Should CL10 pve be renamed CL Thorokoye?

13»

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,241 Chairperson of the Boards
    @OJSP

It remains to be seen, as far as I can tell, whether pairing Thor with Apocalypse can approach Thorkoye's synergy and ramp-up to power boost levels.  Poccy's cap vs Okoye getting more boost for more AP seems to be a big push in Okoye's favor.  Their sustainability is also hard to beat in SCL10, where even 550s might have some issues with some of the CNs.  I dunno how much that concerns the OP.

Nor am I sure that 550'ing the Hulk/Yelena/Poccy trio would result in a faster team than Thorkoye.  Okoye is really, really good at ramping up dmg, especially with Thor grabbing yellow all the time.  And if you have a high level RTF?  Forget about it.

Okoye has been with Thor maybe once?  They had a meta 5 store one time for about 3 -5 days.

As far as Latests go, here are the releases around her that overlapped with her being in Latests:

Jessica Jones
    Cap Inf War
    Okoye
    Wasp
    Loki

Now, I kept pulling for most of the time Wasp was in Latests personally because I wanted as many Okoye as I could get, and even pulled at least part of the time Wasp was in with Kitty for the same reason.

The rest of your points are well made, the game is based on FOMO around digital goods.  Honestly I'm not sure the devs intent was "Make Okoye Great Again" necessarily, but that's certainly how things turned out.  
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    grunth13 said:
    DeNappa said:
    grunth13 said:
    I saw this somewhere before but I don't know how true it is: for players who get covers of 5* characters who are already at 550, they can swap it for other covers or their choice. If it is true, maybe he can wait for those special Legend stores where it features those 550 characters that he has to re-build a baby championed Thor. If not, he can see which support he can use to help Okoye tanks more colour(s) over Thor.

I don't think Okoye will get nerfed even though she is powerful, and she gets even more OP because of Thor. Over the history of MPQ, free ap generation is considered a broken ability, and 5 free ap per turn plus potential matches from tile destruction is OP. But, nerf either one and we'll have havoc again.
    Only if it's in the latest... because i have 11 550s, every cover I get for them need to be used in a dupe.  Also,  levels should matter no matter when the character was came out.   A 460 level should not beat a 550 level.   It shouldn't be preferred.   Maybe 1 out of 10 times,  not 9 out of 10.  That's what I'm saying.   And it's not like I don't have newer characters at 550.  Hell,  I have px, storm,  kitty,  iceman and hela.   All of them came way after okoye, but none of them are in the same boat as okoye for cl10 pve, even when they are 90 levels higher. 
    (emphasis mine) 

I disagree. That is where strategy / tactics come in play. The 5* champs I have are in the baby champ range (highest around lvl 460 probably). Should I be losing 9 out of 10 matches when I play SCL10 PVE nodes because the enemy team is scaled up to level 650?
    I said you should not be beating my time 9 out of 10 times,  i don't care if you beat the enemy.   If all I needed was a 460 okoye and 450 thor,  then having the diversity of my roster means nothing in pve.
    Umm, welcome to MPQ.  It's been that way since about October 2013.  I don't mean to be rude, but having the best characters has basically always been essential for top pve/PVP performance in mpq.  I'm just a little surprised to see a LONG time vet like you caught so flat-footed by that fact, grunth.

If roster diversity mattered, then demi wouldn't have to force it with essential nodes, featured PVP events, and weekly boost lists. . .
    Flat footed?  Cl10 just came out.   Okoye has been out forever.   Cl9 was a thanos/fodder game for which I have him at 550 for that specific reason.   They sprung cl10 with no warning and made a character that's been in classics for a very long time almost essential for top placement.   That's not flat footed,  that's having the rug pulled out from under me. 
    You seem flat-footed by the idea that demi will, without much notice, substantially change the value of certain roster configurations. As if you hadn't been playing during the the thorverine nerf, or the OML nerf, or the Gambit nerf, or the introdution of 2* essential nodes, or 5* essentials, or weekly boost lists. This stuff happens quite frequently in MPQ, though your specific scenario is on the extreme side of things in terms of both performance gap and cost to correct.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    grunth13 said:
    DeNappa said:
    grunth13 said:
    I saw this somewhere before but I don't know how true it is: for players who get covers of 5* characters who are already at 550, they can swap it for other covers or their choice. If it is true, maybe he can wait for those special Legend stores where it features those 550 characters that he has to re-build a baby championed Thor. If not, he can see which support he can use to help Okoye tanks more colour(s) over Thor.

I don't think Okoye will get nerfed even though she is powerful, and she gets even more OP because of Thor. Over the history of MPQ, free ap generation is considered a broken ability, and 5 free ap per turn plus potential matches from tile destruction is OP. But, nerf either one and we'll have havoc again.
    Only if it's in the latest... because i have 11 550s, every cover I get for them need to be used in a dupe.  Also,  levels should matter no matter when the character was came out.   A 460 level should not beat a 550 level.   It shouldn't be preferred.   Maybe 1 out of 10 times,  not 9 out of 10.  That's what I'm saying.   And it's not like I don't have newer characters at 550.  Hell,  I have px, storm,  kitty,  iceman and hela.   All of them came way after okoye, but none of them are in the same boat as okoye for cl10 pve, even when they are 90 levels higher. 
    (emphasis mine) 

I disagree. That is where strategy / tactics come in play. The 5* champs I have are in the baby champ range (highest around lvl 460 probably). Should I be losing 9 out of 10 matches when I play SCL10 PVE nodes because the enemy team is scaled up to level 650?
    I said you should not be beating my time 9 out of 10 times,  i don't care if you beat the enemy.   If all I needed was a 460 okoye and 450 thor,  then having the diversity of my roster means nothing in pve.
    Umm, welcome to MPQ.  It's been that way since about October 2013.  I don't mean to be rude, but having the best characters has basically always been essential for top pve/PVP performance in mpq.  I'm just a little surprised to see a LONG time vet like you caught so flat-footed by that fact, grunth.

If roster diversity mattered, then demi wouldn't have to force it with essential nodes, featured PVP events, and weekly boost lists. . .
    Flat footed?  Cl10 just came out.   Okoye has been out forever.   Cl9 was a thanos/fodder game for which I have him at 550 for that specific reason.   They sprung cl10 with no warning and made a character that's been in classics for a very long time almost essential for top placement.   That's not flat footed,  that's having the rug pulled out from under me. 
    SCL10 had been coming "Soon (tm)" for over two years.  I'd hardly consider that "with no warning." :)

But today's SCL 10 node of God Doom, 5-star Marvel, and Hela was one that was certainly not amenable to Thorkoye.  Hela will enjoy stealing your green very much, and doing lots of damage in the meantime.  I tried a few different teams, and ended up having to whale my way through the final clear with Havok as a health sink for Scarlet Witch and Deadpool.

• bluewolf
    I took out the CN with Thorkoye and Iceman, as I often do.  Some use 2099 instead of Iceman but I like Iceman better.

Worth remember every dollar you spend in the game will one day disappear.  There are no permanent advantages.

Ask Sega Heroes fans how they are feeling right now.  That game's design was completely pay to win from what I hear, too.  Once the servers shut down in about 9 days they can't even play the game at all anymore.
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2020
    grunth13 said:
    Hi,  my name is Riddlemaster and I'm a MPQaholic.  I just find it interesting that I have 11 550s, another 4 510+ level and am still getting beat on my opening clears by 460 to 500 level Okoyes.  There are times when I struggle against the challenge node with max level boosts,  so I start my end grind earlier,  but these 460 to 500 Okoye rosters are breezing through them without a hitch, hiccup,  blip,  etc while starting a few minutes after me.   What's the point of spending to get one of the highest ranked rosters in the game and still lose because I didn't 550 Okoye.   Btw, before anyone says I should just champ mine,  I'll say that mine is 484 level.   So by no means is my Okoye small,  it's just that with my Thor being 550, my Okoye is basically useless until I 550 it.   It just feels like a slap in the face.  Anyways,  thanks for letting me share. 
    For the record I don't use thorkoye at all except for some specific CN and I regularly beat the OP by at least 5 minutes on opening clears (if I'm actually able to start exactly at 11pm).  I don't think its a thorkoye issue, maybe change your teams up a little bit and you'll find something faster.  It takes some experimenting but its definitely doable with your roster.

Edit: Also, I personally have added about 23 levels to okoye since shards started (for pvp purposes mostly, but it helps in pve) and mine is just a few levels above yours.  Changing your sharget to okoye shuri could pay off pretty quick.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    I understand why you feel that way. However, with the even increasing power creep, I think your aim shouldn't be levelling up Okoye anymore or even building a second Thor. It's too late for that now.

The developers put pressure on us to keep spending so we don't get behind other players. I think it will be better to identify the next 5*s to get to 550, so you don't fall behind further.

Hulk, Yelena, and Apocalypse seems like a good bunch to start, but maybe wait to see who is next after Apocalypse, just in case they're even better than Hulk.

It's unfortunate that for whatever reason, you weren't able to get Okoye to 550 yet, but you got other 550s from your hoard (I know she had Wasp in one of her stores and her special stores were variable, but I think she was in one with Thor and then Kitty, so there was more than one opportunity). Let's look forward instead.

I think it is quite sad that older characters can be rendered useless due to the power creep, but that is also the only way for newer players to catch up to the older players or even compete with them.
    Almost every special store she came in has had a character I have at 550.  That would mean all the covers I got for them would need to go to a dupe or sold for iso.  Also,  I broke a 2200 pull hoard for iceman, px, storm (should have waited for carnage), with which I was able to 550 kitty and hela.   If I had known or had an inkling if cl10 (it was pending for 2 years), I would have 550d okoye instead of hela.   With hela,  I was able to 1 shot most cl9 nodes with her and thanos.  
  • Vhailorx
    grunth13 said:
    OJSP said:
    I understand why you feel that way. However, with the even increasing power creep, I think your aim shouldn't be levelling up Okoye anymore or even building a second Thor. It's too late for that now.

The developers put pressure on us to keep spending so we don't get behind other players. I think it will be better to identify the next 5*s to get to 550, so you don't fall behind further.

Hulk, Yelena, and Apocalypse seems like a good bunch to start, but maybe wait to see who is next after Apocalypse, just in case they're even better than Hulk.

It's unfortunate that for whatever reason, you weren't able to get Okoye to 550 yet, but you got other 550s from your hoard (I know she had Wasp in one of her stores and her special stores were variable, but I think she was in one with Thor and then Kitty, so there was more than one opportunity). Let's look forward instead.

I think it is quite sad that older characters can be rendered useless due to the power creep, but that is also the only way for newer players to catch up to the older players or even compete with them.
    Almost every special store she came in has had a character I have at 550.  That would mean all the covers I got for them would need to go to a dupe or sold for iso.  Also,  I broke a 2200 pull hoard for iceman, px, storm (should have waited for carnage), with which I was able to 550 kitty and hela.   If I had known or had an inkling if cl10 (it was pending for 2 years), I would have 550d okoye instead of hela.   With hela,  I was able to 1 shot most cl9 nodes with her and thanos.  
    Investing resources in a non-meta character for a niche use can be fun, but it always comes with a risk unless you have truly unlimited resources.  And it's not like okoye want known to be meta before cl10 came out.

But in any event, if you are collecting 2k+ pull hoards, then putting 900 out so into building a 5/x/x Thor dupe with shards isn't that big s sacrifice if the using thorkoye will measurably improve your pve experience.
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    grunth13 said:
    OJSP said:

You could have (and still can!) downed the cl9 nodes with okoye and 3nos and used less health packs as well.  Either way I think it was a poor choice to 550 hela.  She's not just not that good.  I'd recommend favoriting okoye for now, like I already suggested. 
        In the meantime if cl10 pve is proving too hard for you, there's no shame in dropping down a level.  There's slightly less stuff in cl9 but it is a lot faster and easier.  
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 said:
    OJSP said:

You could have (and still can!) downed the cl9 nodes with okoye and 3nos and used less health packs as well.  Either way I think it was a poor choice to 550 hela.  She's not just not that good.  I'd recommend favoriting okoye for now, like I already suggested. 
        In the meantime if cl10 pve is proving too hard for you, there's no shame in dropping down a level.  There's slightly less stuff in cl9 but it is a lot faster and easier.  
    That's a mighty thing to say to someone with over 10 maxed out 5* champs. I chuckled at that, thanks.
  • Vhailorx
    edited May 2020
    grunth13 said:
    OJSP said:

Perhaps no shame, but something like an 80% drop in 5* shards.  That's very painful in the current, cp-starved environment.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I definitely use Thorkoye a lot in SCL 10, but I only go to progression and stop usually.

Which 3rd do you think is fastest with Thorkoye?  I had been using Prof X, but lately, I've used Spiderman 2099.  
  • bluewolf
    I definitely use Thorkoye a lot in SCL 10, but I only go to progression and stop usually.

Which 3rd do you think is fastest with Thorkoye?  I had been using Prof X, but lately, I've used Spiderman 2099.  
    For speed in SCL10, Spidey is maybe usually fastest since he does extra dmg on a match of 3 colors, and doesn't require a match 4/5.  However, having Prof's nuke capability (or ability to deal with other things like a tile you can't match away) is also really helpful.
  • Akroma
    Akroma Posts: 77 Match Maker

spider is good :D also sabertooth and torch4 :D
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone with a 451 Apocalypse I do believe he will become Meta with CL10 clears.  With Okoye the benefit is she boosts all powers and self heals.  at equal levels she needs about 7 TU AP to give the same boost Apocalypse does with 5 covers in his yellow.

here is the difference with Apocalypse red or black combined with yellow does massive damage.  To get the same damage with Thors red you would need close to 30 TU AP.  Apocalypse black even at level 3 will do 73K damage for 7 AP.  Pair Apocalypse Thor BRB and you have a crazy fast PVE team especially at equal levels.  I think the mets is going through a new shift with Apocalypse and the new 5* with another 84K health and who can turn invisible can also help
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cracked hoard.

Venom Bomb: was hard to tell, with boosted Apoc. I did better than I basically ever do in PVE....and after understanding what was 'best' for me, never paired Okoye with Thor - but I still used one or the other in every single non-easy node. What was good in PVE didn't suddenly become bad in PVE.

Unstable-ISO: so far, so good. Used Thor zero times in it today, because Giant hulk and half-life thor aren't friends.