What was your free holiday mythic? Do you like it?

Options

Comments

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    I got the masterpiece Hexdrinker.

Trying to imagine how strategically it's worth its weight but nothing really comes to mind.  Seems like a pretty bad masterpiece.
    1r, 2/2
    2r, 4/4
    3r, 7/7
    4r, 11/11
    5r, 16/16

Simple fact of the matter is it doesn't get big enough fast enough.

I can only think of using this effectively with Borborygmos (sp?) and let him do the heavy lifting but still that doesn't make this card an explosive one sadly. I am sure there are a few other ways to reinforce it via legacy since that is what it seems to be designed for seeing that spending 40 mana for 16/16 is overkill.
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Magic Mirror for me. Looks to be a good card for PvE, not really sold on it for PvP.
    I slapped it in a deck with Emry and a pile of Surveil spells and things got out of control quickly. 
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Magic Mirror for me. Looks to be a good card for PvE, not really sold on it for PvP.
    I got that on release day (one of 2 mythics in my 5 pp pulls lol).

Its a weird card (it won't gain shield if you can't draw any cards), but definitely solid if you can keep it out for a couple turns.  It becomes 2 free cards every turn very quickly.

I actually ran it in a Tezz 1 build in the last Emrakul event and it worked quite well.  It worked less well in my Fathom Mage Jace build because all the other draw effects I have kind of negated it.  It should be pretty awesome in any Beacon Bolt build, although I haven't tried it out there yet.

thanks for the feedback guys! I will see what I can do some more with it tonight
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    starfall said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    starfall said:

Trying to imagine how strategically it's worth its weight but nothing really comes to mind.  Seems like a pretty bad masterpiece.
    1r, 2/2
    2r, 4/4
    3r, 7/7
    4r, 11/11
    5r, 16/16

I can only think of using this effectively with Borborygmos (sp?) and let him do the heavy lifting but still that doesn't make this card an explosive one sadly. I am sure there are a few other ways to reinforce it via legacy since that is what it seems to be designed for seeing that spending 40 mana for 16/16 is overkill.
    Yarosh has also been suggested on facebook.

I think you can do much better than Hexdrinker as an accompaniment to either card.

absolutely. The return for investment based on time and risk for something that could get big is best spent on something that can be strategically played and is big and explosive.

are you referring to Yarok? 

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:

1r, 2/2
    2r, 4/4
    3r, 7/7
    4r, 11/11
    5r, 16/16

I mean, that's great and all, but hardcasting that's 40 mana for a 16/16.  Yeah there's a few ways to sneak reinforcements into play, but compared to alternatives Hexdrinker should be an uncommon in my opinion.
  • 7thGuest
    7thGuest Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hexdrinker + Mirror March got from 1/1 to 120/120 in a lucky turn.
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    mirror march seems like the best bet in the hexdrinker case, but that's always a crapshoot unless zacama is in the picture.

you could build an entire domri deck around spamming his second with hexdrinker as only creature, maybe some repeated reverberations with finale of devastation and chord of calling...

i mean, you could make it work probably maybe, but also probably maybe at the expense of making anything else actually happen and having it all get completely dismantled with one little kill spell.

i don't actually have the card, so can't test any of this myself but i'm ready to jump aboard the meh train for this one. which probably means i will somehow get stomped by it in the next event that i care about. 

speaking of meh, i got sisay. haven't tried her yet and all y'all up there are not helping inspire me much. ho ho ho, yay free stuff!
  • 7thGuest
    7thGuest Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    starfall said:
    7thGuest said:
    Mirror Match will make anything that big on a lucky turn :)
    Oh ya been the victim of that many a time. Hexdrinker appears to hold onto the stats after the reinforcements drop. So a decent run gets you a 20/20+ who stays 20/20+. 

Not a game breaker by any means but fun to tinker with 
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2019
    Options
    7thGuest said:
    starfall said:
    7thGuest said:
    Mirror Match will make anything that big on a lucky turn :)
    Oh ya been the victim of that many a time. Hexdrinker appears to hold onto the stats after the reinforcements drop. So a decent run gets you a 20/20+ who stays 20/20+. 

Not a game breaker by any means but fun to tinker with 

I prefer Seven Dwarves and Mirror March shenanigans. I pulled Hexdrinker a couple weeks back. Not the most competitive, but certainly not unusable either. Once beefed up by reinforcing, the only fear for me is it getting stolen by Mass Manipulation or similar. Here’s the deck I built around it, using Domri:

Hexdrinker
    Borborygmos

Repudiate/Replicate
    Demolish
    Deathsprout
    Casualties of War

Gemstone Caverns
    Domri, Anarch of Bolas 
    Embercleave
    The Great Henge

It’s fun in training grounds. I haven’t tested it more than a few times yet. Pretty good so far.

I did use mirror march initially, but figured why bother with Hexdrinker at all then? Building around it is certainly satisfying once you get it hex and damage-proofed in a match. Plus, wielding the mighty Embercleave! Poor Greg...

EDIT: Tried a version where I removed Borborygmos and added Incubation. So far I like it much better this way...
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I got Giver of Runes as well. I don't think it'll be too hard to throw together a descent adamant deck. I'm pleased.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mirror march seems like the best bet in the hexdrinker case, but that's always a crapshoot unless zacama is in the picture.

you could build an entire domri deck around spamming his second with hexdrinker as only creature, maybe some repeated reverberations with finale of devastation and chord of calling...

i mean, you could make it work probably maybe, but also probably maybe at the expense of making anything else actually happen and having it all get completely dismantled with one little kill spell.

i don't actually have the card, so can't test any of this myself but i'm ready to jump aboard the meh train for this one. which probably means i will somehow get stomped by it in the next event that i care about. 

speaking of meh, i got sisay. haven't tried her yet and all y'all up there are not helping inspire me much. ho ho ho, yay free stuff!
    Probably doesn't help I got Krenko shortly before Hexdrinker, so that was my initial comparison.  Krenko dwarfs Hexdrinker and it's just a rare.
  • Zethish
    Zethish Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I got Ayara and been enjoying her so far with Dreadhorde Invasion  :)
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I got Rankle, Master of Pranks.

Haven't figured outed what to do with him yet... But I've got some ideas.
  • Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    I also got Rankle.  And I also haven't figured out what to do with it yet.
  • Zethish
    Zethish Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Rankle has really surprised me. Against some decks it's just free removal each turn.