Boss event goes bye-bye

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope so too but there have been plenty of events that were quietly mothballed without further comment. Alliance Raids, more frequent 4* PvP, System Reboot. Then there are those which are on "hiatus" like Fight for Wakanda and Support Circuit ,( maybe even Gwen Prix?).

In all of the above cases, silence has never been a particularly good sign.

My only real hope was the changes to X-Men v Apocalypse mentioned in one of the updates a while back is a positive sign. Otherwise in all my time playing this is the longest I remember where no Boss Event or one scheduled upcoming has been the case in the game.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Is there any evidence showing that boss events have been put out of existence?

What was the longest period where there wasn't any boss event?

I remember it was in 2018 or 2019 where boss events occurred more frequently. 

My belief, like some, is that they are restructuring the rewards of the boss events because this is the only type of event where the rewards have not been updated yet, Prologue aside.

Going back to 12/22/16, there has been a boss event alongside almost every 5* release, so basically about every 6 weeks or sometimes more frequently.

Exceptions:  Doc Ock released without a boss event in June 2017 and Webbed Wonder was his release (the big node gave away a token to his store).  Thor released Nov 2017 with the Sakaar Arena and the now-familiar 1:250 chance to pull him from the tokens which were rewarded. 

Then in December 2018 we skipped a boss event because they ran Sinister 600 (remember alliance raid events? also shelved with no comment.)  So it was still an alliance event.

So the last boss event was 2/6/20; barring some unusual release for next week's 4*, we won't see one until late April at the earliest, marking the longest gap in time between boss or alliance events since December 2016 (there was a gap of about 3 1/2 months before that event, but boss events were pretty sporadic in 2016).

I note that we have asked for comment a number of times on this matter with no response, but Ice is posting stuff around their April Fool's joke yesterday (hence he's somewhat active), which tells me that the answer they would give on boss events is not one they think we want to hear.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    If that's the case, boss events fans have to wait.

I would love for them to bring back community boss event just once. I think it's where every single player in the game progress together. I have never played that before in MPQ, so I would like it to happen once more.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020

I would love for them to bring back community boss event just once. I think it's where every single player in the game progress together. I have never played that before in MPQ, so I would like it to happen once more.
    I have a hazy recollection of doing a community boss event.  Like WAY back in the day.  Maybe 2014-15?  And I think it only happened once.  Or maybe this is just a dream I had after eating too much pizza and drinking too much beer.  :-)
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards

I have a hazy recollection of doing a community boss event.  Like WAY back in the day.  Maybe 2014-15?  And I think it only happened once.  Or maybe this is just a dream I had after eating too much pizza and drinking too much beer.  :-)
    Wow yeah forgot about that. Wasn’t it a valentines event?
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Thank you for confirming they will be coming back, saves a lot of speculation/frustration.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    For real, there's a significant amount of unrest that could be alleviated by update posts as short as this one (or the one recently that said they were working on Shield Training). 
  • SpeaksWithStone
    SpeaksWithStone Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Given that just about everyone is sitting at home it is disappointing that we couldn't have more alliance events.  Seems like a great time to have run a series of these instead of a series of no alliance events.  I almost never log into these forums, but I finally got frustrated enough to look to see if anything was going on or if my alliance and myself were the only ones grumping about no alliance events.  When we have events the discussion level and interaction in the alliance peaks.  When nothing is going on it's mostly random jokes or comments on how this toon rocks or that toon sucks.

Please hurry back Alliance Events - even if you are working to improve them, why not run the old ones while you do that?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards

@SpeaksWithStone said:
    Given that just about everyone is sitting at home it is disappointing that we couldn't have more alliance events.  Seems like a great time to have run a series of these instead of a series of no alliance events. 

**Please hurry back Alliance Events **-

This. Given that a bunch of us are literally stuck at home doing nothing, proctoring home schooling, or taking the dog for the 50th walk of the day, this would be a great time to throw the community a bone and have like 4 concurrent boss battles happening simultaneously. Play one, play all. Who cares. But at least it is something to do to keep me engaged. As it is, I'm not playing this game one second more than before quarantine. In fact, I'm playing less since I had to move slices to accommodate said home schooling and moved down a CL just to get to bed at a more reasonable time.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards

@LakeStone said:
    We don't have many details yet to share and we were hoping to get one on the schedule sooner but we do have a Boss Event coming in May.  As we get closer to the date, we will share more details.

Thanks for posting in here. Your response makes me feel like the team has been reworking boss events and I can’t wait to see what changes or if we get a new event in May.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards

@wymtime said:

@LakeStone said:
    We don't have many details yet to share and we were hoping to get one on the schedule sooner but we do have a Boss Event coming in May.  As we get closer to the date, we will share more details.

Thanks for posting in here. Your response makes me feel like the team has been reworking boss events and I can’t wait to see what changes or if we get a new event in May.

Always best to keep expectations low.....a simple return would be nice.

• Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker

@pheregas said:

@SpeaksWithStone said:
    Given that just about everyone is sitting at home it is disappointing that we couldn't have more alliance events.  Seems like a great time to have run a series of these instead of a series of no alliance events. 

This. Given that a bunch of us are literally stuck at home doing nothing, proctoring home schooling, or taking the dog for the 50th walk of the day, this would be a great time to throw the community a bone and have like 4 concurrent boss battles happening simultaneously. Play one, play all. Who cares. But at least it is something to do to keep me engaged. As it is, I'm not playing this game one second more than before quarantine. In fact, I'm playing less since I had to move slices to accommodate said home schooling and moved down a CL just to get to bed at a more reasonable time.

If they did that I would quit so fast. A extremely repetitive and boring boss event every once and a while is fine, but back to back to back to back like that would be pure torture

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards

@Ugh said:

@pheregas said:

@SpeaksWithStone said:

If they did that I would quit so fast. A extremely repetitive and boring boss event every once and a while is fine, but back to back to back to back like that would be pure torture

You don't have to do them. I don't like them either but if they ran them alongside a normal pve I'd be very happy with that. I just don't like them when they are instead of a pve. I prefer choice.

• DAZ0273

@Ugh said:

@pheregas said:

@SpeaksWithStone said:

Do you play different PvE to me then if you don't find that "extremely repetitive and boring"?!?! Yay, it is The Hunt again...I can't wait to meet Rocket and the Tree guy again...

• Ugh

@DAZ0273 said:

@Ugh said:

@pheregas said:

@SpeaksWithStone said:

Do you play different PvE to me then if you don't find that "extremely repetitive and boring"?!?! Yay, it is The Hunt again...I can't wait to meet Rocket and the Tree guy again...

Yes, because the boss battle that is designed to be played one way and needs to be done the same way over and over and over and over and over the same way is not repetitive. The hunt is like every other pvp where you play a bunch of regular matches that you can play any way you like. The hunt only gets a bad wrap because the florida section is such a mess.

That doesn't even go into the you have to come back every 8 hours and screw up your schedule for pretty much anything else and have to deal with the horrible scaling on the side stuff that makes it an extremely painful slog before long

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards

@Ugh said:

That doesn't even go into the you have to come back every 8 hours and screw up your schedule for pretty much anything else and have to deal with the horrible scaling on the side stuff that makes it an extremely painful slog before long

I'm guessing you are not in an Alliance that knew what they were doing. If you are in a good Alliance, it is definitely NOT a slog. These events take up way less time than the normal PVE.

• DAZ0273

@Ugh said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@Ugh said:

@pheregas said:

@SpeaksWithStone said:

Yes, because the boss battle that is designed to be played one way and needs to be done the same way over and over and over and over and over the same way is not repetitive. The hunt is like every other pvp where you play a bunch of regular matches that you can play any way you like. The hunt only gets a bad wrap because the florida section is such a mess.

My Alliance is by no means top tier but it is not really a slog by any means for us, obviously I understand if your experience is different ( it seems to be also from your trouble with covering newer 4* since shard rewards in events). We love working together to get the rewards which we nearly always do - no need to worry about some gimboud sneaking up last minute to push you out of top 50 finish in a new release (harumph!).And the main Essential characters on boss Events cycle like any PvE so I don't really see how it is any different? Also the 8 hour schedule is probably perfect for those working at home during this crisis. I could never do the Friday flip because if work but now I could help my Alliance finish even earlier! Still...moot until May.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards

Yep. I'm in. Throw all the boss events this way. Throw EVERY event this way.

Not everyone who plays the game plays for placement. Or even progression! Some people still play for fun... which is weird, right? I mean, its a game... who does that? ;)

And for me... more different is more fun. Keep mixing it up. I think its VERY indicative that SO many players were actually disappointed that we couldn't play that big April Fools board. We want new and/or different! It wasn't a "oh, that would be a BETTER game", it was more like "hey, that's different, I'd like to try that out".

So please. Keep throwing things that are outside the norm. PvE is fine. PvP is fine. But throw stuff in-between them. You can't please everyone, either, so just throw different things once every other (or every two) event(s). Sure, some people may not enjoy that as much, but those people are already getting their normal dose of PvE and PvP. The rest of us who like a little different would like a slice of that too.

Thanks. Can't wait for May's event.

• Ugh

@LavaManLee said:

@Ugh said:

I'm guessing you are not in an Alliance that knew what they were doing. If you are in a good Alliance, it is definitely NOT a slog. These events take up way less time than the normal PVE.

I'm talking about the horrible scaling where the side nodes take 10x as long to get through as the actual boss