Marvel Puzzle Quest Sneak Peek: July, 2020 (Updated 7/28/20)

Options

Comments

• ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Glad to see Apocalypse being featured again soon to get those shards we missed! 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are Meet Rocket & Groot and Webbed Wonder correct? We would normally have a Classic 5 where Apocalypse shows up, and then we should have an entirely different character where Iron Man shows up. Based on notes going back to September 2017, those two should be Silver Surfer and Wasp, respectively, and we shouldn't even see Iron Man again until maybe October of this year.

(for the record, I don't care if the pattern is changing, but it's exhausting when you change things like this and don't talk to us about it)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Are Meet Rocket & Groot and Webbed Wonder correct? We would normally have a Classic 5 where Apocalypse shows up, and then we should have an entirely different character where Iron Man shows up. Based on notes going back to September 2017, those two should be Silver Surfer and Wasp, respectively, and we shouldn't even see Iron Man again until maybe October of this year.

(for the record, I don't care if the pattern is changing, but it's exhausting when you change things like this and don't talk to us about it)
    Having Apocalypse show up again means we get his shards, which makes up for missing them when Killmonger overwrote them.  So if people are looking for those, that should make them happy.  But yeah, it should be a Classic.  

Iron Man is early/off schedule....not sure if there is some theme they are going for.  Kind of strange, I have no rationale for it right now.

Usually it seems like there is some reason when things change though, and there's not an obvious reason to make a major change from the pattern they've been following.  Maybe a comic tie-in or something.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would be nice if 5e releases didn't count in the 3 Latest 2 Classic rotation. We missed some Apocalypse shards for Killmonger's release, so running him again this soon so we don't miss any of his shards isn't a bad idea. It's something people have been complaining about since 5e shards were a part of releases, and fixing it at the start of a new 5e cycle is good timing. Does mean it'll take longer to get through all the classic 5's, though.

No idea about Iron Man. If there's no comic/movie reason to move him in the pattern, the only other example we have is a possible Costume release. So nothing but guesses on that front, really.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unless it could be another error. I hope not, I need apoc as to eat.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Webbed Wonder as a 4 day? Has that ever happened before? Not that I recall. 

Also clearly some error as the 2 star reward for Webbed Wonder is listed as Venom. But since the 3 star is Captain America, I can't tell if they missed the 2 or the 3 star.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Webbed Wonder as a 4 day? Has that ever happened before? Not that I recall. 

Also clearly some error as the 2 star reward for Webbed Wonder is listed as Venom. But since the 3 star is Captain America, I can't tell if they missed the 2 or the 3 star.
    Yes, absolutely.   December 2019 was the last one, so it's been a bit.  The first sub is a 48 hour sub in that format.

I guess we'll see on the placement rewards.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Running the 5e shards like they do right now, if you're playing SCL10 it happens in such a way that you can grind out a single shard cover for the required newest 5 purely from progression/incidental placement by the time they're first featured generally, so I don't complain about it myself. It was from the previous page, but I too would prefer a 5* Omega Red. I'm definitely now one of those players that couldn't tell you with certainty what the last 8-10 4* releases all do that I used to think were real Ivory Tower elites back when I was a 4* player. But MMR being what it is, you just CAN'T really care about 4*s once you cross the border into 5* territory because they don't help you hardly ever (unless they're bishop)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Running the 5e shards like they do right now, if you're playing SCL10 it happens in such a way that you can grind out a single shard cover for the required newest 5 purely from progression/incidental placement by the time they're first featured generally, so I don't complain about it myself. It was from the previous page, but I too would prefer a 5* Omega Red. I'm definitely now one of those players that couldn't tell you with certainty what the last 8-10 4* releases all do that I used to think were real Ivory Tower elites back when I was a 4* player. But MMR being what it is, you just CAN'T really care about 4*s once you cross the border into 5* territory because they don't help you hardly ever (unless they're bishop)

"So we're saving the galaxy again?"
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited July 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

"So we're saving the galaxy again?"
    What is that, some kind of trash panda? I rarely see 4ocket now that Kitty/BRB is a thing, but you're right, they used to have a stranglehold on my MMR. Now Kitty/Rocket is a welcome change in much the same way Thor-Koye used to be. It's probably because I don't have a good Kitty myself that I set those guys back on the shelf.
  • Bad
    Options
     you just CAN'T really care once you cross the border into 5* territory because they don't help you hardly ever (unless they're bishop)
    On pve some new 4* are of the most help. Karnak gives crits for smashing hard, shake board and gaining AP. Hellcat is great too for cs and because he improves tiles with each repeater. Super skrull purple can make the day too on waves.
    All that for a 5* player like me.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Juggernaut (+225% match damage and 90% match damage reduction)and Karnak (+560% match damage) are the most useful. Hellcat will be good in Kaecilius node.

A max champed 4* match damage are:
    170/149/131/22/20/18/85.

Max champed Karnak's will be: 1122/983/864/145/118/561.
    His match damage will be somewhere around the level of a 510 5* released in mid 2018, which is pretty good. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Sure, but none of those 4*s are faster for me than Okoye/Profe$$or X/iHulk in PVE, and unless they're featured I can't use them in PVP either. Didn't mean to turn this into a "4*s are dead" thread, but sadly they are kind of dead to me at this point unless they do something truly spectacular. So i've long wanted Omega Red, and it would be nice if once he arrives I'd be able to use him. Though a year and a half ago, I'd have said the same thing in reverse since 5*s were not really accessible to me as a mid-late 4* player. The stratification between roster tiers is pretty real.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @HoundofShadow

I still feel Sabertooth is the better option for Kaecilius since the strikes need to be matched and Saber can throw out worthless enemy strikes better than Elektra.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If speed is a priority in PvEs, not only are 4* useless, but the other 30+ or 40+ 5* also falls under this category.

Make Balance of Power happens at least once a month.

Sabretooth is good with Domino for Kaecilius node. I think Hellcat can be a good alternative too.
  • Bad
    Options
    Dont misunderstand when I say karnak is great for his help and his crits its not for the damage he deals. Those criticals will be used by his 5* partners doing 60k damage on a lucky drop that I did just today. He has red power super good for creating more critical moves or getting rid of cds, or use on critical tiles for more board shaking and damage. 
    About new 4*, they are way better than olders. What happens is that vet players have a lot more leveled olders of course, and that could make think that they are less good.
    Finally yes,there are people who dont have champed okoye and kitty. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Crits are great, and Karnak is better at it than most. I spent all last year growing my Chavez to 360 chasing Jessica Jones pre-shard though, so a baby champ Karnak isn’t doing a lot for me. It’s not that they aren’t “good,” it’s just the reality of how long on the actual calendar it would take to grow them such that they can survive the opponents I’m facing means they aren’t any good to me.

and I haven’t got a good Kitty either, 3/3/0, but I did spend the time chasing Shuri with bonus heroes to champ my Okoye. 
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I think the Iron-Man 5-star is a tie-in to the PS VR release.
  • MackDan1
    MackDan1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Been waiting for someone to say something over the past couple of days. Guess I'll bring it up. 2* Venom? Any chance of fixing that?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    meaning they should add one?