Venom bomb woes

krakenoon
krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker

Seriously, am i the only one who thinks Eddie’s green should be disabled when paired with Carmage AND a feeder?
This should be a thought in the back of the dev’s mind for all teams in PvE. Challenge is important, but when a player cannot complete a node, their engagement drops to 0.

Comments

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor

I think you might be, yea.

I think you might be taking the wrong people to the fight if you can't handle this. Remember to target venom first, then you either need to stun him quickly, limit his ap, or nuke him.

Depending where you are in the game, there's plenty of characters to help.
    A good low level combo would be obw/hawkguy. Hawk will generate blue and purple for every enemy tile matched, and obw can steal his ap.

If you're looking at 3stars a good combo would be im40/cmags/grey suit blackwidow. You should be able to kill the whole team after im40 yellow goes off.

4star, anyone with a cheap stun. Gamora, iceman, Nova. Or anyone who boosts tiles (Ronin, Nico, Kitty) and use carnage against himself.

• krakenoon
    edited April 2020

Still working on getting working 4 stars. My point is that you have 4 turns to drop Venom when he has a feeder in SCL7. That first hit might not kill you, but by the time I’ve downed Venom, I’m usually down a toon. If I’m lucky, I need about 2 health packs after I’ve downed Carnage.
    I understand you were attempting to be helpful, but my point is that If SCL7 is intended for a 3-4 star roster this node serves no purpose other than draining health packs. Fine in theory, lacking in execution. Hawk Guy is great here, but he needs to tank and get lots of black ap to survive. Then you can chase the strike tiles.
    There are many good solutions to the node, accepting that you will burn through health packs seems to be about it until you’re solidly in 4 star land. I’ll try the OBW matchup, but I’ve had limited success with less squishy 2 stars post SCL4.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor

@krakenoon said:
    My point is that you have 4 turns to drop Venom when he has a feeder in SCL7.

So stun him. or use someone who can regen better. Patch is exceptionally helpful in tanking damage. depending on your team, there's plenty of ways to mitigate these powers. a good example is 3Daken, 3Hulk, C4rol. you let hulk
    take a hit so it generates his anger, then carol will buff the strikes daken has put down.

Same with Hulk/Patch. use patchs Green, let hulk take a hit, everyone dies. that's 1 health pack for hulk, move on.

Use the semi infinite of KK/3storm/Gambit.

There's a huge amount of options - this game helps those with big rosters. if you're not trying different characters, that's why you're failing.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

What's your roster like? And what Supports do you have?

One of the teams I like using against special tile spammers are Dr Strange, Hawkeye and Patch. Patch will tank 3 to 4 colours. Hawkeye will tank 2 colours.I use Patch to give the enemy team more special tiles when the purple tiles can be matched. I switch Dr Strange for Dr Ock sometimes.

You can use 3* Captain Marvel (depending on her level) as a damage sponge to gain 5 red and 3 black ap. Then, you use let other characters like Cyclops use those aps.

I think you just need to explore different playstyles more and be a little creative.

I doubt you can down Venom in 4 turns in SCL 7 unless you are using R4G, GotG/Kitty, and Juggernaut.

• Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker

I used a lot of switch and deadpool as a 3 star player. Patch does make a good 3rd for this team.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
  • krakenoon

Thanks for the input everybody. I have a few 4 stars but am pretty much a 3 star player. I rely heavily on Blad3 Falcon & Strange for goons & already they feel like they are losing effectiveness. I do use patch a lot as well, I guess my big concern here is It feels like a lot of newer nodes are pretty rough on players who haven’t really broken into 4 star land.
    I generally lean heavily on Charlie’s Angels & Strange to clear nodes. I guess I’m just struggling to keep up as of recent.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards

Also, some events are just harder than others. For example, Cosmic Chaos. A lot of ppl go down in scl just for that event.

• HoundofShadow

If I were you, I would stay in SCL 6 until I can clear it in 20-25mins, before moving to SCL 7. That's what I did, unless there are characters that I want to chase a lot. It should net you a top 5 or top 10 in SCL 6.

For goons, I recommend Dr. Strange, Thanos, and someone like R4G or Okoye. If not get someone similar to them like Daken, Patch, Blad3 etc.

Look through your supports too.

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020

I will keep saying, goon AP feeder mechanic has always been and will always be broken.

Like that node last week where Ares was fed green by some symbiote... and his onslaught did 6018 damage per AP at level 650....

/edit: Oh hey, last time they ran Venom Bomb: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/81561/time-to-revisit-the-argument-between-board-movers-npcs-re-auto-ap-generation

• krakenoon

@OJSP
    1 cover on iceman, so no dice there. I tried juggs/prof5 and got eaten up. I actually did better with my under leveled Carbage & Medusa but again, painful. I pretty much forgot about Hawkeye since I started using them on occasion. Also no levels on my 5 stars so I can actually participate in PvP. Also also, pretty much only use the strange combo on goon heavy nodes(at least 2).
    @HoundofShadow
    You know, I’ve tried messing around with my SCL & slices as of recent and even in 6 I seem unable to get even T50 when trying optimal clears. RN it feels like I should be punching up to get the higher progression rewards until I can start pulling the daily placements. Also, no Okoye QQ and I think 1 cover on Shuri.

• HoundofShadow

I find it surprising that it's not easy to get top 50 in SCL 6. Even though there are 5* players in SCL 6, most of them are pretty chill in clearing the nodes. I remember back then 25-30 mins will net you a top 10. I play in the first bracket 99% of the time. How long do you take for the first 4 clears and last 3 clears on average?

I suppose your 3* Dr Strange and Thanos are not max champed yet. Focus on maxing out 3* Dr Strange followed by 3* Thanos. The reason being more than half of the PvEs are filled with goons. I had these 2 max champed before moving up to SCL 7 more regularly.

• krakenoon

@OJSP
    I have not tried strange & IM40, nor Hawkguy & OBW. Will see how they perform today. My Medusa is also 2/1/2 so not super effective in general.
    @HoundofShadow TBH I think when I ran SCL6 last, it was a lackluster 4 star in progression so possibly more advanced rosters punching down. I find the most time consuming aspect of my initial clears to be theory crafting good teams & trying to avoid nukes.

• krakenoon
    edited April 2020

Just an update here. 1 symbiotic fury dropped a max level boosted OBW (no bonus health from supports). Hawkguy was dropped 2 rounds later...
    Edit: Eddie also interferes with IM40s ability to drop recharge tiles.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

@krakenoon said:
    Still working on getting working 4 stars. My point is that you have 4 turns to drop Venom when he has a feeder in SCL7. That first hit might not kill you, but by the time I’ve downed Venom, I’m usually down a toon. If I’m lucky, I need about 2 health packs after I’ve downed Carnage.
    I understand you were attempting to be helpful, but my point is that If SCL7 is intended for a 3-4 star roster this node serves no purpose other than draining health packs. Fine in theory, lacking in execution. Hawk Guy is great here, but he needs to tank and get lots of black ap to survive. Then you can chase the strike tiles.
    There are many good solutions to the node, accepting that you will burn through health packs seems to be about it until you’re solidly in 4 star land. I’ll try the OBW matchup, but I’ve had limited success with less squishy 2 stars post SCL4.

Are you using if to fuel hawguy with black? Or patch/daken/r&g to tank? Do you have strange? His stun is awesome and he will punish that feeder goon and heal you for free. What about im40 to give you find of ap by turn ~4? There are lots of viable strategies and it's hard to give you more specific advice without knowing more about your roster and playstyle.

• HoundofShadow

It's not easy to give advice specifically for your roster and we can only jab around with teams based on our experiences using those teams.

These are the 3* teams I used before to deal with tile movers:

3* Captain Marvel, Cyclops and Iron Fist. Cyclops is your attacker and the rest are your ap feeder or damage sponge.

Combination of Hulk/Thor/Starlord/Kamala Khan/R3G. The idea is to flood the board with green to either use AoE more frequently or destroy the boards.

There are more teams to suggest but the levels of your characters affect the composition of teams.

• krakenoon

Yeah, 4 clears seems to be about as far as I could get with a mainly 3 star roster levels 170-233.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards

Depends on your roster and team. I actually target Carnage first, then Venom. I let Okoye take the hits if possible but yeah with a feeder you are going to eat at least one of his greens. I have never really had too much a problem with Venom. I fear his yellow more than his green personally.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 203 Tile Toppler

I used 3* Strange and IM40, and like the poster above, I target Carnage first. I could usually get the clears done with just a health pack or two with the 2 3* in the low 200’s. I agree that this was my most hated node in PVP for a very long time though.