Squeal with delight.

Options
tiomono
tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
Here is your $9.99 bundle to round out the extra 50 shards we got. 750 shards for spiderham.

Comments

• tiomono
    edited January 2020
    Options
    But you need to bring home the bacon! I love the character but he is not that good in game. This also does feel like a lousy marketing squeeze attempt. 

We need captain hook saying "bad form Peter".
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gross, why would i spend money on a character i can only earn once a year and a 4 star to boot. He will never be used.
  • tiomono
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Nerf Bishop and maybe I'll spend some money on stuff like this.  
    Oh if only we could overclock this "deal".
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I play enough Spider-Verse teams that having another of them moving up the champ ladder isn't a bad investment. My issue is he's so limited to begin with, and not like Howard limited. I'd nab it for the HP alone and since my bonus heroes is about to become inactive. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    If only there were ways to beat Bishop now. Oh, wait....

I am not spending money on a character I will only use once or twice a year.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tiomono said:
    A normal 4* offer is 1 cover, 10K iso, 3CP & 8 elite tokens for 3600 HP (roughly $25).

This is 1 7/8 cover, 1 CP, 7K iso & 1000 HP (worth about $8) for $10.

It's almost worth it for the HP alone & still less than 1/2 the cost of a normal 4* deal with almost double the covers. You've got to be trying pretty hard to call that price gouging or predatory...

Still not buying it.
    Maybe not price gouging but it's definitely predatory. We get 450 shards through playing the two 12 day events to completion. That got us 1 spiderham cover plus 50 leftover shards. Then a $10 dollar deal to let you use those 50 leftover shards to get 2 more covers. Why not let the deal be 800 shards? Because they are "preying" on the customer that doesnt want 50 "wasted" shards sitting on a limited character.

You don't really see the leftover shards unless you go looking for them.  I get what you're saying, but give it a week and you won't remember the 50 shards are there unless more come around.  I'm not buying either, but giving us more than enough shards for a character is not in the top ten of worst things they have done.  It also gave some players a cushion if they missed a day or couldn't complete one of the nodes (as long as that node wasn't for 60 shards).  They could have (and probably should have) made it 800 shards but I've gave up expecting them to value things the same way I do a long time ago. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Borstock said:
    bluewolf said:

Well, not everyone has the tools to best bishop now (and it's still quite hard to acquire more than a few covers for any given character in the short term).  On the other hand, bishop is also only a problem for those players who are firm 5* players and also regularly play PvP above 600 points or so

I wonder what the overlap is between those two groups (and that's not snark.  I honestly wonder about the overlap).
  • Borstock
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Borstock said:
    bluewolf said:

Well, not everyone has the tools to best bishop now (and it's still quite hard to acquire more than a few covers for any given character in the short term).  On the other hand, bishop is also only a problem for those players who are firm 5* players and also regularly play PvP above 600 points or so

I wonder what the overlap is between those two groups (and that's not snark.  I honestly wonder about the overlap).

As a 5* player who finishes progression every PvP, I can generally beat any Bishop team, while my defensive Bishop+Gritty team is consistently bested. The only time Bishop is difficult is when he's paired with a ridiculous Gritty, and that's mainly because of Gritty, not Bishop himself.

I have no idea why gripes with one character would stop someone from buying an unrelated offer like this one. The real problem with this offer is dilution, and the fact that a Limited 4* is never going to be particularly viable when there are other options you can more readily level up. They've basically handicapped him. It's pointless.
  • Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 154 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Maybe not price gouging but it's definitely predatory. We get 450 shards through playing the two 12 day events to completion. That got us 1 spiderham cover plus 50 leftover shards. Then a $10 dollar deal to let you use those 50 leftover shards to get 2 more covers. Why not let the deal be 800 shards? Because they are "preying" on the customer that doesnt want 50 "wasted" shards sitting on a limited character.
    The problem with this line of thinking is that it also applies to the other 150+ characters that have shards. In fact, it's a built in flaw with a per character shard system, but that's the whole system, not this particular deal. The 12 hour cycle of 20 shards for HP would still cost way more & caps at 1 cover.

I'm guessing most people are sitting on 1,000s of "loose" shards on their roster since everything changed. What makes this deal worse than all those other characters? Being Limited? Being a fraction of the cost for the others? By nearly any metric this is an objectively better offer than any other sharded character, or any other cover offer for that matter.

I don't like shards. I've quit plenty of other games that use them, and even after 2000+ days it made me consider quitting MPQ, too. Losing other champ rewards to make room for them instead of consolidating iso or HP was far more upsetting than a reasonably priced offer that I'm still not inclined to buy.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options

yea, I find this pretty offensive.

Considering there is NO OTHER WAY to get shards for this character, for the only way to get a full cover after they've given us shards is to PURCHASE them.

They have got to be joking.

• Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not everyone wants to use Bishop, or leave a bishop out on defense.  And reluctance to spend as a reaction to reluctance to even acknowledge Bishop issues (or any issues, or any communication about anything anymore) is logical to me. 
  • Borstock
    Options
    Vins2 said:
    Not everyone wants to use Bishop, or leave a bishop out on defense.  And reluctance to spend as a reaction to reluctance to even acknowledge Bishop issues (or any issues, or any communication about anything anymore) is logical to me. 
    There's always going to be strong characters. All you can hope for is some way to counter them. We have that now. We have several options. To say they won't spend money on the pig just because of Bishop? My goodness. They're not even remotely related to one another.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Add worthy cap and I’m in as well.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1000 HP is about $9. The rest are basically $0.99.

As for people getting pissed off with this "unethical" or "predatory" technique, I wonder how they think about other companies using these psychological pricing as well. When I'm out of my home, I can easily see more than 100 companies using these "dirty" techniques to increase revenues in a day. I guess revenues will magically increase without using psychological pricing.  :/

I find it strange that since the dev is made up of such an unethical and manipulative team, I wonder why some who despise them are still playing MPQ. People who take real action will simply stop playing MPQ, instead of contributing to their statistics and data.