywall or luck base it use to be.

Also enjoy getting a feel for the new character
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    These nodes are quite frustrating in a lot of ways, but usually there is a way.

I have always thought though that using a goon with normal chars is basically cheating (or an artificial way of raising the difficulty), and in this case (the one with the doombot and riri) it was particularly frustrating as Riri was getting green AP to send someone Airbone but then the doombot was also stunning someone (so two chars locked), so it was particularly frustrating (and as someone said, dealing with the bot fast was mandatory to beat the node).

I have a champed GG and even then I needed like 5-6 tries until I could get a decent board and found a decent partner for the team.

I think at the very least, to allow more experimentation, these events should not consume health packs.

PS: One thing I always forget as I am a 5 player and I usually dont look too much to 4 chars (except the broken ones of course), is that the featured 4 is super important to beat the node.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Interesting, maybe I just need to think more strategically instead of relying on teamups.  Or maybe I had unlucky boards, as Riri was downing characters very quickly
    Yep this node is tricky, as it's the goon that's feeding RiRi green. Cut that supply off and it's not as hard
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Having to resort to using a Whales TU is a flaw in the game in my opinion. Surely, some fights are tougher than others and you might not get to win every time. But if people with a very well-developed roster (ie champed 5*) struggle and need Whales I think there is something wrong.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Some of my alliance mates with modest roosters have been doing them using characters that can be invisible. Prof4 is good because he will boost Misty’s tiles. Just thought this might help
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Wonko33 said:
    Some of my alliance mates with modest roosters have been doing them using characters that can be invisible. Prof4 is good because he will boost Misty’s tiles. Just thought this might help
    This inspired to me try Vulture -- Because what's better than invisible? Airborne. With my sad undercovered Green Goblin tanking black and Vulture's black feeding ultraboosted Misty's blue and green, it worked on the first try.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,571 Chairperson of the Boards
    I managed it with Valkyrie but she is a decent 307 level. My Gobby is 2/2 in black and purple and lvl 255 so he wasn't looking to be too much help but to my surprise he actually survived to the end with Valk. 
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vulture's definitely done a lot of the heavy lifting for me, so far, although I don't have Goblin so my progress would always be limited.

My biggest problem with this event is that with the enemies fixed and some of the nodes being very challenging, it can be a horrible showcase of the new character's potential.   Granted, they always have the "Introducing" event to do that, but I think it's a flaw in the event itself when playing it makes me less interested in the new character because the "Pick 1" format really sells them short at times.  Even Shuri/Misty who should theoretically have some decent synergy really get undervalued by putting them against the Day 1 team with the Ultron bot who limits the ability to keep fortified tiles around and on Day 2 against a purple-fed SWitch.  Are these nodes unbeatable? Absolutely not, but it's not the new character who shines, which kind of defeats the point IMHO...
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 said:
    This inspired to me try Vulture -- Because what's better than invisible? Airborne. With my sad undercovered Green Goblin tanking black and Vulture's black feeding ultraboosted Misty's blue and green, it worked on the first try.
    I tried and failed miserably. Going airborne triggers SL's Everyone With Me, then all enemy powers are a lot cheaper and all of those pack an enormous punch. How do you get Misty to survive long enough?
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but from a pure resource utilization standpoint, absolute worst case scenario, Welcome To SHIELD would use 30 days worth of accumulated Deadpool points and is offered every 28 days.

So any WTS where you can clear any one of the three Column 4 nodes without whaling means you’ll be able to keep pace.
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 82 Match Maker
    I'd rather have a very difficult event than one that I am always locked out of.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,571 Chairperson of the Boards
    Star-Lord is the big problem this time. Not managed to beat this yet with any of the usual suspects.
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 82 Match Maker
    DAZ0273 said:
    Star-Lord is the big problem this time. Not managed to beat this yet with any of the usual suspects.
    i was having a lot of trouble too.  This is what worked for me.  I used Vulture as the third.  My instinct was to use misty's blue to hit as hard as possible with her green, but that was a bad move.  i didn't use anything other than Vulture's black until Vulture's blue was ready, then I hit as many times as I could with Misty's green then took off again with vulture.  His blue goes off and removes all of star lord's countdowns.  Keep repeating and target Thing, then Mordo, then Star Lord.  It worked even though Vulture was the only one left at the end.  This strategy neutralizes Star Lord completely except for his red.