How much are you playing PVP in the "new meta"?

2»

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am playing PVP the same amount; I need the rewards.
    sinnerjfl said:

So you're just calling me a liar? Okay, cool.Cool cool cool cool cool. 

To be sure, I can only speak for my own personal anecdotes, but prior to Bishop and Cap, once I got over 650 pts or so, if I went unshielded longer than 5 minutes at a time, I'd get hit by at least one or two teams with double 5* champs. And they would hit me regardless of what I was worth because I was a sitting duck and couldn't retaliate.

Nowadays, I almost never get hit by such teams, and I can climb longer.

It's just my personal experience playing the game, but please don't sit there and "NUH UH" me when I'm telling you for a fact it happened constantly.
    That's exactly what I just typed, 5* teams CANNOT queue you until they break MMR, therefore you are safe from them for a majority of the time. Yes, you will have to shield eventually just like we have to as well.

Having characters that "auto-shield" you because they are broken is not and will never be a good thing. 
    There are 2 teams I feel most all 5* players will have that can counter bishop/cap.

Facing worthyeye in a pick 2 pvp? I have near 100% winrate with gamora and bishop. Boosted unboosted, doesnt matter.

Facing Bishop + any 5*? Vulture bishop. A little more risky since it is very dependent on black.

If you are running a dual 5* team these 4* teams will not become your defensive team. So I no longer see bishop or worthy as free shields even though I feel they are way too touchy and would love to see very specific 5* counters come out for these 2 pests.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    None of the Above

I'm playing more because I found the joy in "75 wins".  I can just idly and mindlessly play.  I never have to worry or care about retaliations or getting hit.  It doesn't matter.  Just win and go on.  No worries about double/triple/octuple hitting someone else because... i don't give a tinykitty about points.

It's so liberating.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i play the same. but like others have said, the prevalence of bishop/worthy cap is starting to make pvp way more of a chore. 

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am playing PVP less because it's not fun.
    I wish I never entered the 5 star tier. Pvp is awful lately. 

Overall my time playing this game has dropped dramatically. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    abmoraz said:
    None of the Above

I'm playing more because I found the joy in "75 wins".  I can just idly and mindlessly play.  I never have to worry or care about retaliations or getting hit.  It doesn't matter.  Just win and go on.  No worries about double/triple/octuple hitting someone else because... i don't give a tinykitty about points.

It's so liberating.
    I'll do 75 wins unless the event is garbage (Carnage) and drains health packs left and right or if I'm burned out then I'll just do 40 wins then shield out.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am playing PVP more than I used to due to liking it more.
    After 2120 of PvP, it's all the same.

New characters bring new challenges..but I'm at a stage in the game that it doesn't frustrate me. PvP at least brings more fun than PVE.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2019
    sinnerjfl said:

That's exactly what I just typed, 5* teams CANNOT queue you until they break MMR, therefore you are safe from them for a majority of the time. Yes, you will have to shield eventually just like we have to as well.

Having characters that "auto-shield" you because they are broken is not and will never be a good thing. 
    So 5* players can't see 4* players... until they can? I mean, that's not helpful. 

Here's the thing... I don't even throw out Bishop as a Shield. I generally just use the Boosted list as my teams. But just Bishop and Cap's mere existence is seemingly enough of a deterrent to keep 4* players safer. You say having having an "auto-shield" is not a good thing. I say 5* players getting to wallop 4* players without fear of reprise is a bad thing. So we're at an impasse. 

Also, you are inferring that I NEVER Shield. That's not even close to true. I still get smacked by other 4* players, and I still have to shield frequently. But I am free to climb longer because 5* players used to be able to destroy my teams in seconds, so if I was unshielded, it had to be very quickly. Nowadays with Bishop and Cap, I'm less afraid of staying out longer, but I do still have to shield when I'm done. So it's the same as your "they can't see you until they can" argument. Now I don't have to shield until I have to. :) 

Also, I'm not trying to change your mind and get you to "lose" this discussion. You feel how you feel, chum; that's great. I'm just saying I, personally, think the new meta is great for me (and likely great for most 4* players). It's really working out for me, and I dig it.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:

Just out of interest, what slice is this and how long is it from the start of the event? I think I know your roster and if the MMR threshold is broken at 650, then obviously it's going to be tough to climb with a 4* roster. (Edit: I thought I knew your alliance, but maybe you've moved. So I'm not too sure of what your roster looks like now)

But, for the benefit of other readers, perhaps there's value in discussing this a bit more.

It's possible you'll have a better experience playing in a different slice or later in the event (but not too late). Maybe you're already playing later and that's why you don't get hit as much anymore (not just because of Bishop and Cap. They might deter some people, but if we're worth points, usually someone will hit us).

My guess is you've been climbing too early in the events and you became the few 4* players with the higher points. You might have a better result climbing later when there are more 4* players and lower with high points.

Also, if a retal node is worth 50+ when we have less than 900 pts, then they would be hitting us for around 22 pts or less. We'd only be losing 7 pts or less. In theory, we should still be able to gain points by hitting other teams, if there are other targets to hit (when other players have climbed and they're not shielded).

I can understand why people (not necessarily you) shield early in an event, to protect their points and not waste time to reclimb if they get hit while floating. But, if there are no points available in the slice, what's the point in shielding? We might as well keep hitting each other and build points for the slice. Personally, I haven't shielded below 750 since I was a 3* player, except that one time when my phone bought an 8 hour shield while it was in my pocket.

I left my old (great) alliance because I have stopped playing PVE, and we were a borderline T100 PVE Alliance. I felt like I was hurting us there, so I stepped out so they could stay inside T100. 

My roster is almost all 4* champed with my highest-end ones being in the 310 rannge.

I play the very last slice of PVP unless I slip and choose the wrong time. But I do and always have played the 5th time slice the vast majority of the time.

Honestly, I play whenever I can, haha. I'm too busy to science this stuff out. I play in spurts. I usually get, like, 200 points at a time, but I don't shield until after I get to 600 or so. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    I know we're all interested in shards etc.  But PVP is still just as awful in the Jump in Front era.

Shards will just make it more likely that we'll see more 4/5 teams of Grittyshop and Worthy/HE.

PVP is awful now.  I hate every event, pretty much.

Essentially the devs are setting up a system where wins will take over the game because high scores will fade away slowly for most players.  And grinding out PVP wins is an unfun slog.
  • tiomono
    edited November 2019
    bluewolf said:
    I know we're all interested in shards etc.  But PVP is still just as awful in the Jump in Front era.

Shards will just make it more likely that we'll see more 4/5 teams of Grittyshop and Worthy/HE.

Essentially the devs are setting up a system where wins will take over the game because high scores will fade away slowly for most players.  And grinding out PVP wins is an unfun slog.
    How is shards different than bonus heros in that regard? If shards are slower this doesnt oversaturate the meta market anymore than bonus heros did.

Maybe more people will shard counter characters. I have worked out strategies that I use and never skip worthyeye or gritshop. Any player that goes for wins as opposed to progression should be hitting those teams to punish the abusers.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    bluewolf said:

How is shards different than bonus heros in that regard? If shards are slower this doesnt oversaturate the meta market anymore than bonus heros did.

Maybe more people will shard counter characters. I have worked out strategies that I use and never skip worthyeye or gritshop. Any player that goes for wins as opposed to progression should be hitting those teams to punish the abusers.
    I wondered that as well and the thing I came up with is those who don’t want to micromanage their rosters that much and/or fear “wasted shards” will just target 4* brokenness and move on. 

I used BH to do the following and would often switch targets once I got what I needed. No lost progress, and as a 5* player, the color of the 4* cover very rarely mattered. 

1. Stay up to date champing the most recently released 4s before their shield training
    2. Chase 5* covers via 4* feeders
    3. Pump up the 4s  that are frequently used in the 5* meta (used to be just Grocket, now there are other broken characters). 
    4. And others have used them to chase LT/CP rewards (I always just said I’ll get them when I get them). 

Now that we’ve lost the flexibility of BH switching if we pull the thing we want naturally, I could see people just doing #3 above and forgetting about shards altogether. 

Me personally, I’ve been hoarding everything since shards. I mean everything. And it’s super weird. 
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor

I used BH to do the following and would often switch targets once I got what I needed. No lost progress, and as a 5* player, the color of the 4* cover very rarely mattered. 

1. Stay up to date champing the most recently released 4s before their shield training
    2. Chase 5* covers via 4* feeders
    3. Pump up the 4s  that are frequently used in the 5* meta (used to be just Grocket, now there are other broken characters). 
    4. And others have used them to chase LT/CP rewards (I always just said I’ll get them when I get them). 

I've used them primarily for #2 and only ocasionally for #3 when a broken character like Bishop or Cap would force me to participate in the arms race. Otherwise, there were only so many pulls and so many unfinished 5*s with feeders...

As for pvp jumpers... Yeah, I've seen much more complaints in our game chat lately. Even from players that rarely speak up but otherwise grind everything like clockwork.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    So are Worthy and Bishop teams even beatable?  They seem way harder than past metas. The Gambit meta was even more winnable than these seem (granted based on less than a week of super rusty play)
  • tiomono
    broll said:
    So are Worthy and Bishop teams even beatable?  They seem way harder than past metas. The Gambit meta was even more winnable than these seem (granted based on less than a week of super rusty play)
    If you are a 5* player you essentially have to use 4*'s. 

Worthy I feel is only an issue with 5* hawkeye. I run kitty, 4*gamora, bishop. If you can match anything that's not kitty doing it your golden.

Bishop depends on who he is with. I like 5* daredevil, vulture, bishop. Get your black and win.

Both of these will cost you 1 healthpack minimum to heal bishop back up.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just use one broken character to beat the other.  (Bishop bets Worthy).  In pick-3 PVP I have used Bishop with Okoye and Strange to defeat Worthy Hawk & JJ.  (bring boosts).  All is right in the game now, right?   :D

The reason shards will get people up and running faster than BH is they are colorless, so no one has to worry much about a bad build delaying their ability to run champs.  Dilution?  Sure, that's still going to delay things a lot.  But at least you don't need to worry about which color you get.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I realize that Worthy isn’t hard to beat in pick-2 PVP because he needs Hawkeye to be viable in 5* land. And I don’t need to use Bishop to beat him. Just bring Doctor Strange. Hawkeye will flames his team to death spamming those super cheap arrows. 

Bishop is a tier above in brokenness because he can stunlock you in pick 2 or pick 3 PvP events. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play PvP pretty much the same as always - reach 575 for the CP, then make an judgement call if I have a chance to make top 50. If one or two fights will get me to about 35th or so with <2 hours to go, I'll go for it, then shield. Since I rarely join the same slice, I've seen it vary widely - I've been as high as 30th with 575 points, and other times the bottom end of the top 50 is 900 or more (!). Usually, though, 650 points is enough for top 50.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    My experience in Featured PVPs hasn't changed much, as in the slices I play there are generally enough folks not using either of the 2 that I can still get to 900 with little difficulty. 

Shield Sim is a completely different story, as once I get past a certain number of points, that is ALL I see. I've gotten 2000 like once since Bishop came out, and I only hit full prog during the Anniversary one because we needed half the points. Life is too short to subject yourself to the frustration of fighting either of those 2 with a 5-star character in your lineup. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really have time for PVP so the meta doesn't matter to me.
    My time spent with this game has taken a nosedive, but I also find PvP unplayable now that I champed my first 5*: Old Man Logan. I thought I'd need to champ two or three 5*s before I'd start getting paired against 5* teams, but nope, just one will do, effectively making PvP grueling and unplayable.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really have time for PVP so the meta doesn't matter to me.
    I picked this answer because my engagement in general has dropped over the course of the year. It isn't due to the 4* JumpInFront meta.