Will you be buying shards?

supergarv
supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
So, I missed a lot of Shard store turnarounds already and gave the shard store a thought after unhoarding. I‘m especially interested what you people feel about the 5* shard costs.

20.795 HP will get you 400 shards of a 5*, roughly 52HP per shard, so roughly 26.000 HP if you buy one cover. Thats 150€ if you buy the HP in the usual store. So roughly 2000€ for a full 5* character in a micro-transaction based virtual game.

Extrapolating this for a full character at least completely removes my personal intent on investing in this proposition, but how do you all feel? (Anonymous so nobody needs to feel HP-shamed)

Will you be buying shards? 87 votes

For good characters I‘ll make all the shards belong to me
5% 5 votes
I would occasionally buy shards for character where just a few are missing
27% 24 votes
I‘ll only buy shards for a char I waited too long to get the cover for
10% 9 votes
I will not buy those shards
47% 41 votes
Hi, I‘m selling these fine leather jackets
9% 8 votes

Comments

• ROY84
    ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Not a chance. Shard amounts are exceptionally too low and priced too high. Not worth it. 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    So, ultimately HP becomes a currency that has very little use. I typically only spend HP on roster slots, and recently i've been buying 10 packs, because why not.

i have nothing to spend it on, so i will probably buy shards for characters i'm specifically targetting, and to that point probably ONLY the 5star ones. Maybe the 4star if i have a lot of HP to spare, and never ever the three star, because... well c'mon. 

• Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2019
    I may buy a single "pack" for a 5* so I can get exactly 500 shards (160 LL/CL tokens + 1 shard pack) when I have no plans to get more covers via shards.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    I only buy roster slots. When the day comes that I'm swimming in HP, then maybe.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally have HP to spare, so I'm keeping an eye on them, and when they come up for a Character I want, I'll grab some. Certainly not going to be going overboard on them, tho.
  • AWorthyChap
    AWorthyChap Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    My HP is much better spent buying out a vault with the cover I want than buying that cover through shards.  Shards being "colorless" adds zero value for me.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Kitty is at twelve covers and she was like the second or third 5* offered so I got five from the store to get her to roughly 25% done. The only other 5* that I would do that for is Okoye. Spend actual money when I'm pretty much to the point of being post hp? Nah.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I'm waiting to see how shards get implemented into gameplay rewards.  Costumes is largely a pay only luxury, which is fine but was debuted with the promise of a variety of acquisition methods.  I think only Cable was earnable, and a "couple" of 3* costumes were log-in rewards.  
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    Vins2 said:
    I'm waiting to see how shards get implemented into gameplay rewards.  Costumes is largely a pay only luxury, which is fine but was debuted with the promise of a variety of acquisition methods.  I think only Cable was earnable, and a "couple" of 3* costumes were log-in rewards.  
    We also had Classic Mags, IM40 and R&G that were progression rewards for events
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Not unless it gets me to finish a cover and likely only for a 5*.  So yeah, I'm not even looking at the shard store regularly.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope and only looked at the vault once.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    My goal is to champ everybody, so I'm buying 1 set of shards for those I need covers in.  But I think I'm going to have to create an alarm on my phone to remember it's time to check because I'm fairly certain I missed the last offering after checking the previous 3 were characters i already had champed. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i picked up an impulse first set of shards for Miles, who i'm chasing via 3* spider-man, but that's about it. they are way too pricy for my rate of hp acquisition to take them seriously. I would maybe pick some up for a 5* i was chasing if it happened to align with me being HP flush at that moment, but I really don't see it being more than a single drop of them.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    I voted no, but based on the scenario I can see it happening.  Depends on how good the deal is and what it would enable me to do.  For example I can't complete SHIELD Training because I only have 1 cover for 4* Human Torch.  If there was a reasonable deal that allowed me to get him where he needs to be to complete (or at least get to a reasonable completion) it might be worth it.

Outside of scenarios like that never.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bought a few to test the mechanic and see if I was missing anything. But I wasn't.

I understand that there are people who find themselves post-HP. That's not me. I use them on shields in PvP and to buy out vaults when there's a cover I want. So, I'm not going to spend them on a fraction of a cover.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Looks like they let you buy 20 max in one go, so 20 x 115 = 2300 HP for a 4-star cover if you have no shards on that character at all, obviously less if you've been building some up. Aside from the fact that dropping this HP nets you no other resources aside from the cover, I suppose it's not overly terrible depending on how many you need. If I'm for whatever swimming in HP and/or I'm pretty close on someone, I can see myself bending. 
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Looks like they let you buy 20 max in one go, so 20 x 115 = 2300 HP for a 4-star cover if you have no shards on that character at all, obviously less if you've been building some up. Aside from the fact that dropping this HP nets you no other resources aside from the cover, I suppose it's not overly terrible depending on how many you need. If I'm for whatever swimming in HP and/or I'm pretty close on someone, I can see myself bending. 
    That's not quite how it works, the price increases every time you purchase...

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/901803#Comment_901803
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    That's not quite how it works, the price increases every time you purchase...

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/901803#Comment_901803
    SMH. I swear I learned how to read at some point in the past. I promise. Welp, that makes that decision much easier. 
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've bought a couple already. Not with the intent of going all-in, 20 buys, to get a cover, but just once to speed the process a little bit. Once for Worthy Cap, and once for Kamala, because that got her to 300 shards and got her next champ level (headed for that Medusa @ 223 and LT @ 227). Kamala's shards were 35 measly HP. That's nothing. 

I definitely see myself making the one-off buys in the 3* and 4* space from time to time. Maybe a second (even third?) buy in the 4* space if it finishes a character off. 5*? I tend to doubt it, as I'm a long way away from 500 Kitty shards yet.