Thick as Theives: Essential Switch?

Options
PiMacleod
PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
Was playing along, Gritty-naut-ing as usual... When the game did a quick reload.  You know, when all of a sudden you're forced back to the menu, because the server did something, or your phone hiccupped or whatever.

Went right back in, like nothing happened.  Right back to my Essential 5*s that i was wrapping up.  The 4th clear to be precise...  I didnt even look.  Like most of us here on the forums, we know the buttons and the layout.  We just click click click, unless we need to make a change to our team.

I was half-way through the match when i realized it wasn't 5* Kingpin fighting with my Gritty.  It was 5* Prof X!  Checked his powers... Yep, it was him (not just an image swap or error).

Finished the fight, and yep, it was the right node - the 5* essential.  And it also now says "Professor X" in the title.... Not Kingpin.

Its not like i mind the change.  Still got my 4th clear.  But figured i'd see who else got this... And obviously let the community know.
Tagged:

Comments

• furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Happened to me too. 
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    4* changed to WorthyCap as well, instead of MODOK.  3* is Spiderman instead of Strange, and oddly enough 2* is still Bullseye.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That is weird!
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rewards still show Strange and MODOK in progression.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Same here. Had to look twice and restart, but there it is. And they are not boosted either. Correction: Prof-X and Worthy cap are not boosted, the 3- and 2-stars are.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Whaaaaaat???

I'm seeing the same thing. It's got to be a bug. Spiderman also replaced Mr. Sinister as the token cover, which no longer opens the Scheming Mr. Sinister token store
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I went in and checked my sub 1 requirements.  The text still says Kingpin (5*), MODOK and Strange as being the required characters.  Actual nodes require Prof, Worthy Cap and Spiderman.

This is beyond weird.
  • qandols
    Options
    Compensatioooooooon!  :D
  • qandols
    Options
    Ditto that!
  • pheregas
    Options
    qandols said:
    In my opinion, using Prof X instead of Fatpin is a bonus for us. 
    Bonus or not, there will be a percentage of players that will be unable to compete the way they had been.  Grind times will be affected.  That one guy with a sole Kingpin champ will go back to being less competitive.  

In all my time playing this game, I don't ever recall something so egregious as essentials being randomly changed before the end of the first sub, let alone at all during an event.
  • qandols
    Options
    Thus my outcry. I will not suffer greatly, but many players will have their game plan turned wayside by this.
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    same here. and the worst part is the "new" essentials aren't boosted.... good luck with that 5* essential in scl9.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    qandols said:
    But Spiderman instead of Strange is not  :|
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    qandols said:
    But Spiderman instead of Strange is not  :|
    I would think Spiderman is better in day 2's case.  The 3* node has 3 actual characters (not goons).

Because they move tiles, spidey's purple for defense, and his blue for cheap stun, would be more useful i would think.

But maybe thats just 5* gameplay... They are usually dead before they fire a power for any potential dr strange to retaliate.
  • qandols
    Options
    And just now I got a stockpiled post event Thick as Thieves reward. It just gets better and better.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The sub 2 is borked, the list of essentials is the same as the 12/15/19 run of Thick as Thieves.  Maybe the devs will fix it.

Outside of Essentials it is the same boost list as it supposed to be, including boosting the correct Essentials.

Inside Essentials the 2/3/4s are boosted, but the 5E is not.

There's probably some legacy coding where the essential is always boosted in their nodes but the 5Es are newer and therefore (I assume) pulling the boost/not boost toggle from the event boost list.
  • qandols
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Also the Recruit button stops working. You have to back out from the event to get it. Gremlins are a-foot. Maybe best to stop playing before the game decides to sell all your camped 5*:s.  :o
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    qandols said:
    Also the Recruit button stops working. You have to back out from the event to get it. Gremlins are a-foot.
    My guess is that there is some framework code that layers onto the base event code which drives:

1.  Essentials
    2.  Boost list
    3.  Store that the event points to.

The store for the last run of TaT was the normal vanilla TaT vault which does not exist since this is the "new 5* release event!".  The sub wants to point to the TaT vault since the code switched to copy the run from December, but there's no vault so it goes nowhere.
  • pheregas
    Options
    Does this mean that PVE has stopped providing Sinister special store heroics as rewards?

Forget Prof$.  It's time for $ini$ter!