Will you stop playing if they don't release a new character every 2 weeks?

2»

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    no
    I'd prefer a couple of reworks instead of new characters for a bit. The game is already saturated enough with characters. Older characters need some love. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    no
    The vast majority thinks they wouldn't stop playing, but would slowly.

If you got a 4 one month and a 5 the next, eventually the carrot in front of the stick starts to seem a little less enticing.

Especially when it's a 2-3 character run of "sucky" 4's and 5's. 6 months of meh releases and then another 6 months or so of them hanging around, while you are hoping on your favorite character to still be released for the "1st" time.

i'm not suggesting they do that forever. but maybe release a 4* give it a bit. then a 5*. let it marinate. rework an old character next. make some improvements to the game after that. then go for another new 4* and proceed accordingly. until they've buffed all the trash and made the game better. then jump back on the 2 week train.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm curious. Let's say the devs decided to rework bottom tier 5* characters like Kingpin or Wasp. After the re-work, they upgraded to become your average mid-tier 5* characters. Do you think the time spent is worth it or is it a waste of time? Let's put the topic on dilution and catching up aside.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    no
    I'm curious. Let's say the devs decided to rework bottom tier 5* characters like Kingpin or Wasp. After the re-work, they upgraded to become your average mid-tier 5* characters. Do you think the time spent is worth it or is it a waste of time? Let's put the topic on dilution and catching up aside.

I generally think of the characters in 4 tiers:
    1) usable all the time, boosted or not, with a variety of partners
    2) usable on a limited number of teams all the time (like as specific counters or with specific partners) and on many teams when boosted
    3) usable only when boosted
    4) garbage under any circumstances. if you win it’s in spite of them not because of them

For me, I’d think it time well spent to go from tier 4 to tier 2. If they only go to tier 3, not as much unless they start having multiple 5’s boosted per week or per event.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    no
    I prefer an every two-week rotation of:

1.  New 4
    2.  New 5
    3.  Reworked 5 and 4 (Doesn't even need to be huge, just more relevant) + Something with Support that is worth spending on.

The stores for that 3rd week would sell more than the other two I'd think.  Do a store for the 4 with shards for the 5 and something for a support.  
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    no
    bluewolf said:
    I voted but I think the poll may get taken down due to "no neutral option".

Also is your alternative a 3-week release schedule?  Or skipping a release after 2 releases?  Freezing one of the tiers?

Some alternatives to releasing characters while trying to keep revenue flowing:

1.  Do a "costume week" with vaults/stores for the featured character(s) (run them in PVE and run their PVP)
    2.  Revamp a Classic 5 and offer a bundle with a cover, maybe a special CP store maybe even one of those special stores like with new releases where you can turn HP to chase a token for the store.  Make a new costume alongside the revamp.
    3.  Hold a Support week, people want supports but there is practically no way to get them.  Newer players especially are stuck in a permanent disadvantage status.  Do SOMETHING with them, even a small thing.
    4.  Make a meta-4 store with HP cost and 50% weighting on 12 of them.  I know they did this once before and it seemed not-great at that time, but full dilution now would change that calculation a bit.  Maybe even make a different structure where you have 1/4 of the 4s (most used characters) or something, or 25 of them, or something.

I'm sure there are other ideas people have.....  I do appreciate recent attempts to create some themes or synergy in the game but I think tying offers more directly to who you are using makes a lot of sense.  A one-time bundle would surely get some more takers over these vaults and stores which appeal to some but are mostly ignored as far as spending cash.

I am not sure how much they care to shake things up but it's always, always the same thing.  Being a little creative could pay big dividends for them.
    There's not really a neutral option to "quit or don't quit"
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    no
    bluewolf said:
    A neutral option would be "release schedule won't affect my playtime".  It's what I would have picked if it was available.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    no
    @IIAlonditeII

I suppose it's true that hose are a binary choice, but the poll could have captured other options or opinions.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    no
    bluewolf said:
    A neutral option would be "release schedule won't affect my playtime".  It's what I would have picked if it was available.
    That's the same as "won't quit"