Time to go: 3rd time’s a charm.

Glockoma
Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
edited June 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
Love the community here.

Love the LINE community that has supported me in my endeavors.

Loved the game....at the beginning.

You’ve heard it all too often. Quitting here and there for one reason or another; frankly, too many to list. But my time is done. And right after I poured money into Apoc and iHulk no less. 

I had a moment of clarity:

1) I hadn’t played for a few days because I wanted to snipe a stone in one of the lower level seasons, so I had to wait it out.
2) I botched my timing on a 4-day event and essentially had to wait that out, leaving no play for days (meaningful play that is.)
3) And then I saw the broken hoards and realized it didn’t matter anyways because unless I had the newest shiniest thing, (of which is not yet released, erhm *onslaught* erhm), then I was right back where I started in baby champ 5* land. 

I had my fun after 6+ years, but I always felt I was in a tug of war. Always feeling left behind by the lack of attention the developers have for the game anymore in terms of consistent balancing while always feeling like I needed the newest character to compete at the higher levels. 

Then came all the money I spent. 

I just don’t have the reservations/patience some others do. I gladly spent; it wasn’t much skin off my back (until I look at all my receipts lol!). 

But in that moment today, I felt I so dumb to invest so much in something that has always had so very little return. I quit 2 times before this for months at a time. I always came back for nostalgic reasons and stayed for a while to get caught back up to the meta.

To be honest, I always thought this game was more than what it actually is. I loved it at first. Only 3*’s when I first started with Invisible Woman, X-Force, and Lady Thor as the only 4*’s. Chasing covers those days was so much fun and thrilling. But the game was always evolving at that time. Huge laundry lists of improvements or quality of life changes that always kept players involved. It really hit it’s prime right before 5*’s were introduced, in my opinion. Then the real dog-eat-dog competition began. It was a “who has the most money to have the fattest, latest 5* to rule over the rest.” I used to look in awe at those folks with a maxed Surfer, OML, and Phoenix, (VERY few of course), and I thought to myself, “if I wanted to really compete, I would have to start spending money.” And this was far before the “bundles” they offer today. 

I used the fact that I put in so much time and money to drive me perpetually forward that I didn’t even realize that all the ground covered would be power-creeped out of existence, enlisting all my faculties on the same old boring nodes, and leaving me increasingly tired and frustrated by the time required to compete competently. 

Welp, I’m over all of the development flaws. Over the laziness. Over the increasing rates of new character releases. Over the lack of new material. Over the lack balance. Over the commitment to the game.

I’m really typing this out to say goodbye for myself. Closure. I need it and can’t wait to be free of the game. It’s truly one of the last things holding me back from living my life again. So I want to say thanks, (spark joy, much?). 

I know I threw the devs under the bus in this post, but truly thank you for creating this game. I have enjoyed it like a true relationship: ups and downs and everything in between. But it’s time to move on. And to make sure I don’t restart the saga, I’m selling all my characters and washing my hands of it. So thank you all and I hope you all experience what I did today. 

There is a lot of world out there to just be waiting around in the same place for years on end.

Later

-Glock

Comments

• Vengeance
    Vengeance Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    All the best to you bud.  Take care.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Glockoma Awww dude, sorry to see you go but I understand. Wishing you all the best!
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    If 500 more quit this week who play above me the season stone is all mine!

Good luck with the 3rd time totally understand why you feel that way. 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Best wishes & stay safe out there. Pretty sure a number of us will follow suit.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good luck!

I'm giving it til this next anniversary event.
  • Tony_Foot

For what to happen?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Farewell!  If you ever come back just to look around, tell us how life feels again!  I'm curious.  :)

Very well put.  I'm not at that point yet... but I find my patience matches my willingness to barely pay a dime.  Couple that with a die-hard love for puzzley games (just the genre title, not the actual level of puzzle this game may or may not provide), and the Marvel franchise, and I still find myself getting drawn in.

HOWEVER -- this might also be bolstered by the fact that I'm near day 2425, and I'm posting the daily log-in updates.  It keeps me intrigued, seeing where its going to go, whats going to be offered next... like, when I saw my first Mighty Token show up as a non-random (actually SET reward), I thought it was neat.  I know... I'm strange.  :tongue:

Someone else will take over that mantle when I grow tired of it, I'm sure.  But for now, all of the above elements help drive me to still play for progression for PvE at minimum (unless I'm on vacay, then I just login to some hotel wifi and do at least one fight just for the login).
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good luck!

I wouldn't get my hopes up.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Best thing I did after quitting twice was to come back at my own pace and not worrying about palcement. 1k(now900) and out for PVP one 1 shield and playing to 6x clears if I feel like it on PVE. I've focused just on roster build and not keeping with the joneses.  I assume by spending big bucks that alure is not there as everyone is CHAMPED but the new shiny.  Not caring about placement has allowed me to enjoy the game again. Even against CL10 difficulty
  • DyingLegend
    Tony_Foot said:

For what to happen?

Too see if anything huge is released or some asked for QOL changes come down the pipe. I'm still remaining optimistic that something good is coming....
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot said:

For what to happen?

Too see if anything huge is released or some asked for QOL changes come down the pipe. I'm still remaining optimistic that something good is coming....

Wow you're normally like Eeyore, now you're being optimistic I'm feeling sorry for you. :'(

I don't want to rain on your moment of happiness but spoilers, what you are getting between now and October is five more 4* and five more 5* I think the only QOL changes for any of us is we accept that and grind on or quit and save those 5 months :D
  • PiMacleod
    Tony_Foot said:
    Tony_Foot said:

For what to happen?

Wow you're normally like Eeyore, now you're being optimistic I'm feeling sorry for you. :'(

I don't want to rain on your moment of happiness but spoilers, what you are getting between now and October is five more 4* and five more 5* I think the only QOL changes for any of us is we accept that and grind on or quit and save those 5 months :D
    Man... you said you didnt want to rain on his moment, but that was straight-up hail.

....not saying that it doesnt have a strong dose of truth with it... but you get what i mean.
  • DyingLegend
    edited June 2020
    Tony_Foot said:
    Tony_Foot said:

For what to happen?

I never said i was happy, I'd like to assume the Devs can see trends and will eventually listen to feedback. I've cut my playtime down tremendously ( along with spending). i haven't hit the table flip screw this game moment yet though. Maybe the limited playing is keeping me from complete burnout.

The one thing that keeps me "interested" is feeders. Cause i can get a 5 star to 11/13 or 10/13 and when they release a feeder update i can champion them which they reinvigorates my playing cause i have new combos to play with. 

BUT eventually enough people will quit, the game will get too bloated  and the game will enviably shutdown or MPQ 2 comes out and the rat race starts all over again.

• PiMacleod
    Tony_Foot said:
    Tony_Foot said:

For what to happen?

I never said i was happy, I'd like to assume the Devs can see trends and will eventually listen to feedback. I've cut my playtime down tremendously ( along with spending). i haven't hit the table flip screw this game moment yet though. Maybe the limited playing is keeping me from complete burnout.

The one thing that keeps me "interested" is feeders. Cause i can get a 5 star to 11/13 or 10/13 and when they release a feeder update i can champion them which they reinvigorates my playing cause i have new combos to play with. 

BUT eventually enough people will quit, the game will get too bloated  and the game will enviably shutdown or MPQ 2 comes out and the rat race starts all over again.

That's what I'm kinda waiting for too...  I feel like the devs have grown throughout this journey, and would've created the 2*s, 3*s, and others DIFFERENTLY if they had these ideas and experiences back then.  Also, there's so many other ideas that could be implemented from these forums alone, not to mention other match 3 games if they wanted.

To me, its a no-brainer.  Run this thing until it doesn't become beneficial to keep afloat any longer.  When it gets close to that point (financial reports can predict this point), start heavy development of MPQ2.  To get a new player base, send an invite to all of us forum goers, and to current MPQ players in general.  Have players put in their name, as usual... and give a bonus to "return players" for starting out, relative to the Shield Level and how many days logged in they have (rewarding both long term play, and those that spent more than others).  Instant player base in your new game!

Just my thoughts, if I was doing it.  Then again, I'm not a game designer (but I am in my head!).  :)
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well done on your clean break. Enjoy, and never look back. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Glockoma said:
    Felt really the day after I sold all my toons. Last toon was iHulk which the game wouldn’t allow me to sell. A little souvenir I suppose. Anywho, today I felt extremely liberated! Good luck to you all here and never feel like you have to keep going for keeping-going’s sake. 

Thanks for all the kind words. I still have LINE if anyone needs/wants to reach out.
    That is something that will keep you from returning. Good luck and to other wanting to quit: this is the way to do it. Hardcore.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember you as the iHulk/Vulture/?? player. Maybe you missed this reply in another thread, but it is being mentioned that the devs are working on a few features. That explains why blogs have gone missing. Anyway, I'm sure if you change your mind, you can alway email CS to restore your rosters. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I remember you as the iHulk/Vulture/?? player. Maybe you missed this reply in another thread, but it is being mentioned that the devs are working on a few features. That explains why blogs have gone missing. Anyway, I'm sure if you change your mind, you can alway email CS to restore your rosters. 
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in".
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,728 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Don't do it!  Some have reversed selling their rosters in the past. Don't be like them.  The game's not moving to a better place (increased pressure) IMO and if you've had enough, let it stick.

Also I'm not sure what CS is doing but they completely ignored my last submission.  Maybe they are shutting that down too, lol.