What was your free holiday mythic? Do you like it?

FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
I got the masterpiece Hexdrinker.

Trying to imagine how strategically it's worth its weight but nothing really comes to mind.  Seems like a pretty bad masterpiece.

Comments

• Panneo
    Panneo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Mine was Sisay, Weatherlight Captain.
    I was pleased at first (not Urza but at least something) because I wanted to build a 5-color Ugin-deck with Sphinx of the Guildpact and Niv-Mizzet. I did it, but it was not as good as expected.

But when I looked at the possible picks, I also thought: "please do not let it be Hexdrinker", sorry for the pick. My first eldraine mytic was Acclaimed Contender and I still don't understand why this isn't just a common.

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got Magic Mirror, and it's fun! Finally a great Standard target for Emry.
    Plus, it gave me a reason to use the new Naheb.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got a Wicked Wolf.  Haven't tried it yet, but I imagine he's good in a food deck.

Was hoping for Urza, though, as I'm sure everyone else was lol
  • ALEJANDROID
    ALEJANDROID Posts: 71 Match Maker
    I got Circle of Loyalty :( But also got The cauldron of Eternity in an event booster :)
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    I got Giver of Runes. Which seems really good! But I also don't really have any ideas about how to best make use of it.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    I got Emry, Lurker of the Loch. I quite like it for my new Tezz v.4 deck.

Every time I see it though I can't help but think of Sean Bean reading the quote from Civ 6:

"Listen - strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government... You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • Mburn7
    mrixl2520 said:
    I got Emry, Lurker of the Loch. I quite like it for my new Tezz v.4 deck.

Every time I see it though I can't help but think of Sean Bean reading the quote from Civ 6:

"Listen - strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government... You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    I mean, that's pretty much who the card is supposed to be.  So I guess WoTC did a good job  :D
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    Harmonius Archon, which I'm still trying to work out. I guess it's a token-booster? There are (currently) only two Archons so a theme-deck is out.
  • Mburn7
    Xucachris said:
    Harmonius Archon, which I'm still trying to work out. I guess it's a token-booster? There are (currently) only two Archons so a theme-deck is out.
    It's a token booster.  Dont have it myself, but its a real pain to face
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    Mburn7 said:
    Xucachris said:
    It's a token booster.  Dont have it myself, but its a real pain to face
    I just watched Nalthazar's 'Killer Archon' video and WHAAAATTTT???
  • WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2019
    I got the Sisay, Weatherlight Captain masterpiece and, drumroll, she's bugged and doesn't work as written.

Both her abilities mention "for each color among nontoken cards you control" but it only checks creatures and doesn't factor in supports at all.  So having Bolas Vanguard and her in play doesn't yield +8 mana on her fetch ability and doesn't give her +4/+4 either.

Edit: After further experimentation, she ignores Vanguards.  Regular supports works.
  • jtwood
    WiLDRAGE said:
    I got the Sisay, Weatherlight Captain masterpiece and, drumroll, she's bugged and doesn't work as written.

Both her abilities mention "for each color among nontoken cards you control" but it only checks creatures and doesn't factor in supports at all.  So having Bolas Vanguard and her in play doesn't yield +8 mana on her fetch ability and doesn't give her +4/+4 either.
    Bowl me over with a feather
  • Theophilus
    Theophilus Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I got Fervent Champion. It seems kinda meh, but I'm not complaining. He may work his way into a meekstone or knight objective deck, so I guess he's somewhat useful.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic Mirror for me. Looks to be a good card for PvE, not really sold on it for PvP.
  • Mburn7
    Gunmix25 said:
    Magic Mirror for me. Looks to be a good card for PvE, not really sold on it for PvP.
    I got that on release day (one of 2 mythics in my 5 pp pulls lol).

Its a weird card (it won't gain shield if you can't draw any cards), but definitely solid if you can keep it out for a couple turns.  It becomes 2 free cards every turn very quickly.

I actually ran it in a Tezz 1 build in the last Emrakul event and it worked quite well.  It worked less well in my Fathom Mage Jace build because all the other draw effects I have kind of negated it.  It should be pretty awesome in any Beacon Bolt build, although I haven't tried it out there yet.
  • jtwood
    Gunmix25 said:
    I slapped it in a deck with Emry and a pile of Surveil spells and things got out of control quickly. 
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    500 orbs... I guess this is like a first world problem of having every non vanguard in the game. 
  • Mburn7
    500 orbs... I guess this is like a first world problem of having every non vanguard in the game. 

Yes.  Yes it is :D