With Bishop and Hammer Cap having the nerf hammer hanging over their heads, what would you do?

Options
rawfsu
rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
I have been hoarding CP in an effort to finish Bishop, when suddenly, discussion on character rebalancing has once again reared its ugly head on the forums. Bishop and Hammer Cap have clearly been marked for "rebalancing" (NERFING), which will make them completely useless in one fell swoop. Maybe one will get it, maybe both, who knows? I'm in a position where I could finish either character in the near future. What would you do?

With Bishop and Hammer Cap having the nerf hammer hanging over their heads, what would you do? 16 votes

Level Bishop and enjoy him while he lasts!
43%
zonatahuntKGBbowla33jp1ManoPAMoonKnightKungfullama12 7 votes
Level Hammer Cap, Bishop is done for sure!
12%
Captain_Carlmanbluewolf 2 votes
Bishop and Hammer Cap are both goners! Put your resources towards other 4*'s!
43%
abmorazTiggidarg72brollspidyjedi84StillMonsoon3Blabla17 7 votes

Comments

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
     No option for: “champ them all, Nerf or not they’ll be hemmoraging rewards before you know it!” on that list?
    Yep, champ them both. Who has no intention of ever champing Talos and Frost?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What do you mean "saving CP" for bishop?  Did you mean to direct buy covers at 120cp? 

I would never, under any circumstances, recommend direct buying 4* covers.  That is a bad deployment of CPs, even for someone like bishop or r&g.    So definitely don't do that.

As for the original question, I would still plan to cover and champ bishop and worthy under any circumstances.  But I agree that extending oneself right now (e.g., spending that little extra HP to mine out a vault etc), might not be worth it until we see what comes of this character rebalance initiative.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My opinion...

Champ Bishop. Bestest brokenest character in the game. It will likely be awhile before they nerf him. So you have time to benefit from his presence on your roster. I wouldn’t invest in a big Bish, as he can do what he does at low levels. Smaller Bishop means smaller trigger for the jump in front, so you’re good there. If the goal is to champ em all anyway, a pending nerf doesn’t mean much. 

Hammer you can get to whenever.  He’s not really broken alone. If you have a champed Hawkeye he becomes a priority, as they are a great defensive team in pick-3. Otherwise I’d say Bishop, then someone else (a beefier Grocket is always good!). 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know and understand that WorthyCap and Bishop are exceptions to the rule, but A LOT of the feedback in the balance thread specifically emphasized a preference towards buffs over nerfs. Unless you're working off of information from Discord or something, that I don't know about, it's entirely plausible that the re-balance doesn't nerf those characters. We might just end up with more viable counters to them.

I see no reason to treat anything that hasn't happened yet as a foregone conclusion.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Well it depends on if you have some other really good 4* to invest in at this time and your long-term plan.  I think there is a chance they do nerf Bishop, history shows he won't be too good afterwards.  If you plan on champing all 4* anyway, then champ him now so you can at least get some decent use out of him.  If you don't plan on champing all 4*, then you should probably wait and invest in other good 4* right now if they are available to you.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are you a 3*, 4* or 5* player? If I were you and you are a 3*/4* player, I won't bother about them if you have a wide roster. I don't find them fun to play yet even though I got them champed.

If choosing one of them is compulsory, then Bishop is better.

How's your roster like?
  • rawfsu
    Options
    I'm 3*/4* player, with no fully covered 5*'s. I'm PvP focused tapping out at around 800. Having played for years now, I know the mentioning of a nerf means there will be a nerf. I HOPE there will be rebalancing instead, but history over the years has taught me otherwise.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As others have said, don't spent CP on Bishop. You can set him as your sole 4* target hero and finish him that way (assuming you already have Grocket finished since he's more valuable and arguably Juggs is too).

I'll also chime in that I think any rebalance or nerf is months (as in 2nd half of the year or after next anniversary) given most games have schedules set a few months in advance.

KGB
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just to be clear, as a Discord user, there is no information from there or anywhere about who might be nerfed or buffed or anything.  Devs are in an almost complete (beyond the rare forum post) communication shutdown, it seems.

Many players think Bishop should be nerfed and the devs' normal approach in the past has been to, after producing an OP character, nerf them.  And when it happened there were always players who were upset, and quit, and many come back. Prior to nerf announcements there were always people insisting the character was fine/good/needed etc.

(Yes, of course OML was not OP when he was nerfed.  That has been pointed out many many times before, and I agree.)

This isn't to say one way or the other whether Bishop or Worthy will be nerfed.  Maybe they will; if leveling them is going to require a significant loss of resources then you should probably leave them alone for now and focus elsewhere.

As others have said, don't use CP to directly buy any covers for these two.  Unless you are suddenly planning to jump into PVP in a major way they probably won't help your game as much as a bigger Rocket, Juggs, or someone who speeds up your game or can be more versatile (Vulture and Gamora, for example, can get past a lot of nodes and teams).  But again, just target people instead of directly buying covers.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I'm a 4* player and plays PvPs to top 50 in SCL 9. I rarely use Bishop/Cap Worthy to climb. In the last 1 year, I used Bishop in probably only two or three PvPs for defensive measure, and I rarely use these two at all for climbing. 

Because you're still a 3*/4* player, it's unlikely for the opponents to trigger your Bishop regularly unless it's against R4G and any combination with him, Cardusa or maybe against 3* Iron Fist. 
    You might deter potential 5* players, but your fellow 3*/4* players will beat down your Bishop team easily. 

If you see a lot of the above team combinations, then champing Bishop is better.

I believe that Juggernaut and R4G will make your PvPs a breeze and they might help you push up to 900 points for that extra 4* cover. They are also a pretty good defensive team. Getting 800 points should be easy with them. Just wait 8-16 hours after the bracket of your PvP starts to allow other players to fill up the points and you won't find yourself getting targeted by champed 5* players.

• rawfsu
    Options
    I'm definitely PvP-focused, which I why I mention these two. I have Rocket, Gamora, and Vulture all completed and championed. My Juggs is at five covers. I've seen it mentioned about not using CP for covers, would anyone like to explain? For me, I've had so many 4* unicorns, CP was the only way I finished many of them. Medusa, Chavez, and Nico to name a few.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Your CP should saved for the 5* transition (latest legends or another special 5* store). If you think 4* is hard, wait till you start in on the 5* transition. You need the CP for then.

Also sometimes we get special stores where certain 4* covers are more likely (we had one around anniversary) and again you want your CP to spend in that store to increase your chances of getting 4* you want since those stores are always the best 4*.

An argument can be made for spending 120 on 1 single cover to finish a character to champ them, especially if you have a bad build (Rocket with 3 yellow instead of 5) and need to respec. But you should not be doing that regularly especially now with target heroes and with the update to shards that make all 4* have a feeder.

Incidentally Nico wasn't worth spending any CP on. She's no where near meta in the 4* tier. Bishop will only help when you face 5* teams (which shouldn't be often for you) or vs other Rocket teams (but you should be able to easily skip them as I do in 4* land)

KGB

P.S. I know you are PvP focused but I hope you are playing PvE to at least the point where you get the 4* cover in progression and ideally finish and get the CP reward at the end.
  • rawfsu
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm headed in that direction @KGB, as these two are the last 4*'s I'm really chasing before I sit on CP for the special stores. My highest covered 5*'s are Prof X (about to leave latest), Phoenix, and Thano5, which are both stranded in Diluted Land (Classic Legends). I won't have any other use for CP after finishing either Bishop or Hammer Cap, just want to know which one is the right call based on player feedback.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rawfsu said:
    I'm definitely PvP-focused, which I why I mention these two. I have Rocket, Gamora, and Vulture all completed and championed. My Juggs is at five covers. I've seen it mentioned about not using CP for covers, would anyone like to explain? For me, I've had so many 4* unicorns, CP was the only way I finished many of them. Medusa, Chavez, and Nico to name a few.
    Look at it this way...you have 120 CP which can be used in Classics for 6 covers or to buy a cover.

26 pulls gives you the cover (from shards) you could buy.  So you are in essence trading 5 pulls away to get that cover faster.

You know....dilution sucks and you will certainly complete a character a lot faster from buying covers vs making those pulls, although you will get to get a whole ton of covers among the other 90 4's which could slowly build them up.  Slowly.  Eventually you can begin to get champ rewards from some of them.....but man!  That will require 32 million iso if you ever wanted to champ them all.

You do you, there's no wrong answer really.  This game has become insane with dilution and you should set your goals and follow your plan.  If all you want is some low level 4* meta champs then burn your CP on direct buys.  If you want to try to build a broad roster then pull Classics, use targeting for meta 4s, and make gradual slow progress.  If that gets boring/frustrating buy some covers instead.

Honestly half the time I'd recommend people just starting the 4 tier to walk away from the game.  They still haven't improved rewards in 2 1/2 years and you'll probably never champ more than half of them anyway even if you do stick at it.  
  • rawfsu
    Options
    I had actually quit for almost a year, but this was back when there was the 3* champion nerf. I went from 800 to 900 in PvP to barely reaching 400. I'm comfortable with my roster, but wouldn't mind having a powerful character before they get nerfed. So far, every time I'm about get that character, they get nerfed. This has been the case with XFW, OML, and 5* Gambit, to name a few.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If you are interested in Juggernaut, you can put him as your BH or Shards Hero. 3* Magneto gives a total of 600 4* Juggernaut shards, so you might want to focus on Magneto.

As for using 120 CP to buy a cover, I would say don't because you have many meta characters on your roster.

You will get 1 BH cover for every 27 Classic or LT pulled. 

Playing PvE gives you the most rewards, compared to playing PvP. With Juggernaut and R4G, it will take you ~20mins to for 4 clears in SCL 6/7, if you rushing for time.

If you've noticed, it seems that X-men characters always get the nerfs most of the time.  :D
  • rawfsu
    Options
    The last time I played PvP was over Christmas for the double ISO. Besides that, the grind just kills me. I like the in and out of PvP better. Less rewards, but also less time. I have a pretty good quick kill team when I play PvE, so I'm good there. That's a great point about the X-Men characters lol
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Who said Bishop and Hammer Cap are getting nerfed?
  • rawfsu
    Options
    Nothing has officially been announced, but being around this game for as long as I have, once the forums focus on a character or characters, the nerf hammer is coming.