How to defeat Bishop

2»

Comments

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    How much damage is your Panther Move or be moved doing? 
    I think I know where your going with this.  About 12K.  Panthos used to be my main team and I had more success against bishop with them than anyone else but it failed much more often than it worked.  It is extremely dependant on Panther getting stunned first, not always possible, and since thanos will certainly get stunned while waiting the 4 turns for panther to unstunned court death likely won't go off and my team is probably about half dead by that point and I get hammered while fighting bishop because it takes forever to fight him and  panthos isn't exactly deterrent on defense anymore.

I've found it much more productive to skip him entirely than take the 1 in 3 chance that my Panthos might be able to take him down.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    How much damage is your Panther Move or be moved doing? 
    I think I know where your going with this.  About 12K.  Panthos used to be my main team and I had more success against bishop with them than anyone else but it failed much more often than it worked.  It is extremely dependant on Panther getting stunned first, not always possible, and since thanos will certainly get stunned while waiting the 4 turns for panther to unstunned court death likely won't go off and my team is probably about half dead by that point and I get hammered while fighting bishop because it takes forever to fight him and  panthos isn't exactly deterrent on defense anymore.

I've found it much more productive to skip him entirely than take the 1 in 3 chance that my Panthos might be able to take him down.

I think you have the order reversed that's why you may not have had much success. You actually want Thanos to get stunned first, then BP. The reason for this is that it gives your Thanos a better chance at not being stunned when BP attacks. While both are stunned, your main goal is to try to set the board up in a way that you can make a match that won't trigger Bishop when Thanos becomes unstunned (basically you want red yellow or blue ap to match on the turn Thanos is active).Then BP comes back an attacks.

I know it's a bit tricky at first and board dependent, but I would be interested to hear your results if you are willing to give it a try. I understand the reluctance though as it is health pack intensive but it maybe an option for the last leg of your climb if there are a lot of low level Bishops out. 

It's actually not as slow as other options because once you have pulled it off, the enemy team is taking constant damage from BP and Thanos passives. Additionally, against Beta/Bishop teams, Thanos purple can prevent Beta from generating protect tiles which is helpful.

However, if that isn't your cup of tea, have you tried Hawkeye/Worthy Cap?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ive used HE/Hammercap/Gamor4 to beat Bishop-Kitty-Bill, multiple times.

Dont even have HE champed.  I have like 7 covers, and only generate 2 red/blue AP per CD.

Its doable.  But lengthy.  And rather annoying.  

But i also know that i can run this team against any Bishop team and win.  Pros and cons i guess.

I know i shouldnt be gunning for speed...  There is a measure of speed one wants when playing a mobile game, however.  Also, i enjoy the challenge.   Its a good thing i like puzzles.  :)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    My anti-Bishop teams are either Vulture/G4mora/Loaner if i'm in a spot where speed isn't that critical, or it'll be brute force via Okoye/Profe$$or X with +2 team up, and hope for a Match-N in turn 1 or 2. This happens often enough that I will occasionally target Bishop teams on purpose if they're worth points, but generally managing my health climbing is more important so I'll skip them. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    OJSP said:
    I rarely get involved in these sort of discussions anymore (where we ask for advice about beating one specific character), because I don't particularly find them enjoyable anymore (because there's a lot of debate that is going nowhere) and I find them complicated especially in PvP (Like in the OP's situation, I didn't really feel I could answer the question and there was only very little time to come up with one before the season was finished without getting more information). Like many others have posted, there are many answers and some might work for us, some might not. Some might like the answer, some might not.

For PvE where the levels of the opponents and who they are preset, it becomes easier to discuss and most of the time it also requires knowing more than just the team we use to successfully defeating a node, specifically their levels and which opponent to target first. 
    This is because for PvP there's a lot of variables involved like what our roster is like (to know our MMR and what options we have), what level of the opposing character is (in this case Bishop), what kind of points we have for the event (to balance risk of retaliations and hits during hops), and also what the actual team is that we're trying to beat (Bishop paired with Okoye takes a different tactic than Bishop paired with BRB or JJ).

Having said that, I can beat Bishop using my 4*s. With my MMR, usually I have to rely on boosted 4*s so I could deal with the other opponents. But, when there's still a lot of time left in the event, I've used IM40 Peggy, IM40 Iceman, Vulture Gamora, etc. against 5*/Bishop teams. With my 5*s, depending on Bishop's level, I've had various results with multiple combinations of single 5*, 5*/4* and double 5* teams. I know my 4*s are relatively high levels, but I've tried using my lower level duplicates too. I rarely hit Bishop teams on my hops, but sometimes if they are the only available points, then I'd risk it (sometimes by bringing my own Bishop).

Bishop is indeed another jack-of-all-trades character like 5* Gambit was, but because he's a 4*, he becomes an option for 4* players to beat 5* teams. Not like Gambit where he was really hard to beat with 4* teams and even 5* teams. The 4* players hit the wall when Gambit was everywhere. At least with Bishop, there are many more ways to beat him. When the 5* players are unhappy, it's usually because their previous hard work obtaining the 5*s became less of an achievement. I know not everyone has the time to play to get the characters at the same pace, so their experiences will be different and some of the players (if not most players) won't have all the options to deal with him. The newer characters with an abundance of good blue powers also don't help the situation because it makes it more appealing to keep using Bishop as an accelerator. WorthyCap is another option, but I have no patience waiting for the CDs to resolve and without Hawkeye, he's not really reliable as an accelerator.

In this game, usually we could only say what is successful for us personally, unless we know from other people's experience that a particular team has had a decent success rate against a certain character. The experience will be different to other players in a different situation and circumstances. It doesn't mean any of the players are wrong or it's a measure of the player's skills or abilities if the suggested teams are not working.

Personally, I still think Bishop will be fine if we (or specifically the developers) manage to stop his AP generation and his passive becomes an active power, the exact moment the threshold is breached. At least that way there will be a predictable way of dealing with his passive. At the moment, if we are lucky to have a board that could make a lot of cascades, he could either make up to 30 blue APs or be downed without making any APs. If we're unlucky, even when making a basic match-3 on our weak colours, we could get a big cascade that triggers his power multiple times. That's not right.
    It's not just that 4* players can use bishop to beat 5* rosters.  It's the asymmetry of the situation in terms of countering bishop.

A 4* player with bishop can often play bishop + a good boosted combo and go toe to toe with 5* meta teams.  It's healthpack intensive, but allows a 4* roster to hit way above their weight.  And because this team has 4* match damage, it doesn't struggle nearly as much against stunner bro meta teams, AND it has 4* mmr, so it isn't punished defensively. 

Meanwhile, a more advanced 5* roster might have many better options to counter stunner bro teams.  But lots of those options are 4*-only, and therefore unplayable because mmr means those teams will be eaten alive unless you are shield hopping all the way from ~600 points.

It's a pretty strong disincentive to jump into the 5* tier until you have one of the few viable 5* anti-stunner bro combos available (because you are clearly better off staying in 4* land mmr). And anything that disincentivizes roster progress in a roster building game is bad.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hit skip 
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker

• Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    8 hours into the end of the season all teams that I got in simulator are using bishop, getting a non bishop team meant skiping at least ten times and at that point I probable get a team 40 or 50 lvls above myself so the cycle repeats... Not funny at all..., instead of a button to skip there should be a button to re roll the opponents team... 
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Steve111 said:
    Can someone post a guide how to defeat Bishop please. Am sick to death of him. For many reasons. Thanks. 

Easy answer: don't.  Skip him and play for 50 (or 75) wins instead of 1200 points and realize you're much happier.

Hard Answer: Take Okoye, Profe$$or X, and either Grocket/5Thor/4Hulk and several team-up boosts.  Pray you get a match-5 (or 2 match-4s) and nuke him on the first turn before he gets a chance to do anything
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:

So, I hope I can show that: 1. 4* players can beat 5* teams with Bishop and climb while managing retaliations. 2. Climbing with Bishop is possible if we can time our climb and manage our health packs. The random hits are usually from comparable teams which could be dealt with quicker than fighting against double 5*s. 3. 5* players can still beat Bishop (depending on who else in the team)

This has always been true.  What people have lost sight of is the true criteria for winning placements and covers.

1.  Understand who plays in your leaderboard, and know the limits of their roster and ability to play at times or under pressure.  

2.  Rewards are won and lost based on the leaderboard situation not whether someone runs a Bishop, Worth Cap or a 500.

3.  Hit situationally and from position.

I stopped worry about wins and losses and focused more on when to play and anticipating which players are active.  In fact its better to RETREAT and lose a match than miss out on a double of a bigger que (and it doesn't even matter if its a double 480 5* or a grill.)

In fact I enjoy it when the snipers start early.  It gives a free license to hit from low and try out different combos.